Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 11:32 AM

39,855 posts, read 26,482,831 times

Advertisements

Key features for a new rider? USED, cheap and modest in size/power. Learn to ride, don't get too upset when it gets dropped the first couple of times and learn what kind of riding you enjoy. Don't stress about the "perfect" first ride, get on CL and get something. In a year or two, you'll have a better idea what you really want and won't take a bath selling a used bike.

Or ignore doing the smart thing and go get a Rocket III.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2016, 01:24 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,688 posts, read 57,994,855 times
What type of riding and how much? (May not be as much as you think...)

Definitely an Indian classic would be sweet (but not inexpensive). I have 3 friends that have 1940 and earlier Indians.

My tastes have changed a lot as I age. BIG bikes are a total turn off to me, I realize I am not as quick as I used to be (previous racer)
That could cost a life. (mine (insured) or someone else).

I still ride my vintage stuff, all available under $1500, often under $500

XS2 650 (I have 3, including the one I bought in HS) One is Kenny Roberts (I did 1/2 mile and dirt TT), others are non-molested.
XT / TT -500 thumpers (3 of those) I REALLY enjoy them on and off road. But...someday I will be too old to Kick them over
TL-250's (2) great for very interesting short rides (like climbing over picnic benches and riding up the slide and down the steps at the park (120+ mpg) and plenty fast! (for town / short trips to town)

MR 250's (2) cow / fire trails / catting around the rural neighborhood. (XT / TT with lights will suffice for this, but are TALL geared, no way to go slow, as the compression will stop you DEAD.)

Old 10-25-2016, 01:26 PM

2,266 posts, read 3,712,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Key features for a new rider? USED, cheap and modest in size/power. Learn to ride, don't get too upset when it gets dropped the first couple of times and learn what kind of riding you enjoy. Don't stress about the "perfect" first ride, get on CL and get something. In a year or two, you'll have a better idea what you really want and won't take a bath selling a used bike.

Or ignore doing the smart thing and go get a Rocket III.
This. I bought my first bike (Yamaha FZ-6) used. Nice 600cc commuter, good fun when you wound it up past 8000rpms. Went over the bars 4 years after I bought it and totalled it. Landed me in the hospital for 3 days. Thankfully wasn't my fault, but still.

Replacement bike was new, GSX-R600. Very fun to ride, not bad for commuting. Different beast than the FZ-6 was though. Twitch the throttle wrong and you'd go from 60 to 100 with the quickness. That one got stolen this past summer 6 months after I paid it off. Was recovered, but totalled as well.

Replacement for that one is a new GSX-R1000. Big chain going through the back wheel and frame when it's in front of my house. Going from 600cc to 1000cc was another big change. Throttle control is your best friend - that 1000 will go from 60mph to 125+ rapidly if you're not careful, and it doesn't matter what gear you're in.

Looking at cruisers, the engine size comparison is a bit different - a 1000+ cc cruiser won't act the same as my 1000cc supersport, but they're bigger and heavier bikes too. I'd hate to get on a big 1200cc+ cruiser as my first bike. A family member has an 800cc Honda cruiser, my R600 would eat it for breakfast. Take the MSF course before you buy anything. I remember some of the first words told to us in class - "It's not if you go down, it's when. Every rider goes down."

Old 10-25-2016, 01:46 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch33 View Post
Standard advice: First take the MSF course. Then buy a used, small displacement bike. Find a friend who's an experienced rider to ride with and learn from. If after your first drop or two you still want to ride, move up from there.
It is friends riding that got me interested. One of our friends got a bike, learned to ride, joined a club and now has a lot of fun gong on different rides with the club or alone.

Another friend who had a thing between a scooter and a motorcycle, got interested from first friend and went and bought a Harley. He is enjoying it as well (although winter is almost on us now).

I have always been interested in giving it a try, but too many things were in the way. Now with a new incentive (join my friends) and fewer things in the way (kids in college, career stabilized), it is something I can learn. Either that or flying (several friends are doing that as well). Flying seems like a bigger commitment and way more expensive, and it looks like it keeps getting more and more expensive.

Although I naturally want to go get on a really cool classic bike and roar off into the sunset, the idea of getting a little POS bike and learning on it makes sense. It is also something I can do much sooner. A son who is in college needs a car, I think we found one that will work at an auction that closes this week. Then I can put small cheap motorcycle next on the list.

It is time to try a lot of things I have been putting off. I now have more time and fewer responsibilities.

Snowmobiling is on the list for this winter, but I will just rent one, buying one is impractical (we do not get enough snow locally). Wave runner is another "try it" thing. Again unlike a motorcycle, I doubt I would use one often enough to buy one, but it would be fun to try.

Buying a cheap bike ($3000?) give it a try and then either sell it if it is not something I want to keep doing, or sell it and trade up, either way I doubt I am likely to lose much money on it. Seems like a good idea.

I will have to take a class first. I am glad to learn there are classes available where they provide a motorcycle to learn on. I would not want to buy a bike and then tell them they have to deliver it because I have no idea how to ride one.

Luckily I live on an island(s) with very little traffic and maximum speed limits of 25 and 35. I can practice at home before going out into the real world. Just have to avoid the deer. I think Motorcycle vs. Deer = deer wins. I have seen what they do to cars.

Old 10-25-2016, 03:29 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
If you look around, you can find a good older 4-cylinder Gold Wing that has been adult-owned and ridden, you can buy these relatively cheap. Even if you go to a sportier bike later, you will still keep the Wing, I would bet. Very comfortable, very reliable, you can jump on and ride away to Florida if you want.

If you go this route, do check the tires that are on the bike when you get it, if they have "aged out" I would suggest replacing them, and don't ever cheap out on M/C tires.

Another bike that I would like to have and would recommend to a beginner is a KLR 650 Kawi. Mostly a dirt bike, but street-legal. If you have a place to ride dirt, it's a relatively forgiving environment to do your first learning in.

You will be wanting good gear, a good helmet, boots, gloves. Don't ever ride bare-handed, very likely if you go down on pavement bare-handed, you will have permanent hand damage, even at low speeds.

Yeah, before even buying the bike, take at least the MSF course. If you are going to be on bigger bikes, one of the "ride like a cop" courses is highly recommended. We have one officer in a nearby town who has been teaching this course for a few years, it's easy to see who has "been to school" when they ride by, particularly in parking lots. There is a DVD and book based course for this, but if you can manage to get live instruction and ride the school's bike, IMHO a bargain, even though it will set you back around a grand. If that training only saves your bacon once, it's a bargain.

Old 10-25-2016, 10:11 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,318,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReblTeen84 View Post
Take the MSF course before you buy anything. I remember some of the first words told to us in class - "It's not if you go down, it's when. Every rider goes down."
I heard this for interstate riding but not for people that don't venture too far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Maine View Post
A good economical 2nd bike is a used 750 Nighthawk (93 or later). Still easy to ride, but is decent on a highway.
They should bring this model back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Another bike that I would like to have and would recommend to a beginner is a KLR 650 Kawi. Mostly a dirt bike, but street-legal. If you have a place to ride dirt, it's a relatively forgiving environment to do your first learning in.

Yeah, before even buying the bike, take at least the MSF course. If you are going to be on bigger bikes, one of the "ride like a cop" courses is highly recommended. We have one officer in a nearby town who has been teaching this course for a few years, it's easy to see who has "been to school" when they ride by, particularly in parking lots. There is a DVD and book based course for this, but if you can manage to get live instruction and ride the school's bike, IMHO a bargain, even though it will set you back around a grand. If that training only saves your bacon once, it's a bargain.

The KLR made '08 and later is more road than dirt. It's also top heavy. If the rider is not very tall, the Suzuki DR 650 may be a better choice. There is a factory kit to lower the seat height of the DR.

Good safety advice.

Old 10-25-2016, 10:13 PM

21,829 posts, read 25,094,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
It seemed retro enough to me. Not powerful enough, though. I think Honda is bringing it back except with better suspension. Maybe other upgrades but I don't recall.
It compares well in power to the Twin Cam 110s in larger Harleys in a lighter package. It's no Diavel or Vmax or Rocket III but the combination of power and much lighter weight means the only thing Harley makes that's close is really the V-Rod.

Like any retro bike, you can get more elsewhere. The liter sport standards are similar price and better bikes in every objective measurement. Also, not the type of bike someone new to motorcycle should be looking at.

Old 10-25-2016, 10:41 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,318,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
It compares well in power to the Twin Cam 110s in larger Harleys in a lighter package. It's no Diavel or Vmax or Rocket III but the combination of power and much lighter weight means the only thing Harley makes that's close is really the V-Rod.

I read the V-Rod is going to be discontinued. I don't know if that is true.

Old 10-26-2016, 12:21 AM

18 posts, read 19,422 times
Congrats for even wanting to start late in life! I'm still young, but have owned probably ~20 various motorcycles, and its really a addictive passion.

1. read Proficient Motorcycling, by David Hough
2. take the MSF course, and any other course/lesson you can find. New US riders take training for granted.
3. Might as well get a scooter now. Ride it to work and around your island. Its the safest and I'd simplest way to get acquainted with riding. Plus they are damn fun!
4. don't spend a lot on your first few bikes until you are a decent rider and really enjoy it. Some good starter bikes are the Yamaha SR400, Honda Rebel, Yamaha V-Star or the HD Street

good luck!

Old 10-26-2016, 05:40 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,712,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
I heard this for interstate riding but not for people that don't venture too far.
A guy just died in my town yesterday on his cycle - car crossed the road in front of him and he hit. Riding around town, nowhere near the interstate. Not trying to scare anyone...but death and injury come quickly on two wheels. I still don't remember the accident I had back in 2012. All I know is I went over the bars when someone brake checked me, as repeated to me by a witness and the trooper who saw it. I remember the morning of the accident when I got to work, next thing I know I'm waking up in the hospital the next day. Off work for 3 weeks and PT for 4 weeks for my knee.

There's a reason I take to heart those words told to us, and dress for the occasion. If it's too hot for gear, it's too hot to ride. And some of the maneuvering taught to us in class has saved my bacon more than once.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles