Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 09:56 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,364,120 times

Advertisements

I really think I got the best of both worlds with my F650CS. It has the safety features (ABS), weather protection (heated grips) and storage (front bay + OEM top case trunk), yet it is significantly lighter, quicker and more fuel efficient than say a TMAX or Burgman. Besides the fact that I have to shift, I just don't think there is anything a maxi-scooter has on mine. Trust me, I'm trying to be as objective about this as I can. I still just don't see it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2015, 10:41 AM

So in sum this is the way I see it when comparing a mid-sized motorcycle to a maxi scooter-

Benefits of a motorcycle:
-better performance
-more fun (a bit subjective but most would probably agree)

Benefits of a maxi scooter:
-stable steady ride
-comfort

Everything else is debatable in my opinion. In my particular case storage is a wash and fuel efficiency is better in my motorcycle than with comparable maxi scoots.

Is this fair?

Old 11-23-2015, 06:20 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,657,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alloo66 View Post
Storage, better weather protection, better gas mileage, lower insurance cost, cheaper entry cost because people in the US don't appreciate the utlitarian aspects of scootering. No image. I've been riding Maxi Scooters for ten years now. Love it in commuter traffic. If people aren't happy with the speed and acceleration of a Hayabusa what difference does it make in commuter traffic. I see more scooters on the ride in inclement weather. Besides by the time that you add your windshield, saddlebags, center stand...etc the cost are about equal to a motorcycle.
I have a 50cc 2 stroke scooter, an Eton, mid level Taiwanese, and it R U L E S city traffic!!!!
City riding here, is all about riding 'smart' (and, a little like a tool ). Using the gutter, filtering and other stuff, I can destroy anything in rush hour! Doing it with ll your stuff under the seat and getting 85 mph, isnt so bad either!
My PCX is real hi-tech unit. Im shocked at what the are getting from a 4T 125 these days! Could easily smoke a DT125 or any old school 2 stroker. Im getting 120 mpg, too!

Scooters rock!!!!

Old 11-24-2015, 05:35 AM

I will say that one place I think a scooter makes more sense is San Francisco. While visiting there I rented a Sym 200 Evo and it was great for navigating the hills there.

Old 11-27-2015, 05:24 AM

62 posts, read 68,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
Why would I ever want to ride a lame Burgman
A paragraph that includes an insult makes people wonder what you are trying to accomplish.

Let's just say that some people prefer motorcycles and some prefer scooters, for their own reasons. Since you chose to ridicule a particular preference, there really isn't a platform for objective discussion.

Old 11-27-2015, 10:16 AM

What I'm trying accomplish is to gain an understanding of why a market exists for maxi scooters. I'm also perfectly content with those too oversensitive to tolerate words like "lame" to sit out of the discussion.

Old 11-27-2015, 03:03 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,027,847 times
Entry level riders and riders that are retiring from big bikes. Can't beat the storage and the legshield protection.

Old 11-29-2015, 06:09 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,027,847 times
A market exists because in Europe, Asia, Africa, Australia people ride scooters as daily transportation as opposed to a recreation vehicles. More scooters are sold than cars.

Old 11-29-2015, 09:08 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,657,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alloo66 View Post
A market exists because in Europe, Asia, Africa, Australia people ride scooters as daily transportation as opposed to a recreation vehicles. More scooters are sold than cars.
Look at a vid of Taiwan Scooter people are going NUTS! They flood every square inch of roadway doing all kinds of crazy stuff! Huger scooter culture. We have HD's for our lifestyle people, they have scooters. I guess lots of 'mericans are programed to dismiss that which they do not understand? IVe had every type of bike one can have-- I have a big BMW right now. But, If I could only pick one for the rest of my life, it would be a scooter, without a doubt

Old 11-29-2015, 09:37 AM

The scooters used in mass quantities in Asia, Latin America and Europe aren't maxi scooters though, they are 50-200cc. People ride them because they are the most economical form of personal transporation available. There is no market in those places for big heavy highway capable scooters that cost $8,000-11,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles