Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 07:29 AM

3,089 posts, read 8,493,818 times

Advertisements

I love scooters! I have been eyeing either a piaggio mp3 or vespa 250. I would love to get a Yamaha Raptor but you cannot make atvs street legal in fl.

So what is everyone riding?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 10:35 AM

2,636 posts, read 6,634,121 times
My pushbike.

I love quads but I would never ride one on the road. Take a corner too fast and you'll slide off sideways and faceplant the tarmac.

Old 06-11-2008, 06:38 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,643,371 times
I have a Honda Helix which I love. The 250 goes up the hills and keeps up with the traffic. I have been looking at that Piaggio MP3 for two years. They finally got one in in IN and I traveled from OH to test drive it. I'm only 5'2" and when I got on, no kidding, my feet were about a foot off the ground on both sides. Yikes. There was no way I could even test drive it. It did have some neat features. The guy put one front tire on the curb and the other on the road, locked it in place and it just stayed there. Really cool. You can, under about 3mph, lock it into place where it moves like a trike. But you can't drive it like that. You could lock it and then roll it somewhere.
I think about getting a bigger bike but then I guess the Helix does everything I need it to do.

Old 06-11-2008, 08:26 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,267,656 times
I'm thinking of getting a scooter that's under 40cc. Does anyone have experience with one of these?? These are the ones who don't need to be registered, and you don't need a license or insurance for, at least here in Texas.

Old 06-12-2008, 05:16 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,314,549 times
If I am still here in Florida by October I plan to get a Kawasaki Ninja 250r. Only thing that would change that plan is if a company makes a T-rex like vehicle with more amenities and less cost.

Old 06-12-2008, 05:37 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,011,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
I'm thinking of getting a scooter that's under 40cc. Does anyone have experience with one of these?? These are the ones who don't need to be registered, and you don't need a license or insurance for, at least here in Texas.

The smallest displacement I’m aware of is 49cc. In many states, it’s true that you don’t need to license and insure them.

The fact that someone has that kind of incorrect information raises a flag to me. With high gas prices, a lot of people are throwing out a nonchalant “oh, I’ll get myself one of those little scooters (some people still call them mopeds). They aren’t that expensive and I hear they get 100 mpg.” I think we’re going to end up with some *splatted* scooter riders on the road.

I strongly urge research on scooters and the necessary safety tactics - one being GEAR. For some asinine reason, I'm hearing the riders of the smaller scoots say that they don't believe they need the same protective gear as those on the larger rides. Doesn't matter the size of the bike; if you come off, you get hurt just the same.

Old 06-12-2008, 05:40 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,011,069 times
Briefly rode an Elite 80, found that scootering was way fun and moved up to the Honda Helix 250. Until Honda came out with the Silverwing 600 in 2002 (followed by the Suzuki Burgman 400 and 650), the Helix was the largest displacement Japanese scooter on the US market. We were thisclose to moving up to a motorcycle when we decided to go with the Silverwing in 2002, practically sight unseen. We put deposits down on two based on what we saw on Honda’s web page. The Helix, for all its comfort, is just not a bike that is recommended for fast road riding. We had to keep to the back roads with ours. Still, I’d recommend it for anyone wanting an automatic bike that doesn’t need to get out on busy roads.

Now, one of our SWs is on the market, replaced by the Can-Am Spyder. We also have a Ural Tourist and my SW has been turned into a hack. I added a sidecar in 2003.

I’m seriously looking at the 250cc automatic cruiser – QLink Legacy.
::QLINK MOTOR:: (http://www.qlinkmotor.com/product.php - broken link)
The reviews over the last couple of years have been very positive for this bike. Water-cooled, CVT belt drive; I’m told that it gets ~60mpg. It would be strictly for slow road riding since it is reported to top out at around 60mph. I’ve always been inclined toward the cruiser style but don’t want to mess with a clutch transmission, air cooling or a chain. Ridley has had an automatic motorcycle for several years, but I have no intention of pay $17K and up for one. MSRP for the Legacy is $3250.

Old 06-12-2008, 08:40 AM

3,089 posts, read 8,493,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodpoint View Post
I have a Honda Helix which I love. The 250 goes up the hills and keeps up with the traffic. I have been looking at that Piaggio MP3 for two years. They finally got one in in IN and I traveled from OH to test drive it. I'm only 5'2" and when I got on, no kidding, my feet were about a foot off the ground on both sides. Yikes. There was no way I could even test drive it. It did have some neat features. The guy put one front tire on the curb and the other on the road, locked it in place and it just stayed there. Really cool. You can, under about 3mph, lock it into place where it moves like a trike. But you can't drive it like that. You could lock it and then roll it somewhere.
I think about getting a bigger bike but then I guess the Helix does everything I need it to do.
You can lower the seat and lower the bike all together. I do believe that it can be locked and driven how else would someone be able to drive this..
http://www.tow-pacinc.com/Piaggio%20MP3%204.JPG (broken link)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
STAY AWAY FROM THE CHINESE SCOOTERS! I see it many times on scooter forums those things conk out on you quickly and you will be unable to get parts. Stick to the known brands yamaha,honda,vespa,etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
If I am still here in Florida by October I plan to get a Kawasaki Ninja 250r. Only thing that would change that plan is if a company makes a T-rex like vehicle with more amenities and less cost.
I posted a thread about this a while back
http://www.city-data.com/forum/autom...-stallion.html

Its not really in the same league as the t-rex since its not a sportsbike but it has the features you are looking for. Its above your price range though but maybe you can get it used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post

Now, one of our SWs is on the market, replaced by the Can-Am Spyder. We also have a Ural Tourist and my SW has been turned into a hack. I added a sidecar in 2003.
[/font]
Hows the can am spyder to ride? Fun? I was thinking about one of those but the sticker shock ruined it for me

I am not a big fan of motorcycles but if I had to have one it would be the Victory Vision

Old 06-12-2008, 09:11 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,314,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
You can lower the seat and lower the bike all together. I do believe that it can be locked and driven how else would someone be able to drive this..

STAY AWAY FROM THE CHINESE SCOOTERS! I see it many times on scooter forums those things conk out on you quickly and you will be unable to get parts. Stick to the known brands yamaha,honda,vespa,etc

I posted a thread about this a while back
http://www.city-data.com/forum/autom...-stallion.html

Its not really in the same league as the t-rex since its not a sportsbike but it has the features you are looking for. Its above your price range though but maybe you can get it used.

Hows the can am spyder to ride? Fun? I was thinking about one of those but the sticker shock ruined it for me

I am not a big fan of motorcycles but if I had to have one it would be the Victory Vision
I have been reading up on the spyder and have been going to their forums. People said its fun to ride, very stable too. Only thing they said that takes some getting used to is how you turn. You don't lean into the turn like a regular bike, you just turn. They also complained about the lack of a handle brake, its foot based.

Old 06-12-2008, 11:21 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,267,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
The smallest displacement I’m aware of is 49cc. In many states, it’s true that you don’t need to license and insure them.

The fact that someone has that kind of incorrect information raises a flag to me. With high gas prices, a lot of people are throwing out a nonchalant “oh, I’ll get myself one of those little scooters (some people still call them mopeds). They aren’t that expensive and I hear they get 100 mpg.” I think we’re going to end up with some *splatted* scooter riders on the road.

I strongly urge research on scooters and the necessary safety tactics - one being GEAR. For some asinine reason, I'm hearing the riders of the smaller scoots say that they don't believe they need the same protective gear as those on the larger rides. Doesn't matter the size of the bike; if you come off, you get hurt just the same.
They do exist, and they're called "motor assisted scooters", per the Texas DMV. As far as getting 'splatted', I would put them on par with bikes. Of course, they should be ridden on the appropriate streets, safely and with a helmet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles