Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 06:47 AM

25 posts, read 24,767 times

Advertisements

Its hard to sell a Motorcycle these days unless its priced way under value. I see so many bikes that are so cheap and they just sit on CL for sale. My brother has a 2014 Softail Heritage he paid 18k for new. He bought it when his wife passed away unexpectedly and it was an emotional buy. He now wants to sell it and has it for sale for 9500 with 600 miles on it. Had a couple of calls but no one coming to look. Its great if you are a buyer not so good for new bikes. Harley is going to have a hard time selling new bikes at 24k and up.

Old 05-17-2018, 08:42 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,164,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethyllgiffen View Post
Its hard to sell a Motorcycle these days unless its priced way under value. I see so many bikes that are so cheap and they just sit on CL for sale. My brother has a 2014 Softail Heritage he paid 18k for new. He bought it when his wife passed away unexpectedly and it was an emotional buy. He now wants to sell it and has it for sale for 9500 with 600 miles on it. Had a couple of calls but no one coming to look. Its great if you are a buyer not so good for new bikes. Harley is going to have a hard time selling new bikes at 24k and up.
Gotta agree completely on this.......bikes are being given away. Just finally sold a 2013 Tenere that was never dropped or ridden in dirt for $6,800. It was an $8,500 bike all day long in better times.....I'm seeing lots of machines sitting for months and not selling and the prices are crazy low. Had a buddy call down from Vegas with a chromed out Harley (2007) low miles he was trying to sell to any of us in SoCal for $8K, said he couldn't get anything for it up there. Great time to buy, just know you prob are going to be giving it away later.

Old 05-17-2018, 08:49 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Personally I think you have to be nuts to drive a motorcycle and I love driving them.

Old 05-17-2018, 08:51 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,268,500 times
As a parent of three millennial young me, none of them have any interest in motorcycles. I am sure they wouldn't miss anything in the garage if one day I sold my bike.

Old 05-17-2018, 08:52 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,268,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Personally I think you have to be nuts to drive a motorcycle and I love driving them.
Umm, for starters you don't "drive" motorcycles.

Old 05-17-2018, 08:59 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,493,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethyllgiffen View Post

Young people just don't want Harley's. I know plenty of younger riders, and none of them ride HD's. All some sort of cruiser or sport bike or something like a Ducati.

My dad gave me his HD and I don't even want to ride it. It sits in the garage and I take it out a couple times just to let it run. The bike just isn't my style. I'd like to sell it and buy a different bike....but nobody wants to buy it unless I give it away for practically nothing.

Old 05-17-2018, 09:46 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,417,068 times
I've been a MC Mechanic for awhile now (since 2000), lots of young riders, nearly none on big dollar bikes (HD, BMW, whatever).... the overwhelming majority on under $3000 used bikes.

The market seems to be experiencing a price correction right now. Things got so over-inflated for so long, and it's just not sustainable anymore. It's not a big enough market to really have much in the way of a "bubble" like housing had in 2008~9, but the end result is the same. When asking prices reflect what people are willing to spend and *NOT* what sellers think their bike is worth, the devaluation will stop. Sellers, in this case, means both dealers and private party.

Old 05-17-2018, 10:12 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,853,608 times
I used to ride a "piece of transportation on two wheels".

Loved it but lived in an area where I did not have to "deal" with people not used to motorcycles next to them on the road.

Started out going to school on a Vespa GS (in Europe), next more motorcycle(s) then "scooter" and then moved to the USA and a two-wheel item was not something you should use in big city traffic.

When people look into their rear view mirror or side view mirror, they just do not "expect" to see anything but another "car" in their mirror.
Even I do not "see" motorcycles and then wonder "where did he come from"?
So the chance of getting hurt is so much bigger in the USA, and gave up riding one.

From what I have seen over the years, it is not getting safer but getting worse, so I understand why there is less interest now in an overall sense.

I have one son who loves riding one, but his bike is more of a hobby than a piece of transportation.

Personally, I would never ride a Harley. Those things have absolutely no appeal to me.
A BMW GS 1200 is more what I would like to have as a "toy".

Motorcycle riders here in my area are still a pretty good size group and there are a lot of HD riders here.

LBNL, yes there are a lot of used ones around us for sale for a pretty low cost compared to new.
I even see many at pawn shops!

Old 05-17-2018, 11:27 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,029,483 times
The industry here in the US regards motorcycles as recreation vehicles, not commuting tools. Service intervals are lower allowing for dealers to increase profits. Most dealers don't keep parts in stock. No advertising. Salespeople lack product knowledge, motorcycle service not on par with automotive service. Motorcycle service also same as or more expensive than automobile service. The lack of accessories and models as compared to the rest of the world. Non motorcycle educated drivers. Over priced accessories. No wonder millenials don't ride motorcycles or scooters. I ride daily, safety is less of a concern if you respect the bike, road, and other drivers. We're a scared country.

Old 05-17-2018, 02:27 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,064,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
As a parent of three millennial young me, none of them have any interest in motorcycles. I am sure they wouldn't miss anything in the garage if one day I sold my bike.
Well, whose fault is this? Nobody is born knowing how to ride.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles