Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 05:45 PM

3,366 posts, read 1,605,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
VRods weren't built to be great handling bikes...too much rake.

I always thought of them more of a drag or "pro street" inspired muscle cruiser.

A surprisingly good handling Harley (relatively speaking) is the Dyna Fat Bob.

(But I'm admittedly a little biased towards them lol)
Yeah, I was aware at the time, but it didn't stop me trying. Right on with the Dyna, good to know! Those can be quite the lookers too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2017, 10:10 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,322,599 times
Quote:
VRods weren't built to be great handling bikes...too much rake.

I always thought of them more of a drag or "pro street" inspired muscle cruiser.

A surprisingly good handling Harley (relatively speaking) is the Dyna Fat Bob.

The VRods were called sport cruisers, at least by the magazines that review all brands.

Don't the FXRs have the best reputation for handling? They had more cornering clearance than the newer Dynas. The motor company should raise the height of at least one Dyna model for more cornering clearance.

Old 05-17-2017, 04:41 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,715,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
The VRods were called sport cruisers, at least by the magazines that review all brands.

Don't the FXRs have the best reputation for handling? They had more cornering clearance than the newer Dynas. The motor company should raise the height of at least one Dyna model for more cornering clearance.
That's one of the big things I don't like about cruisers - many's the time I've been just coming around a ramp on the highway behind a guy on a Harley or even a Victory and I'm watching him scrape the pipes just trying to take the ramp. You either take the ramp at speed so you don't get rammed by the rest of traffic that can handle it or you damn near destroy the chrome on your bike.

As a sport rider, I have to admit, it's a bit annoying to get stuck behind one and have to loaf it when I *know* I can take those curves at double or triple the speed he (or she) is having to take it. It would drive me nuts to have to crawl around to keep from scraping my ride up.

Old 05-17-2017, 09:22 AM

18,455 posts, read 7,087,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReblTeen84 View Post
That's one of the big things I don't like about cruisers - many's the time I've been just coming around a ramp on the highway behind a guy on a Harley or even a Victory and I'm watching him scrape the pipes just trying to take the ramp. You either take the ramp at speed so you don't get rammed by the rest of traffic that can handle it or you damn near destroy the chrome on your bike.

As a sport rider, I have to admit, it's a bit annoying to get stuck behind one and have to loaf it when I *know* I can take those curves at double or triple the speed he (or she) is having to take it. It would drive me nuts to have to crawl around to keep from scraping my ride up.
Most Harleys have fairly high foot controls (for a cruiser).

IMO, anyone who habitually scrapes the pegs on a Harley isn't picking their lines very well.

I rode the Tail of the Dragon on a Dyna Fat Bob and a Road King.
Not once did I touch down on either bike.

It's simply not necessary to try to ride it like a sport bike, and if you do you will be disappointed.

Old 05-18-2017, 06:21 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,175,782 times
I rented a GeezerGlide and found myself scraping the boards on almost every corner.

And sport riding vs foot forward-I've ridden a V Rod, and while I loved the engine, the riding position was excruciating. No wonder HD riders always have that look about them, I'd scowl if I had to ride that all the tim.

Old 05-21-2017, 08:56 PM

21,872 posts, read 25,139,139 times
Quote:
Most Harleys have fairly high foot controls (for a cruiser).

IMO, anyone who habitually scrapes the pegs on a Harley isn't picking their lines very well.

I rode the Tail of the Dragon on a Dyna Fat Bob and a Road King.
Not once did I touch down on either bike.

It's simply not necessary to try to ride it like a sport bike, and if you do you will be disappointed.
Just depends what you're used to.

A friend picked up a Sporster and I took it for a spin. I scraped the pipes exiting the parking lot. I was riding a bit harder than I might just leisurely ride around but since It wasn't my bike and I wasn't at all familiar with it, I thought I was taking it pretty easy. I was actually right at the limit for what the bike could do. On my baby Ninja 250 if I'm really riding aggressively in the canyons I can scrap the center stand. It's not really a matter of being able to ride a twisty road without scraping. I'm sure you can. You just have to slow down. Being a sportbike rider that's not really my mentality. I see corners and want to ride faster than is prudent to ride on public roads. I'm not concerned about the bikes ability to get around the corner at anything close to what I'll ride at on public roads. I'm concerned about vehicles crossing over into my lane, rock slides, or the one time I low sided on the road coming across pile of sand in the middle of the road.

Next bike will most likely not be a sport bike. I'm not doing track days anymore and as I get older the position just isn't as comfortable as it was. I'm not up for doing Seattle to San Francisco rides along the coast on a sport bike with a few stops for gas and grub the way I used to. I'd rather do it on something more comfortable. If I had unlimited money, maybe a Ducati Multistrada for longer trips, some sort of middle-weight naked or sporty standard for canyons (Ninja/Honda 650, Street Triple), and a Duke 390 for around town.

Last edited by Malloric; 05-21-2017 at 09:17 PM..

Old 05-22-2017, 04:40 PM

I'm still more comfortable on long rides in a standard or sport position. Cruiser seating kills me after 100 miles.

Old 05-27-2017, 11:13 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,248,094 times
I've been trying to sell my street triple but in my area everyone drives pickups/SUVs/Harleys. there is very little interest in anything else.

Old 05-27-2017, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
I've been trying to sell my street triple but in my area everyone drives pickups/SUVs/Harleys. there is very little interest in anything else.
Those look like a lot of fun, but some years headlight arrangements are downright unattractive. What year and how was it for reliability and cost?

Old 05-30-2017, 09:01 AM

448 posts, read 365,909 times
If you have to explain you would not understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles