Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 01:04 PM

19,008 posts, read 27,557,249 times

Advertisements

What are you riders using for inexpensive rain riding suits? I am actually looking for a work suit for my property, thought, bikers may have some ideas. BREATHABLE and decent priced is 2 key features.
What's decent priced for me? I'm cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2016, 03:35 PM

17,207 posts, read 57,035,276 times
An Aerostich is not cheap to buy, but I have had mine since 1990, so amortized over all the years the cost ain't bad. That's if you actually want to use it on M/C.

If you are looking for rain gear for working on your property, check out REI, they will have good rain gear, although the breathable Gore-Tex stuff is again pricey. Maybe if you are lucky you can find some Gore-Tex at a second-hand store.

Either way, if you are buying new - "The good stuff ain't cheap, and the cheap stuff ain't good".

The thing is, on a bike, in the rain, you want limited ventilation, because you tend to get cold, you are not working that hard. But if you are doing yard work, or hiking, you want a lot more ventilation, and you need more flexible garments, because you will be moving around and making your own heat. In warmer weather you will take off or push back the hood from your head and wear a separate hat. Being from the Old Country, you already know all about hoods, hats, and staying warm.

Old 10-25-2016, 10:33 PM

21,820 posts, read 25,094,690 times
Nelson Riggs plastic bag suit.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RGQ1KV4...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Not breathable, maybe not durable enough for a work suit. Plastic bags rip pretty easily, even heavy duty ones.

Old 10-26-2016, 11:26 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,410,632 times
Frogg Toggs are the cheap but reasonably durable option (and NOT breathable at all, even my $1000 Gore-tex Aerostich isn't really breathable, nor are any other of my other high dollar performance options for skiing, backpacking, boating, etc..)

Any activity where you work up a sweat will leave you sweaty under *any* quality of gear, might as well just accept that and buy the best for your budget. Frogg Toggs are in the $30~50 range and reasonably durable.

Old 10-26-2016, 02:58 PM

Thank you.
I actually bought Frogg Togg suite on Amazon. It felt very breathable to me. I returned it for one and only reason - I didn't realize there were no pockets and zipper. That left me with awfully awkward hanging hands, ha ha.
I walked in rain in it, I took sleeve to full stream of water - nothing went through.
My only concern - they do have them with pockets - is that material feels very paperish. I always end with pockets full of screws and what not, always messing around my chicken farm. but it felt very breathable to me indeed.

Old 10-26-2016, 11:51 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,027,394 times
I like Frogg Toggs too. Very portable, breathable, and works well.

Old 10-28-2016, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alloo66 View Post
I like Frogg Toggs too. Very portable, breathable, and works well.

Any experience how durable it is?

Old 10-31-2016, 09:34 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,140,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
What are you riders using for inexpensive rain riding suits? I am actually looking for a work suit for my property, thought, bikers may have some ideas. BREATHABLE and decent priced is 2 key features.
What's decent priced for me? I'm cheap.
LOL. Took me a couple decades to puzzle this one out, why the old fuddy duddies are often wearing Aerostich Roadcrafters. While not a look too many can "rock", they do work. I've done two Iron Butt rides in mine, and a couple thousand mile up through British Columbia in that with some heated gloves and vest. Did some custom colors and options that make it at least tolerable on the eye.

To other parts of the thread, I have Frog's Toggs as glove condoms and they work great, always kept in a saddlebag on my Multi here in the PacNW.

I bought a Dainese jacket and pants for Africa a year and a half ago, plus a Dainese rain overjacket that's pretty light. That stuff works reasonably well, but not in heavy and constant rain. Not like the Aerostich, which handles that just fine for hours on end. One is warm weather, the other colder and rainy.

It's not "impossible," but I'm a bit skeptical that "inexpensive" rain gear is all that effective. Times change, as does technology, I suppose. Good luck.

I'm not shilling for them, but frankly RevZilla was the best resource I've found yet for reviews, gear from inexpensive to very-much-not, and interesting close-outs.

Personally, I'd buy a Klim Adventure Rally Jacket currently on closeout for a thousand bucks, but that probably is a bit outside OP's budget? Shame, can't think of anything I'd "rather" crash in, rain or shine, so to speak.

Old 11-03-2016, 11:24 AM

3,040 posts, read 4,998,180 times
Frog Toggs do make a work related rain suit that is affordable, Pro Action Rain Suit - Frogg Toggs

Old 11-09-2016, 04:50 PM

26 posts, read 78,876 times
If you don't mind looking for a needle in a haystack, try some thrift shops. I've gotten some remarkably effective rain gear out of the sporting goods section that way for dirt cheap -- like $2 each for rain pants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles