Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 08:21 AM

3,042 posts, read 5,001,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
I think most of the respondents thus far have misunderstood the narrator's perspective. He has no idea what he is talking about, but does not know it. How I know this:
Interesting perspective. I still don't think it's a good idea to start on a liter, but it's good to understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2015, 08:43 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,684,853 times
and here i thought a liter bike was a bicycle that held a 1 liter water bottle (that or the OP meant a "lighter" bike)

Old 05-05-2015, 09:00 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Considering the ops attitude the word bravado comes to mind.=
https://www.google.ca/#safe=active&q=bravado+definition
Those thinking of getting into biking ignore the idea that a liter size sport bike is where it starts.

Old 05-06-2015, 07:53 AM

21,876 posts, read 25,139,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
I think most of the respondents thus far have misunderstood the narrator's perspective. He has no idea what he is talking about, but does not know it. How I know this:

There exists a sub-culture of guys who ride huge bikes in straight lines. Some of them call such riding "racing". There were several silly movies about this: "Torque" was one, I don't remember the other, c. early 2000s. There are "clubs" of these guys, like one in West Seattle (Seatown Riders) and another in Georgetown south-Seattle. They ride and "race" much like drag racers of old, see "American Graffiti" film from 1973 for more information on the thought process. The worst give the cops a hard time and do annoying stunts down the freeways. The milder bunches just hang out and look good vs. actually ride much. They're usually close to broke, non-professionals (Blue Collar), and enjoying their own version of the experience. God bless 'em. Don't take any of their perspectives as solid counsel, though.

I'll agree with the narrator of that video, who is rather entertaining in his own way, that if you "take it easy" and are de-facto part of that crowd (like all the buddies he mentions), have at it and yes do start with whatever monster bike you can afford! I've met some of those guys, and they are definitely "cool" in their own way. The bikes are sometimes customized with nice paint, chromed or polished swingarms and similar, nice rims, and etc. Well, it's a free country. If you get them on a technical ride, or heaven forbid on a race track, they freak out. The won't, can't, do that nor should they be forced to without significant training. Training that would alter their outlook on riding. But as I said: you don't know what you don't know. I've tried to get a few such guys out to the track, then realized what they were about and quit my efforts.

To wit: the narrator spends a fair amount of the referenced video (up thread) talking about what "looks good," RE what I mentioned. When I learned to ride I could give a (whoop) what anyone thought. I was not out to "get girls" or impress anyone but me. That attitude (is, was) diametrically opposed to what our narrator and his friends do for kicks. If I want to look good, I'll buy a 2015 Indian Chief in dark red and parade up and down Hwy 99 here in Seattle. While retarded to my way of thinking, thousands of riders must feel the same because they do sell a lot of H-D and "cool" literbikes around here.

Had to laugh: His video is shot in what looks suspiciously like where I grew up, north of Detroit Michigan. That barely qualifies as "riding". (SIDEBAR: In fact, looking at more of his videos, he's definitely in that part of Michigan. Royal Oak is mentioned in a couple videos, I definitely recognize many street names and the interstates and Michigan roads I grew up on incl. I-75, M14, the 696.)

I learned to ride in just that part of Michigan, literally. I had no idea what I was doing, or missing, or anything of the kind. Took moving to and riding in Reno NV (technical roads, in the hills) and then learning what it was really about in northern California (awe-inspiring roads, and also including track schools and closed-course racing) to figure out what I truly hadn't known prior. All that by my early 20s. I spent a couple ignorant years there in Michigan riding in those gridded streets (Troy, Royal Oak, Farmington, Bloomfield Hills, etc.) our videographer there loves with little, if-any, genuine riding challenge. Wiped out a few times, too, though thankfully never going too fast. Low speed, little damage. Low-skill, too, on my part. Who knew?
Yeah, like cars and coffee. Buy expensive sports car (maybe even supercar) and drive it sedately to Starbucks. Not everyone who goes to those is that person but a lot are. Whatever floats your boat. I'm the same way as you are. Northern California has some awesome roads. The part where there's enough people to worry about looking cool is my least favorite part of riding. Get my out to the boonies and the fewer people the better. I'll come back 200-300 miles later and look cool with my sweaty self, helmet hair and a couple hundred miles of bugs if it's all the same to everyone else

Old 05-07-2015, 07:34 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,175,782 times
And "liter bike" covers a lot of territory, from R1's to BMW twins, which offer vastly different riding experiences.

AT one time I too owned a UJM liter bike, a FZ1, basically the Yamaha R1 engine, slightly detuned, in a steel tube frame. I will admit that I did like the power, but when just riding it at 60mph I didn't like it so much. The problem is that a bike with that much power demands constant attention, you never get to just ride along, you have to continuously monitor the bike and rein it back and it's just so much work to ride. It accelerated and braked and handled like an extension of one's will and I sold it and don't miss it at all. Now I have a Triumph Tiger that is actually only 45cc short of being a liter bike but the power delivery is nice and smooth and full and torquey, and I don't feel like I had to work at riding, just get into the groove and go.

Starting out on such a bike is a good way to kill yourself off or put you off riding. Or maybe you can start off on a liter bike, but a big fat torquey one and not a razor's edge.

Old 05-08-2015, 03:26 AM

2,599 posts, read 2,322,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomadAK View Post
AT one time I too owned a UJM liter bike, a FZ1, basically the Yamaha R1 engine, slightly detuned, in a steel tube frame. I will admit that I did like the power, but when just riding it at 60mph I didn't like it so much. The problem is that a bike with that much power demands constant attention, you never get to just ride along, you have to continuously monitor the bike and rein it back and it's just so much work to ride. It accelerated and braked and handled like an extension of one's will and I sold it and don't miss it at all.

Interesting comments. The FZ1 was in a comparison test with the Suzuki version (successor of the Bandit, a 1250cc with about 98 horsepower at the rear wheel) a while back in one of the magazines. Would the Suzuki be the same, needing constant attention and being much work to ride at a sedate pace?

Old 05-08-2015, 05:53 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,418,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
Would the Suzuki be the same, needing constant attention and being much work to ride at a sedate pace?
Pretty much. The last long-term "Personal" liter bike I owned (I'm a mechanic, have a LOT of short term flips) was a Kawasaki Concours 1000 with ~100hp. Where I live the roads max out at 55mph unless you hit the freeway/interstate, which I won't do because there is Zero joy in doing that with any motorcycle. I'd normally ride around using just the first 3 gears to keep from lugging the engine and seem to remember that I could have done it all with just first gear... but that's been a year and a Lot of different bikes ago.

It was one of the least enjoyable riding experiences I've had, just like with all bikes that have 100+ HP. They're fun to accelerate with (past the speed limit), but if you do that too often you're bound to earn a Performance Award from the LEOs. And honestly, it gets old after a short period of time. The engines with more torque are a Little more tolerable because they have pull at lower rpms/speeds which means you get the thrill of rapid acceleration without breaking laws Quite so badly, but I still wouldn't own one long term again.

You do, indeed, have issues with speed creep. When there's so much power on tap, even the slightest throttle change can have you Significantly above the limit. And the bikes are So smooth, so well made, that if you're not paying Constant attention you may find yourself attracting unwanted attention.

Now, my opinion is probably a little biased. I really enjoy the physical act of riding a motorcycle, meaning shifting gears and working the throttle. I've also lost my license before while doing that very thing with a 90hp bike (caught doing triple digits in a 55 zone on a 1987 VFR700). So I prefer lower HP and my favorite streetbike is the 88~07 Kawasaki Ninja250. 28HP is enough to still break every speed limit in the US with a 240lb, 6'4" rider ~ even at elevations above 6k'. But you get all the fun of rowing through the gears, running the engine to redline shifts and basically enjoying all the acts of operating a motorcycle to their fullest without absolutely Crushing laws. The downside is that the bike is physically smaller and not great for long distances (for me, others do cross-country trips with them).

As for the original topic.. I didn't bother wasting my time on the video. I actually DID start on a liter bike (1983 Honda CB1100F ~ was arguably one of the fastest in its day with 110hp). Looking back, it was a STUPID decision and I simply survived the experience. About the only thing I learned was the basic functions of riding a motorcycle, the rest was simply holding on and relying on a Lot of luck. Well, I did learn/accept it was a Terrible choice and moved to a 1986 Honda VF500F with it's paltry 50hp. I learned more riding skills and built my foundation with that bike. I wasn't afraid to get on the throttle with it...

Anyway, today I'd rather ride a bike with less than 50hp. I know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that more HP doesn't add anything beneficial. In 2+ decades and hundreds of thousands of miles I can't think of one single time more power would have been a better option than more brakes (the common citation used for the more-power crowd). I ride "The Pace" and simply don't need acceleration coming out of a corner because I don't do a whole lot of braking going into a corner.

Thankfully it's a free country to like what you want when it comes to motorcycles. My personal path is usually laughed at by most because it's decidedly Not in line with the trends. But then again, I don't ride for Other people either...

Old 05-08-2015, 03:54 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,175,782 times
Quote:
Interesting comments. The FZ1 was in a comparison test with the Suzuki version (successor of the Bandit, a 1250cc with about 98 horsepower at the rear wheel) a while back in one of the magazines. Would the Suzuki be the same, needing constant attention and being much work to ride at a sedate pace?
I never rode a Bandit, but as I recall the FZ1 has about 20hp up on the Bandit and my Fizzie was modded beyond that with a Akropvic (what a racket) and the Ivan's jet kit and made more power than stock. I went back to the stock pipe because of the noise of the Ak but ended up modding the Ak for less noise in the end....anyyway, the games one plays with superbikes can be ill advised. I got the idea into my head to see how fast the bike would go in 1st gear and at 60 mph the front wheel came up on it's own...in a double fine zone . I also would take the bride on rides when we were still courting, when it was time to pass slower traffic I would tap her on the leg and twist the grip. 100mph+ without a second thought, I justfied it by saying that we spent less time in the passing lane and that is true but that's the kind of power that a well seasoned rider can abuse without it being terminal.

Interesting that Brian_M mentions the VFR. My first "good" bike was a 83 VF750F, the original Interceptor, the bike where I learned to survive accidental wheelies and stoppies. Not a literbike but still bike enough to get into trouble.

Old 05-08-2015, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomadAK View Post
Interesting that Brian_M mentions the VFR. My first "good" bike was a 83 VF750F, the original Interceptor, the bike where I learned to survive accidental wheelies and stoppies.

That bike looks so much better than these modern day sportbikes.

If you'd like to see the truly ridiculous in terms of styling, look for a pic of the short-lived Suzuki B-King.

Old 05-08-2015, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post

Pretty much.

It was one of the least enjoyable riding experiences I've had, just like with all bikes that have 100+ HP. They're fun to accelerate with (past the speed limit), but if you do that too often you're bound to earn a Performance Award from the LEOs. And honestly, it gets old after a short period of time. The engines with more torque are a Little more tolerable because they have pull at lower rpms/speeds which means you get the thrill of rapid acceleration without breaking laws Quite so badly, but I still wouldn't own one long term again.

You do, indeed, have issues with speed creep. When there's so much power on tap, even the slightest throttle change can have you Significantly above the limit.

Maybe more bikes should have a toggle switch that cuts down power like the Suzuki Hayabusa. Chop off 30% of a 100 h.p. bike and it'll be easier to ride at a sedate pace.

The V-twin cruisers are torquey but they just don't have enough cornering clearance for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles