Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 03:39 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,660,766 times

Advertisements

For normal people, crashes are most likely going to happen at an intersection. A car running a light/sign or left-turning on you. For squids, it is going to be running wide in a corner.

Be extra wise and careful in those situations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 06:37 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcake-charlie View Post
Hi, I am looking into buying a motorcycle to ride in this nice hot weather in the Phoenix area. I was looking at two bikes and just need input on which one to get: Ninja 300 or Honda CBR500.

I am only 5'2" and wanting a bike to ride on weekend just for fun. I am planning on taking it on the highway and cruised to the Grand Canyon. I'm not looking for something to speed in. I already took my MSF but having complications with getting the endorsement on my MN license because that's where my resident is. Also, will I be able to get the bike drop anymore than what the height of the seat is? I know the CBR500 seat height is 31.9" but I need it to be drop down to 28", is that possible? Because that way my feet can be flat on the ground.

Any input, thoughts, etc. would be great. Thanks!
You will probably drop your first bike. mine was a brand new Aprilia... Woops
Wish i had bought a cheap used bike first fo around. Id buy a 300cc scooter or a bike under 500cc.
A Ninja may be a good bike since it is light and narrow..

Also check out a suzuki tu250 or yamaha sr400

Old 06-30-2015, 07:01 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
If you have a short inseam try the Triumph Bonneville. I have very short legs (26" inseam) and can sit on the thing and place my feet flat on the ground. Don't buy a new bike. Get a used one to learn how to ride.

It is very important to wear a helmet even in the heat and heavy shoes or boots that cover the ankle bones and decent gloves. Riding around in shorts, t-shirt and flop flops can result is a lot of damage and pain.
... Be aware, be alert and be careful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsthomas View Post
After 40+ years of riding. Always assume no one sees you, because most of the time they dont.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
..., crashes are most likely going to happen at an intersection. A car running a light/sign or left-turning on you. For skids, it is going to be running wide in a corner.

Be extra wise and careful in those situations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Also check out a suzuki tu250 or yamaha sr400
take heed ^^^^

new-again-to-the-US Yamaha single is the kickstarter that folds out on the right-hand side of bike. It’s your one and only way to start the bike. And that is excellent. Kick starter ONLY!!! (that is not as ez as it sounds, need to develop the skill). (and don't kill it at stoplight)

2015 Yamaha SR400- First Ride Motorcycle Review- Photos- Specifications: Yamaha brings back its street thumper.

This might be my choice, but... I am still using my 1976 Yamaha XT-500 (nearly the same thing) I have an SR 500 too and quite a few XT / TT 500's.

My Yamaha XS650's are pretty low and ez to ride and vintage sound and performance (fun). my xs650 Specials are Especially low to the ground. I get them for under $800, they are a dependable workhorse with an electric starter. I have taken them cross country. https://www.google.com/search?q=yama...ed=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

I raced them flat track when I weighed under 150#, so they are not so hard to handle.
http://silodrome.com/yamaha-xs650-tracker/

Old 07-01-2015, 02:44 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,351,670 times
Quote:
Hi, I am looking into buying a motorcycle to ride in this nice hot weather in the Phoenix area. I was looking at two bikes and just need input on which one to get: Ninja 300 or Honda CBR500.

I am only 5'2" and wanting a bike to ride on weekend just for fun. I am planning on taking it on the highway and cruised to the Grand Canyon.Also, will I be able to get the bike drop anymore than what the height of the seat is? I know the CBR500 seat height is 31.9" but I need it to be drop down to 28", is that possible? Because that way my feet can be flat on the ground.

Yes you can lower a bike, lowering struts for the rear and slipping the forks through the tubes up front, just want to be sure to lower the front and back the same amount. I have a short inseam myself and have to lower my bikes.

Old 07-01-2015, 03:08 PM

281 posts, read 368,373 times
Given your concern with seat height, have you considered that Kawi Vulcan S? It's sporty-ish but has a low seat height. A similar bike might be the Honda CTX.

Both may be a bit more powerful and heavier than you were thinking, but I don't think they'd be bad choices.

Old 07-01-2015, 09:09 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,323,229 times
Quote:
I am only 5'2" and wanting a bike to ride on weekend just for fun. I am planning on taking it on the highway and cruised to the Grand Canyon.

Also, will I be able to get the bike drop anymore than what the height of the seat is? I know the CBR500 seat height is 31.9" but I need it to be drop down to 28", is that possible? Because that way my feet can be flat on the ground.

I say consider a cruiser like the Honda Shadow 750. It doesn't have as much power as the 750 CCs would suggest. I think the seat height is around 28".

If the Honda Shadow is not powerful enough, there's the Yamaha Bolt.

Old 07-01-2015, 09:21 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,373,570 times
Get a Harley Davidson Street 500 or 750. They have the lowest seat height I've seen on a beginner friendly bike. It's in the 28" range I believe.

Old 07-03-2015, 06:36 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,248,821 times
I owned an early 90s honda shadow 600 and even though I was still learning on a permit, I thought it was a slow bike. I never the less really liked the way it looked but as far as cornering goes, I scared myself scraping a peg before I was even aware of proper riding techniques.

OP should buy a used first bike. There should be plenty of people moving up from 250-500 bikes. You can likely find a ninja 300/cbr500 already used. I guess your preference is for a faired sporty bike, so I suppose a cruiser or naked bike is out of the question.

My 5' tall wife wants to ride sometimes but all I have for her is a 1980 cb750c which she is on tiptoes even with the adjustable shocks cranked all the way down. Unfortunately, it's waiting for me to clean the carbs because it won't idle this year. That bike is too heavy for her to scoot over at stop lights to plant 1 foot on the ground.

Old 07-03-2015, 03:45 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,933,130 times
As an old rider my suggestion would be a dual sport bike, and for your first year of riding keep it mainly on the dirt. Dirt riding teaches you to make split second decisions, and to control the bike when it gets out of control, both skills will be needed to survive for long on the pavement.

Last edited by wpme; 07-03-2015 at 04:26 PM..

Old 07-03-2015, 09:24 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,660,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpme View Post
As an old rider my suggestion would be a dual sport bike, and for your first year of riding keep it mainly on the dirt. Dirt riding teaches you to make split second decisions, and to control the bike when it gets out of control, both skills will be needed to survive for long on the pavement.
This is the best advice of all. The MSF course is better than nothing, but doesn't even come close to training on the dirt. If you are pretty sure you are going to be a lifetime rider, an investment in a small dirt bike/enduro, and regular trail-woods time is the best thing someone can do to get their bike handling skills honed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles