Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 06:58 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,362,280 times

Advertisements

I’ve been riding a BMW for the last 3 years and lately I’ve been trying to talk myself into trading it for a Harley Sportster. The Irons looks so good...but I may never find one with ABS which is a must for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2018, 02:14 PM

777 posts, read 502,705 times
Well, I looked at that Aprilia, liked it, and bought it. Don't pick it up until next month, tho. the current owner is moving to Europe to go to grad school, and want's to keep it till it's time to leave. I'm OK with that, and put down a deposit to hold it.

Old 09-13-2018, 03:12 PM

I picked up the Aprilia a few weeks ago, but haven't had a chance to get it out of town and flog it over a twisty road. My wife took a fall in the house and broke her kneecap, so no long rides, but I have taken it down to the local taco stand at the beach. I like it, but it has an issue or three. From 0 to 50 MPH, I actually like my Honda 750 better, but get above 50 and the Aprilia shines! The Honda is buzzy at speed, but the Aprilia has a six-speed trans, and at 75 MPH it is just loafing in 6th gear. The instrument panel is hard to see, a digital display with tiny little symbols. If the sun is shining on it, I can see it through sunglasses, but if there's no sun on it, it is just a dark blob. Going to try a lighter pair of glasses, but they have to be shaped, like safety glasses, to keep wind out of my eye. Also, the steering head seems a little loose. I'm gonna try to tighten it down a bit, or add a steering damper. Also, there's no centerstand on it. This is the third bike I've owned without a centerstand, and it annoys me no end. Looking for a race stand. All in all, though, liking it! Keeping the BMW, too.

Old 09-18-2018, 01:58 PM

34,228 posts, read 18,558,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW R1100 View Post
I'm trolling craigslist and came across a 1975 Triumph T-160. Beautiful.
I had a 1978 Triumph Bonneville 750 that I stupidly sold many years ago. It was beautiful. I've been looking at the new Triumphs and am very impressed.

Old 09-28-2018, 11:47 AM

Update on the Aprilia - Turns out, that squirelly feeling in the steering is caused by having two different brands of tire on it, a Dunlop on the rear and a Michelin on the front. The front tire was cupped, and the rear was nearing the end of its life, so I put a new set on it, and the tech confirmed what I already knew, that the chain is shot and needs replacing. Oh, well, tires and chains are consumable items, I guess, and they need replacement when they wear out.

Old 10-25-2018, 02:11 PM

UPDATE: I found what seems to be the problem with that Aprilia, or at least, I hope so. Turns out the rear suspension needed adjusting. The factory setting is no adjustment is made at all. I cranked up the preload on the rear mono-shock, and turned up the damping. It rides way better now, that vague floaty wobbly sensation is gone, but I'll have to take it over some twisties to be sure.

Old 12-23-2019, 05:07 PM

Another update: sold the Aprilia and picked up a '13 Honda CB1100, in Candy Red. Love it! Riding it is like buttah! Smooooth, light, quick, steers well, but it sounds like a hair dryer. Gonna have to drill the muffler.

Old 12-24-2019, 09:59 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,362,280 times
Were you able correct the issues you were having with the Aprilia or was that the reason you sold it?

Old 02-14-2020, 10:44 PM

1 posts, read 306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
Let me know how it goes. The V7 Stone has been on my short-list for a while.
How much is the V7 Stone as of now?

Old 02-16-2020, 07:09 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,161,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I had a 1978 Triumph Bonneville 750 that I stupidly sold many years ago. It was beautiful. I've been looking at the new Triumphs and am very impressed.
My good buddy is a retired A330 driver with a nice T-6. He has also gone through a few bikes, we had some fun rides around Kalee on a GS1200 and then a K1600 Beemer and finally back to 1200RT with me on an FJR. Somewhere in there he got the hots for a new Bonneville, bought a new one in 2012. He rode it out to the hangar at Chino a few times, I rode it around the airport a few times. We both thought it was the most boring bike ever. He traded it with only 350 miles on it. As always YMMV......there does seem to be some cult like adoration for the machine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles