Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 09:17 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,495,821 times

Advertisements

In my area I'd say at least half, and probably more, of the new bikes sold are HDs. They certainly are dominant at our local bike nights. Got to confess, I've never ridden one. Can someone explain just what the big draw of HD is? THIS IS NOT A DIG and I'm NOT looking to pick a fight-honestly want to know. What do you, as an owner, find draws you in? And yes, I do find them to be beautiful bikes. But also do with Vics, Boulevards, Stars and Triumphs.

I see plenty of magazine road tests that do pick Harley as #1. And I also understand the appeal of the HD brotherhood. Is that the main attraction, or the bikes themselves?

Someday I'm going to have to stop at my local dealer and check them out. A little afraid to...I might get the bug too and do something my bank account can't handle.

Honestly want to know. It wasn't long ago when I was a dedicated ADV rider. We'd come out of the woods on our dirty, mud encrusted bikes and park next to a line of shiny cruisers and know that "we rode them, they polished them". Well, about a year ago I picked up a cruiser (Triumph) and now...catch myself spending Saturday mornings polishing chrome (don't let my fellow ADVers know). So a grouchy old dog can learn new tricks. You never know...I'm not ruling out an HD any more. Unlike a short time ago.

Last edited by Toyman at Jewel Lake; 08-17-2016 at 10:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2016, 08:16 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,369,864 times
This was discussed in a previous topic: What does HD offer you over the xyz bikes?

I recently visited the H-D museum in Milwaukee and feel it helped me to better understand the appeal of these bikes. As an American I can't help but respect the Company with regards to the heritage and history and think that they have really done a good job in associating the brand with being a symbol of America.

I do also think that the classic rumbling sound made by their V-Twin engines and the aesthetic appeal of the chrome-laden bodywork all give the bikes a very classic style (although as has been pointed out this is something that others have been able to match with varying levels of success).

This, to me, makes riding a Harley the primary choice if your goal is to be a bada$$.

All this being said, I ride a BMW and I'm not ready to give it up quite yet

Old 08-18-2016, 02:17 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,610,392 times
HD has spent a lot of money and time dedicating the image to the world.
After the purchase and credit line the purchaser is guided to the leather and bling that is available to finance with the bike.
HD created their head start in the USA with early boycotts of foreign bikes by limiting engine size importing and the 40 percent tax import tax.

Ironically, HD has created their recent release of the Street series of a 500 and 750 to appeal to lower income and countries that prohibit larger bikes. HD is building the smaller bikes in India to skirt import taxes there. I understand India has a cap on bikes to a max of 600cc.

Old 08-19-2016, 02:57 AM

42 posts, read 58,515 times
Harley's have the "tough, Sons of Snarchy" image....perceived or real. They sound unique and tough. Many people (!) like the way they vibrate. As I age, I have no desire to ride fast. Harley's make a lot of noise (yes, a big plus with safety believe it or not) and look cool even when a little gnarly and you don't have to be riding a wheelie.

I have owned all types/makes of bikes over my 45 years of riding. They all have their appeal. For an hour or under rides, pub runs, lunch runs, you cant beat a hog.

Tip - find a 10 yr old one with 5K miles on it....price drops exponentially and most are in fine condition......the market is flooded, don't buy new.

Old 08-19-2016, 08:18 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,415,863 times
Marketing.

HD has a world class marketing department and that's been true for Decades. The bikes themselves (speaking as someone trained and certified by HD to work on their bikes as well as all 4 Japanese makes) are nothing special from a parts/assembly perspective. There's no reason to buy a HD over your Rocket III from a Functional standpoint, what you gain is what their marketing department has pushed and some people lap up.

hinmo, do me a favor. The next time you're out driving a car with the windows up, AC on, radio at a normal level where you could talk with a passenger.... listen for motorcycles headed Towards you. At about 45mph and faster, you're not going to hear them until they are so close that if you were to be an oblivious, nose in a cell phone, driver and got in the way of the bike there would be only 1 outcome (accident). Loud bikes lose rights. A small town next me that's a mecca for weekend warriors Almost had a total motorcycle ban in place. It just BARELY didn't pass, but a noise ordinance did and the weekend LEO presence grew 3 times its size in a month and they can't pull riders over fast enough. I've found a number of other places that have banned motorcycles due to noise issues (HOA areas, apartment complexes, malls, restaurants, etc...) and aren't shy about issuing fines/calling the law/having your property towed if you trespass.

Loud has no benefit. This should be common sense to anyone who is willing to objectively think about it and not buy into the echo-chamber rhetoric of those who can't think it through.

Old 08-20-2016, 03:00 PM

6,735 posts, read 4,416,367 times
" I have owned all types/makes of bikes over my 45 years of riding. They all have their appeal. For an hour or under rides, pub runs, lunch runs, you cant beat a hog.

Tip - find a 10 yr old one with 5K miles on it....price drops exponentially and most are in fine condition......the market is flooded, don't buy new.
Rate this post positively"

I also started riding in the early 70's. Craigslist is loaded with great shape low mileage HD starting about $4500. I just dont buy into there marketing ideas, or old azz, all bikes look alike designs. To each his / her own, ride and enjoy.

Old 08-21-2016, 04:05 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,369,864 times
I was thinking about this the other day. Personally, here's what it would take for me to buy a Harley - release a new Roadster style bike using the 750cc Revolution X power plant used in the Street 750, and offer it with ABS. Oh and keep the curb weight under 470lbs. I think 455-460 would be a good figure to shoot for. Now that would be one sweet bike and would certainly give the Street Twin a run for its money!

Old 08-22-2016, 07:33 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hinmo View Post
Harley's have the "tough, Sons of Snarchy" image....perceived or real. They sound unique and tough. Many people (!) like the way they vibrate. As I age, I have no desire to ride fast. Harley's make a lot of noise (yes, a big plus with safety believe it or not) and look cool even when a little gnarly and you don't have to be riding a wheelie.

I have owned all types/makes of bikes over my 45 years of riding. They all have their appeal. For an hour or under rides, pub runs, lunch runs, you cant beat a hog.

I'll believe it when I see a legitimate study based on fact, until then I'll continue to believe the only real big plus with safety is good riding skills.

Old 08-22-2016, 07:37 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
I was thinking about this the other day. Personally, here's what it would take for me to buy a Harley - release a new Roadster style bike using the 750cc Revolution X power plant used in the Street 750, and offer it with ABS. Oh and keep the curb weight under 470lbs. I think 455-460 would be a good figure to shoot for. Now that would be one sweet bike and would certainly give the Street Twin a run for its money!
I wish they'd improve the performance of the unit (Sportster) engine, I had a friend who had a mid '90s Buehl, great looking bike and fun to ride, but just about the time you felt it'd get up on the cams and go it was dead at 5,000RPM. I had a Guzzi 1100cc Sporti that had a torque curve about as flat as Nebraska up to 8,000, liked that motor much better.

Old 08-23-2016, 04:59 PM

222 posts, read 862,682 times
The emotive and visceral aspects of riding a Harley-Davidson makes one *feel* good. A bond btw man and machine, so to speak. In short, there's no compelling need to go WFO for that adrenaline rush. It's almost like relaxing in an La-Z-Boy recliner with motor massage feature. It's that all good kinda feelin' if you get my drift.

That said, many are not adverse to improving the performance of their steeds for cooler running (rear jug and exhaust header generate plenty of heat at factory settings) although it's more about torque at low to mid rpms than insane amounts of horsepower at high rpms.

The way those bikes look, sound and feel is unique. Not to say that everyone and his brother/sister should buy one, but tons of folks absolutely love 'em and wouldn't be happy with any other brand.

The Sportsters, Dynas, Softails and Tourers have different chassis designs, weights and ergos so it's just a matter of personal choice as to which one is best.

Victory and Indian seem to be doing very well. The new liquid cooled Triumph twins are selling very well. Have not ridden any of those so not sure what they're actually like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles