Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 05:37 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,131,848 times

Advertisements

General Models:

When in traffic on a highway. Are there certain MODELS OF CARS you automatically avoid getting behind - maybe because of the air turbulence caused by their shape, or because of the pollutants (diesel, gas) coming out of their pipe?

Specific Cars

Two of my cars are RX7s and one of them has a bad turbo seal that need to be replaced; so until I get it swapped out, I try to avoid flooring it when I see a bike behind me, lest you be showered in fumes and oil...

From your vantage, can you really tell the difference between a car that is not operating properly? Or does it make little difference by the time it gets back to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 07:50 PM

18,415 posts, read 7,050,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
General Models:

When in traffic on a highway. Are there certain MODELS OF CARS you automatically avoid getting behind - maybe because of the air turbulence caused by their shape, or because of the pollutants (diesel, gas) coming out of their pipe?

Specific Cars

Two of my cars are RX7s and one of them has a bad turbo seal that need to be replaced; so until I get it swapped out, I try to avoid flooring it when I see a bike behind me, lest you be showered in fumes and oil...

From your vantage, can you really tell the difference between a car that is not operating properly? Or does it make little difference by the time it gets back to you?
Yes, it makes a difference. I can tell when someone is smoking in a vehicle ahead of me. We know when your air conditioning is on because we get sprayed with the mist from your drain dripping, so a car with a malfunctioning exhaust definitely has potential to be a pretty big annoyance.

Big rigs are a particular pia because of the wind pressures and the fact that they can't see bikes very well, but I got behind one once that was on the verge of blowing an engine, spewing a mist of black oil behind him.....not a fun ride.

And there is a special level of Hell reserved for "coal rolling" diesel pickups who seem to take pleasure in creating a smoke screen in front of other drivers and motorcyclists.

Old 04-19-2015, 09:18 AM

39,810 posts, read 26,408,051 times
I watch out for cars I often find to be operated by particularly clueless or irresponsible drivers. Any "riced out" small car, most Subarus, mini-vans and especially Priuses.

Old 04-21-2015, 09:51 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,670,566 times
Mostly I just try to get ahead of any truck that I can't see beyond, since I have to trust them and can't respond to issues up the road.

Old 04-21-2015, 01:43 PM

50 posts, read 65,666 times
^ Same as above. I don't follow behind semi's because I can't see around them. When making a pass, I would linger to the side and behind them a bit to give them a chance to see me in the mirrors before speeding past.

I also watch out for suvs, pickups, and minivans because there are more blind spots.

Old 04-23-2015, 09:02 PM

6,721 posts, read 4,391,447 times
This goes back a ways. Like back in the 70's. Was behind a dump truck, a farm truck carrying corn just cut from the field. Couldnt get around and traffic stopped. Got going he hit a bump, the back tailgate of the dump body wasnt closed all the way. All this corn started spilling out on the road and bouncing up. Was like be being shoot with 100 BB guns at the same time. Had a truck pull out in front of me one time carrying gravel do the same thing.

The most crazy. Coming home from my gf house late one night. There was this tanker truck in front of me, like a milk truck with the shinny tank, with the 2 or 3 hatches on the top. I noticed water spilling out and splashing on the road ahead of me, water no problem. Then, all of a sudden I was dodging large ells on the road. I live in NC. Eel potting like crab potting is or was a big business. Up north eels was a delicacy. Trucks would come down and buy these large eels from fishermen. Keeping them alive in the tanks. I guess this guy didnt put the top hatched back on. Ride long enough. Chit like this happens.

Old 04-28-2015, 12:12 PM

21,717 posts, read 24,957,207 times
Gravel trucks, school buses. Gravel trucks is probably the most frequent threat. If you see a gravel truck, chances are there's gravel all over the road if it's a larger construction project. Plus gravel hitting you when you're at speed is painful. Oh, alfalfa. I'm allergic to it. Smokers although living in the valley tossing butts isn't as common as other parts of the country because people are more aware of fire hazards. Still pretty common though.

Old 04-28-2015, 12:22 PM

11,143 posts, read 7,907,176 times
Yup.. Gravel hurts. So do big bugs at speed. I ran into a bumble bee while riding on the freeway... Right in the chest. Felt like someone shot me.

Old 04-28-2015, 05:18 PM

90 posts, read 216,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
Mostly I just try to get ahead of any truck that I can't see beyond, since I have to trust them and can't respond to issues up the road.

I like to see over cages.

If I can't I slow down and let them get some distance, I go around.

I ride a DR650 with a high seat so I can see over most cars.

Old 04-30-2015, 07:45 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,322,981 times
Mostly I just avoid being anywhere around a semi, flying rubber can ruin your day, year or the rest of your short life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles