Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 01:18 AM

947 posts, read 3,409,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
On the east coast everyone waves to everyone else. Once I moved to AZ, I quickly realized that my BMW is invisible to Harley riders. Never once have I gotten a wave back from one in AZ. In CA yes, not in AZ. I just stopped waving to them. The crotch rocket guys always wave back.

My boyfriend had a BMW GS1100, he Always waved to All... but the same thing happened to him as you. He has a Yamaha FJR now but Yeah, he and I get waves back (or they wave 1st) always from crotch rocket riders, and from some others too, but so Rarely from Harley riders... Guess "We" are just not as Cool...???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 04:09 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,170,124 times
Beng an older guy I don't really need anything bigger than my little Honda Rebel. It gets great mpg and will run highway speeds. Here in Ohio I still get waves from HD riders. Doesn't seem to matter so much what you ride, it's just that you ride.
I do notice that scooter folks don't get many waves though.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:01 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,536,066 times
We've been riding for years and always wave. So there goes the theory of Harley riders NEVER waving.

The only times you see less waves here in Florida, is during the big bike events, It just gets so, you're never pulling your arm up. Everybody understands and nobody gets their itty bitty feelings hurt over it.

We even heard a guy (honda rider btw) whining because somebody complained to HIM that he never waved.

So you might want to take into the FACT that they just might be thinking about something else and not actually see you until it's too late to wave.

Good grief.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:12 PM

947 posts, read 3,409,000 times
Yeah, well, anyway it is Really No big deal. Just something to mention here...!!!

So,...
Do many of you travel to work on your bike and if so what is your gear? Do you wear a suit? What is the Best one and/or pants?

Right now I am only traveling about 15 miles to work and i don't have a suit yet.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:54 PM

1,775 posts, read 6,355,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali's Grandma View Post

The only times you see less waves here in Florida, is during the big bike events, It just gets so, you're never pulling your arm up. Everybody understands and nobody gets their itty bitty feelings hurt over it.
Reminds me of the no-salute policy in the Pentagon. With the kind of brass that roams the hallways there, you'd wear your arm out saluting.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by need4Trees View Post
Yeah, well, anyway it is Really No big deal. Just something to mention here...!!!

So,...
Do many of you travel to work on your bike and if so what is your gear? Do you wear a suit? What is the Best one and/or pants?

Right now I am only traveling about 15 miles to work and i don't have a suit yet.
I ride a BMW 1200GS and am taking it on a vacation/business trip all through CA in a few weeks. I'm having to explain to some of my clients why I'll be wearing riding gear to our meetings. I normally wear Corbon pants, (I have summer and winter versions), a flourescent yellow Olympia jacket (also have summer and winter versions), Timberland or Axo riding boots, a Scorpion helmet and I forget the gloves brand. I try not to give folks too much excuse for not seeing me.

Old 10-22-2008, 10:29 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,933,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by need4Trees View Post
Why do the Majority of riders on Cruisers Not Wave??? Is it cause I am a Girl!!! I don't get it...!!!
I'm a female sportbike rider... and I wave at everyone. Heck, I waved at a guy on a bicycle the other day.

Sadly, only sportbike riders wave back.

Never understood that. 2 wheels, why not wave.

And no... I don't ride to be more manly (I'm as girly girl as they come) and all the other misconceptions out there that I've heard. I ride 'cuz I like to and I don't ride on the back 'cuz I got tired of that big round spot in my line of site (that'd be the back of my husband's helmet).

I've toyed with the idea of gettin' a small cruiser (read: Honda Rebel or something similar), but I'm so comfortable with the overall position (and really the foot position) on a sportbike, I just can't get used to the position on a cruiser.

Rick Lee... rubber side down, dude! LOL!

Old 10-22-2008, 10:37 PM

I have to say I don't think I've ever seen a female riding a sport bike. Plenty as passengers, but not as drivers. I'd certainly go out of my way to wave at them.

That photo shows you what happens with street tires in silt-like sand in the Sonoran Desert. Wife was on back and we went down at least three times that day.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:34 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,407,960 times
I ride a 89 Kawasaki 454 LTD and an 80 Kawasaki 750 LTD and love em. I would be lost without them. I love the older bike and I may be in the market for another one from Colorado because they are real cheap there in the winter
I ride all year round. In fact when I picked up the 750 I rode her home in the snow. Was an experience to say the least. Never had anybody not wave

Old 10-23-2008, 12:38 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,350,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canibeyou View Post
I'm a female sportbike rider... and I wave at everyone. Heck, I waved at a guy on a bicycle the other day.

Sadly, only sportbike riders wave back.

Never understood that. 2 wheels, why not wave.

And no... I don't ride to be more manly (I'm as girly girl as they come) and all the other misconceptions out there that I've heard. I ride 'cuz I like to and I don't ride on the back 'cuz I got tired of that big round spot in my line of site (that'd be the back of my husband's helmet).

I've toyed with the idea of gettin' a small cruiser (read: Honda Rebel or something similar), but I'm so comfortable with the overall position (and really the foot position) on a sportbike, I just can't get used to the position on a cruiser.

Rick Lee... rubber side down, dude! LOL!
I wave at bicycles too, and they wave back I wave at everyone and most wave back, the Harley guys seem to wave when it's one on one but when it's a group they don't, I think it's just they don't want to be ragged by their friends that don't like us ricers. I'm seeing more Gals riding sport bikes all the time, I think their HOT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles