Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2017, 11:16 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times

Advertisements

Once the tax cuts kick in in a couple months, I hope to do my part to help the industry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2017, 11:32 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTY483 View Post
Hmmmm..I think this article must only be referring to road bikes and more specifically, cruisers. Motocross racing, trail riding and adventure touring have never been more popular IMO. I went to the AMA Supercross in Phoenix back in 2010 and the stands at Chase Field were pretty much jam packed.
Thing is, most of those bikes are a small part of the US market overall. Harley alone IIRC has over half of the >600cc market in the US. That's just one mfg with more sales than all the metric cruisers, Goldwings, BMW K1600s, and all the ADV bikes and big sport bikes combined. And their machines are low performance, cheap to build twins with none of the expensive technological features or sophistication of other manufacturers products. Harley should be printing money given how little really has to be spent on R&D vs what other manufacturers do, and given the volume and price of their products.

As buyers we're incredibly lucky to have manufacturers making the products we have available. The products coming out of BMW, Triumph and especially KTM are pretty amazing. KTM and Triumph are both small companies-to build such advanced product with the limited sales to amortize the development cost over is impressive. The Japanese companies make bikes with outstanding performance, quality and reliability. But of late they seem to have gotten pretty conservative, taking more of a wait and see attitude, rather than pushing the envelope on new products and technology like the European manufacturers. They have largely ignored the "real" ADV market for 20 years, with street bikes with beaks their main efforts. The DR650 and KLR are what, 25 year old designs? The Super Tenere is old and overweight. The Africa Twin is the only real effort from Japan, but it's no match for the KTM 1090 for about the same price.

Old 12-23-2017, 09:03 AM

2,025 posts, read 4,175,120 times
The ADV market is probably the least " poser" market these days, here in the US bikes are a social and fashion accessory except for ADV riders who can ride a out and wander without the bike trying to kill them or shake them to death. And even those guys are getting up in years.

Old 12-23-2017, 09:10 AM

665 posts, read 613,260 times
I wanted a motorcycle but I purchased a home instead. Eventually, I will do so.

Old 12-23-2017, 09:11 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,571,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
As buyers we're incredibly lucky to have manufacturers making the products we have available. The products coming out of BMW, Triumph and especially KTM are pretty amazing. KTM and Triumph are both small companies-to build such advanced product with the limited sales to amortize the development cost over is impressive.
I like the new Triumphs a lot, and have looked at a few over the past few years. Their triples are really nice bikes, and fast. I had a 1978 Bonneville 750 many years ago, and their traditional bikes while somewhat aesthetically similar are certainly more advanced. The Speed Triple, and Thruxton are my two favorites in the line up.

Old 12-23-2017, 09:15 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,523,637 times
A half hour on youtube searching for "motorcycle wrecks" will explain a lot. It is not all bad cars that are the problem, but there are no fender benders.

Old 12-23-2017, 09:34 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
I disagree. I'm a lifelong motorcyclist (45 years) and I can't remember that last time I saw a motorcycle advertisement/commercial in the non-enthusiast media. Portrayals of motorcycles in movies/television is generally negative. Between people on sport bikes stunting on public roads and giant herds of excessively loud Harley's poking along below the speed limit, we're our own worst enemy. We're perceived as either reckless hooligans or doddering geezers.

This is about as true a statement I read in a long time. There are plenty of decent riders out there, but they get overshadowed by the douche bags. But like anything else the douchebag behavior will always be at the forefront. I don’t street ride anymore because there are too many dumbass drivers out there.

Old 12-24-2017, 07:01 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,247,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
This is about as true a statement I read in a long time. There are plenty of decent riders out there, but they get overshadowed by the douche bags. But like anything else the douchebag behavior will always be at the forefront. I don’t street ride anymore because there are too many dumbass drivers out there.
agree. My neighbor drives a big extended cab pickup and he got broadsided today by someone who didn't see the stop sign. More than likely, she was on her phone.... but if people can't see giant white pickups, there's no way I would be visible in my little white motorcycle.

As always, riding like you're invisible helps a lot to stay alive, but it is very scary to be on the road these days.

Old 12-24-2017, 07:36 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,972,072 times
I have thought about getting back up on two wheels. I still have the MC endorsement on my license. But looking (briefly) at what is available out there, I see nothing I want.
Now, if Harley made a modern equivalent of the old 45 CI bike, at a decent price, I might be interested.
Back when I WAS riding, the biggest I owned was a Kawasaki 750 V-twin. I never have been interested in Harley 74s or 81s or any of the other big-as-a-Volkswagen motorcycles. I rode a friends Sportster a little many years ago. It wasn't too bad, but still heavy.
On second thought, maybe I will just stay with my street legal Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs. I'm 76 years old, perhaps I have no business on two wheels. Four is better!
Touring trikes are nice, but 20 to 25 THOUSAND dollars for a used one? THAT ain't gonna happen!

Old 12-25-2017, 12:29 AM

4,857 posts, read 7,608,601 times
My 70+ yr old uncle put a trike kit on his Honda shadow. Rides the hell out of it year round down in Tucson.

It's not exactly an H-D touring trike. But he's nowhere near $20,000 out of pocket either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles