Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 04:03 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,029,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electron View Post
I don't care how fancy and sexy it is, but I'm much too manly for a scooter. Any bikers out there to offer some advice?
In my years of scootin' I've met three Harley riders who switched to Silverwings and Burgmans. They might have stiff hands or hips that twinge while trying to swing a leg over the seat; their main reasons for switching to super-scooters; but they'd likely still punch you out for saying that. They wouldn't consider themselves too 'manly' for scooters - those bikes enabled them to continue their love of riding, which is the main reason to be on a bike, in their view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 04:59 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
I was going to suggest an older Wing and JFR beat me to it.

But, look in the local want ads, there will be all sorts of bikes out there and you should just take a look at what's available. I wouldn't be put off by a very old bike from the 1970s even, if it's been garaged all it's life, it should be fine. You may find a bike with an old, neglected drive chain and/or bad tires, these are wear parts and you can change them out for new, BTW I wouldn't price-shop too hard on the tires, since a bad tire can get a fellow killed...

Anyway recommend you make the rounds of whatever dealers you have, they should have some used bikes as well as new, and think about do you want a sportier bike, a cruiser bike, a touring bike like the Gold Wing or a Concours (another good choice) or maybe a dual-sport, older UJM (Universal Japanese Motorcycle).

You didn't mention where you live and what kind of riding you intend to do. Do you plan to bring your SO, or ride mostly solo?

The older Wings and some Harleys do have the advantage of holding their value well, if you decide it's not for you, you can sell on or trade without losing much money.

Old 06-17-2008, 05:19 AM

1,290 posts, read 2,568,469 times
Thanks guys and gals. I'll be back later with some more Q and C, but right now I have some crane issues to handle.

Old 06-17-2008, 07:18 AM

3,533 posts, read 12,302,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I was going to suggest an older Wing and JFR beat me to it.

But, look in the local want ads, there will be all sorts of bikes out there and you should just take a look at what's available. I wouldn't be put off by a very old bike from the 1970s even, if it's been garaged all it's life, it should be fine. You may find a bike with an old, neglected drive chain and/or bad tires, these are wear parts and you can change them out for new, BTW I wouldn't price-shop too hard on the tires, since a bad tire can get a fellow killed...

Anyway recommend you make the rounds of whatever dealers you have, they should have some used bikes as well as new, and think about do you want a sportier bike, a cruiser bike, a touring bike like the Gold Wing or a Concours (another good choice) or maybe a dual-sport, older UJM (Universal Japanese Motorcycle).

You didn't mention where you live and what kind of riding you intend to do. Do you plan to bring your SO, or ride mostly solo?

The older Wings and some Harleys do have the advantage of holding their value well, if you decide it's not for you, you can sell on or trade without losing much money.

i picked mine up for 3000.00 dollars. check it out. it has pretty much anything you would want on a bike. with the side bags and trunk , i can go to the store and pick things up if i want. i know all my other bikes i had, i couldn't carry anything, unless i put it between my legs to hold it. lol i bought it at a private sale. mine is a 1985 glodwing aspencade 1200 with 45,000 miles on it

Old 06-18-2008, 12:50 AM

3,377 posts, read 9,203,461 times
Ninja 250...the new one...it looks great!

Old 06-18-2008, 07:24 AM

what good is a little tiny bike like that good for. ah, maybe if your learning how to ride. you want to get a bike that you can go to the store and stuff like that. to it's kinda pointless to have a bike that you can't even swing by the store on your way home from work to get something if you need to. if you have to go all the way home to get your car to go to the store , what are you saveing and why did you buy a bike. make a smart choice when you buy. you want it to be good for more than one thing. JMHO

Old 06-18-2008, 08:26 AM

502 posts, read 1,735,329 times
My honda shadow spirit 1100 gets 49 mpg. I have it setup with windshield, bags and trunk. Looks good, rides good. And you should be able to find a late 90's model for $3K or so.

Old 06-18-2008, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax1997 View Post
My honda shadow spirit 1100 gets 49 mpg. I have it setup with windshield, bags and trunk. Looks good, rides good. And you should be able to find a late 90's model for $3K or so.

that's what i'm talking about. a bike that is usefull. that is great with the bags so you can go to the store if you need to. not some croch rocket that your nutz go numb after the first 20 minutes of riding. get something that is comfortable to ride on long trips if you decide to. just put some thought into it before you decide that's all.

Old 06-18-2008, 02:13 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,105,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFRRACING View Post

If your going to get one you may as well get one you can carry more than a sandwich in you pocket on. get one of these and you get all the comforts of your car. you can listen to the radio go to the grocery store and you can be very very comfortable. i love mine, i wouldn't trade it for anything metioned accept the silverwing because it's similar. i've had ten different bikes alot of what is mentioned and this is by far the best yet.
That bike looks heavy as hell. Plus the cost of maint will set you back big time. I would rather ride a smaller light weight bike with lower operating cost.

Old 06-18-2008, 02:28 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,507,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Springs Gator View Post
That bike looks heavy as hell. Plus the cost of maint will set you back big time. I would rather ride a smaller light weight bike with lower operating cost.
The Vespa GTS is 250cc and only 326 lbs. They also have a 300cc but I am not sure that will make it to America. I would love to see more scooters with the larger engines in a compact size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles