Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 01:03 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,345,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I think they both would have been safer in a car given the circumstances as what did them both in was massive head trauma. Wearing a helmet properly fastened would have saved my uncles life and my other buddys chance of survival would have been greatly enhanced had he been wearing a helmet.
I dont advocate eliminating motorcycles but wearing available safety equipment should be mandatory.
you got a crystal ball giving you that info? A helmet would have saved your uncle's life? That's impossible to know. You're basically trolling in this thread, making ridiculous claims.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2015, 01:06 PM

Quote:
If memory serves wasnt helmet wearing once mandatory nation wide, until a bunch of posers challenged the legality of the government mandate in one state that every one should wear a helmet?then bikers in each state used the same cases logic to ban compulsive helmet use in their state. Now we have many states with no compulsory helmet laws.
To date i lost an uncle who actually wore a helmet but was too lazy to do it up well he didnt take into consideration when he hit the moose the helmet would pop off and he would then hit the ground head first.
Then another buddy in Florida who wore no helmet had a run in with a left turning car,he died of major head trauma when he also hit the road head first.
Maybe some one can tell me why not wearing a helmet is a good idea.
too lazy to do it up^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^so a helmet law would have had no effect. None of what you're saying has any logic behind it. I'm sorry for your losses, but don't try to punish the rest of us for them.

Old 09-08-2015, 02:37 PM

281 posts, read 367,072 times
Again, I think very few people are arguing that helmets don't help. The issue is whether or not it should be federally mandated. "Hell no" is my opinion, but I think this horse is dead.

Old 09-09-2015, 02:13 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,161,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloppyRunner View Post
Again, I think very few people are arguing that helmets don't help. The issue is whether or not it should be federally mandated. "Hell no" is my opinion, but I think this horse is dead.
If you guys are upset at government mandated safety regulations you must really get irked when you are told which side of the road you must drive on,or a red light demmands you to stop or speed limits require you to comply to a set speed ,or wear your seatbelts.
IMO the mandatory use of a helmet is just another safety mandate set in place to address those who would otherwise not wear a helmet.

Old 09-09-2015, 04:48 AM

4,192 posts, read 3,735,524 times
Quote:
If you guys are upset at government mandated safety regulations you must really get irked when you are told which side of the road you must drive on,or a red light demmands you to stop or speed limits require you to comply to a set speed ,or wear your seatbelts.
IMO the mandatory use of a helmet is just another safety mandate set in place to address those who would otherwise not wear a helmet.
Being told what side of the road to drive on, what traffic light colors stand for, and speed limits are in place to prevent accidents, nice try. Seatbelts on the other hand are no different than mandating helmets and I 100% disagree with it. I live in NH where seatbelts and helmets are optional but guess what I still wear my seatbelt. Again you want to make people safe even if they choose not to be. Why? its no ones business what others choose. If you want to be safe...go ahead. Seems like you are dodging all of the logical reasons that have been given to you.

Old 09-09-2015, 05:44 AM

79,908 posts, read 44,075,058 times
I mentioned this before but it makes no sense to me hang on the side of a cliff being held there by only your fingertips and toes.

Seems pretty risky to me. Should I try and get the activity banned because it's more risk than I'm willing to take?

I have no idea why so many have this desire to control so much of what others do. People get killed doing things every single day. The vast majority of deaths will never affect you. If it's a loved one and you want to get on them for doing something dangerous, fine. If you can't convince them don't call for a law. I won't allow my sons to ride my motorcycles without a helmet and I wont BUT I'm all for you doing as you wish.

Old 09-09-2015, 06:12 AM

3,046 posts, read 4,108,843 times
Try to tell a motorcycle club like the Hells Angels, or the outlaws to wear a helmet see how far that will get you jour butt will be we're your shoulders use to be.

Last edited by Vannort54; 09-09-2015 at 06:28 AM..

Old 09-09-2015, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
Try to tell a motorcycle club like the Hells Angels, or the outlaws to wear a helmet see how far that will get you jour butt will be we're your shoulders use to be.
they generally abide by the laws when in those states just like everyone else....

edit: but I would love to see some of the pro helmet people share their views and corresponding hostility with A's or O's.....

Old 09-09-2015, 10:04 PM

3,046 posts, read 4,108,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
they generally abide by the laws when in those states just like everyone else....

edit: but I would love to see some of the pro helmet people share their views and corresponding hostility with A's or O's.....
But mostly they ride with no helmet I seen one biker in Detroit with a sticker on his helmet that said helmet law sucks, well enough of them made their point now Michigan is helmet free. I'm in Florida now hometown is Detroit tell you what when it's 95 degrees out and the sun is beating down on you it's just to dang hot to wear a helmet I know I don't I'm not going to put my head into a oven, dew rag that's it.

Old 10-06-2015, 06:35 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,117,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
But mostly they ride with no helmet I seen one biker in Detroit with a sticker on his helmet that said helmet law sucks, well enough of them made their point now Michigan is helmet free. I'm in Florida now hometown is Detroit tell you what when it's 95 degrees out and the sun is beating down on you it's just to dang hot to wear a helmet I know I don't I'm not going to put my head into a oven, dew rag that's it.

I also live in Florida, part time now, and I have to disagree. I've found that a helmet that flows proper ventilation (Shoei full face) and a mesh jacket is actually far more comfortable in the Florida heat than T-shirts and dew rags. That Florida sunshine is brutal and with the wind when riding will close to incinerate you. I didn't believe the mesh jacket thing either until I tried it, and what a difference! You live and learn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles