Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 06:16 AM

643 posts, read 471,288 times

Advertisements

There have been three people hurt or killed on bikes we knew as acquaintances this past week. One I am not exactly sure what happened, but he lost control and hit a tree. I don't know if he was doing something wrong or not, the others I know did nothing wrong. They were doing it all right, wore helmets rode safe and a car pulled out and took them out.

My wife and I were riding over to one of the keys off of Englwood fla. this past weekend, we like to take the back way to avoid as much of the traffic from the snow birds,they make it hell to drive. In Fla you either have over 70 who should not have a DL or 16 who also should not have a DL turning in front of you or almost driving into you. We had 2 incidents that gave us a bit of a shock. An Octogenarian that turned and stopped dead in the road making us vear around him and 16yo who decided to cut traffic and cross when there was no such room to do so, both almost causing an accident.

My question is has anyone ever decided as much as you like to ride ever thought about giving it up due to the idiots on the road? More and more people at least here in Fla. Many who should not have a DL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2016, 07:35 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,120,183 times
The idiots on the road won't make me stop, I realize I just have to up my game around them. Rode for a long time in Florida and learned the good riding is in the interior. There are good, and empty, roads out there, you just have to go find them. Beach riding will diminish your mental faculties and cause indigestion, it's just a fact of life. Vacationers let their brains go on vacation too and you need to adjust your riding accordingly.

Now I live in the Western North Carolina mountains and believe me, it's just as bad here as it is there. Hot shoes and sight seers on these roads is challenging. Stay safe, and always remember they ARE out to get you.

Old 03-02-2016, 07:38 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,411,984 times
Sure, plenty of people. I'm sorta there myself as I haven't owned a bike for about a year now and am slowly winding down my customer base (as a MC mechanic) so I have fewer of those bikes to ride. Mine is not a decision from fear of other drivers or a close call but simple boredom. I'm not entertained by road riding anymore and don't have access to off-highway stuff (ADV type) within a reasonable distance.

Once I wrap up some other major life time-sucks, I might jump back into trackdays or roadracing, heck maybe even off-road racing. But for now, I don't really ride on the roads much. Huge change from the years when I was doing 30k/year.

Old 03-02-2016, 09:38 AM

3,041 posts, read 4,998,632 times
I'll probably give up riding on the road in the next few years. Will probably leave a dual sport out West near the amazing National Parks/Forests and play/camp in the dirt.

Maybe keep a 250 for beating around town.

The dangers of the open road just don't seem worth it any more.

Old 03-02-2016, 09:45 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,088,213 times
I gave up riding about 3 years ago. I made a promise to my wife that I would sell my bike when she got pregnant and we started a family.

I do miss it, but at the same time, I value my time with my daughter more. I've been riding in groups where a rider has gotten killed, and I've had a few close calls myself over the years. If I take up riding again, it'll probably be when I'm in my 50's and my daughter is off to college or something. By then, I may not even want to ride anymore.

Still have all my gear, and I have "cheated" a couple times when I borrowed a bike from a friend for a nice leisurely ride out in the country, but for the most part I haven't ridden in 3 years.

Old 03-02-2016, 12:18 PM

1,352 posts, read 1,530,070 times
I thought about it but it passed. I just wear the gear, take an MSF course every so often and ride like I'm invisible. People always say, "I didn't see him." I'm not afraid to lean on the horn, I'd rather have someone blow their horn back at me than have an accident.
I had a bad accident years ago, got left turned and spent a few weeks in the hospital, I figure if your supposed to go out on a bike, you will, if your gonna trip on the rug in your living room that's what's gonna happen.

Old 03-02-2016, 01:14 PM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
I did give it up, not so much for the risk factor as location. Got my first bike in 1968, grew up in NJ which despite the beliefs of many to the contrary has some really wonderful riding roads as well as the nearby PA and NY. I like roads that resemble a roller coaster, had the pleasure of taking an Edelweiss Alps tour back in the '90s. Living on the NC coast now and while I love seeing the ocean everyday the roads are just too flat/straight to hold much interest and it'd be a coupla hours to get to roads I'd like.

Do miss the Sunday ride, make up for it a bit by rattling around in an old Miata and hope to someday put a long lapsed pilot's license back in use.

Old 03-02-2016, 06:04 PM

4,787 posts, read 10,602,776 times
I must admit it crosses my mind on occasion, but I simply find myself riding much less than I did, both in frequency and in distance and/or longer trips.

3 Scoots in the garage, they all run well, (for my '75 Shovel 'well' maybe overstating well), but I ride them all less and less, especially my '87 Honda Hurricane 1000.

I doubt I will quit, as the solo early morning weekday rides in western NC are often magical and remind me of why I have been riding these past 52 years.

My urge to go fast or to pour into corners has eroded, but as a Retired Bum it isn't like I can't slip a weekly ride in...
Good question, OP, and I suspect it has popped up in any long term rider's mind.
GL, mD

Old 03-02-2016, 07:45 PM

3,298 posts, read 2,472,186 times
One of my longtime riding buds who lives in Northwest FL gave it up recently; sold off both his bikes. Surprised me greatly to learn that. I'm gonna stick with it for a while longer, as is GF (who rides her own). We're both retired and recently moved to great riding country. Lots more touring to do.

Perceived risk is relative IMO. My perspective is from having commuted regularly on 2 wheels in & through Washington DC for decades, so out here there are thankfully far fewer idiots sharing the road.

Old 03-03-2016, 06:20 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,167,740 times
I didn't give it up entirely, but once the kids came I gave up the weekend mountain/canyon runs in exchange for track days. Win win in my book.

Mike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles