U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 08:47 PM

419 posts, read 1,150,532 times
Default Why Did You Buy A Motorcycle..?

I know this a broad subject, but I just wanted to bring it up and get some feedback on folks that own MCs today. Could it be the economy that drives a person to look for something easier on gas, or is the drive to own one more egotisticle and look cool, or maybe they just couldn't afford one when they where younger and now want one...? I'm sure there are many reasons, but I would like to hear your reason.

Let me give you my reason why I bought them. I had a desire back in the early 60's, when they were not very popular. I read every book I could find (at the library) that was available to educate myself about them. My passion was always the Indians and the Harleys for many reasons. The main reason being that my Grandfather and 2 of my Uncles owned them. Basically, I grew up with them. I purchased my HD when I was 14 for $125 and bought it at a junk yard. That bike was a 1945 EL 61 ci kuncklehead. Two years later I sold it and bought a 1950 FL for $200 and kept it for 10 years.

Flash forward to today. I don't own the old HD, but I do have an older 71 Truimph and a 92 HD. I do miss not having the old HDs, but I got rid of them for certain reasons and I do not want to bore you with those reasons. I see so many people riding today and would really like to understand their passion for owning a MC.

For those of you that do ride, have you actually had the experience of kick starting a bike. The older bikes had the kick start and the spark retarter on the handle bar. They also had a foot clutch with the shifter on the tank. Starting one of those old bikes was something I will not forget.

So please tell me what drove you to buy a MC..?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 02:00 AM

2,689 posts, read 4,242,850 times
The current bike I own is a sportbike that's race prepped (yet still street legal) so it's super-duper light (yes, that's the official technical term! ). That's seriously the main reason I bought the particular bike I currently own. I've owned a few, but none I love as much as this one simply because of how I can move it around.

The way I look at buying a bike is: Is it the type I like (i.e. sportbike vs. cruiser), is it affordable (I pay cash as I'm not into financing/ owing people money); is it light enough so I can maneuver it on my own (like into parking spaces and things like that). I'm not loyal to any specific brand name. At one point, our garage had a Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki and a Suzuki in it (sorry, I don't care for Italian bikes), so what name brand of sportbike is never an issue for me.

I've had many people ask me if I ride for the attention and I gotta tell ya... there's nothing farther from the truth. Yes, I'm female. Yes, I ride my own sportbike... but, no... I'm not doing it to look sexy, to get hollered at, to get driven around by cagers in a manner that, as they stare, they're actually endangering my life... and this list could go on. I know lots of female sportbike riders and I don't know any of them that ride for the attention. Riding for attention gets you hurt... if not killed.

However... with that said, I'd really appreciate more people paying attention when I ride... like that blue hair & knuckles that pulled outta the side street without so much as even looking my way last week.

And the reason I got my bike is because my husband and I like to ride and it's a kick a$$ hobby that we can share together. To us, it's nothing more than a hobby. Not riding to save gas, etc.

Have I ever kick started a bike? Nope. Lookie... I have an old classic car that still has drum brakes on it. That's enough work for me. I like the turn the key, push the button kinda start on my bike. Plus, at my size, I can just see myself sitting in the driveway attempting to kick start the bike while everyone else is out riding and enjoying the last of the good weather.

Old 10-27-2008, 02:16 AM

9,613 posts, read 10,181,076 times
Default Why Did You Buy A Motorcycle..?

i've had them sinse i was a kid so it was for fun, it still is but I'm so used to the good gas mileage that I ride to work year round even when I don't feel like it. on the occasion I drive my truck it seems boring.

Old 10-27-2008, 03:26 AM

2,171 posts, read 4,693,088 times
Yep, kicked started many a bike in my time. Been riding for over 40 years.
I'm 61 yrs old and still ride. Not to impress. Just for the joy of riding and the feeling of being free and enjoying the enviornment.
I ride safe. I have no need to try to impress anyone.
It's just me, the bike, and the road.
And watching out for any danger.
I don't ride stupid. But I look out for others who might drive or ride stupid.
So far, no injuries. I'll ride for as long as I can hold up the bike and be a responsible rider.
It's a fun way to travel as long as you don't try to show others what you can do and end up just showing them what you can't do.

Old 10-28-2008, 01:08 PM

52 posts, read 136,421 times
When I was a kid I put, what are probably now valuable, baseball cards on the spokes on my peddle bike. It sounded like the MC's I heard going down the street, or so I thought. What could be better then riding a bike you don't have to peddle? As soon as I was able to I bought my 1st dirt bike and have gone thru dirt, street, super sports and now cruisers. Every day I have free time and the sun is shining I get it hung out in the wind like everyone that rides. Again it's not what you ride it's that you ride. It's the joy of freedom and love of riding.

Ride safe.

Old 10-28-2008, 02:12 PM

190 posts, read 434,269 times
How about just cause it is fun? I'd like to say it saves me gas but I was hardly driving my car and walking most places so I am actually using more gas riding. I ride a maxi scooter so I am sure I don't look cool
I got rid of my car and ride everywhere. I am just at a time and place in my life that I can do that.
I agree with Canibeyou in that it can be a great shared hobby for a couple. I got my husband back into riding. He had bikes when he was younger and I was so anxious to get him riding with me I bought him a cruiser Now we spend our weekends touring.
Yes, I have kick started motorcycles. I've pull started a lot of lawn mowers also, not something I look forward to doing.

Old 10-28-2008, 04:57 PM

12,152 posts, read 20,592,118 times
I have ridden for 40 years and just love the feel of riding a bike. No ego involved at all, I would ride a pink POS if it were the only Motorcycle I had access to. I also have kicked started my fair share of the beastys. Even been know to attempt kick starting a particularly finicky Motorcycle and end up doing a handstand on the bars almost. First lesson my Father taught me with the kick start bikes was to not take them off the center stand or put the kickstand up until AFTER they were running just for such times. I hated that bike at times . I would dearly love to get my hands on an old Indian Scout sometime. Dad had the old side shift HD's for years.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:20 AM

8,183 posts, read 10,782,154 times
Husband had his 1st bike 72 sportster I believe back when he was in the Marine Corp. He used it mainly to get back and forth from the base to home.

I rode the dirt bikes growing up (yes a tomboy) but had a serious spill and have yet to gain my confidence back on the balance thing. I'm getting there slowly but surely. So I happily ride on the back of hubby's.

Our current bike is a 08 Road King. We have it mainly just for riding to be riding. When gas prices got so high it really came in handy.

We ride at least every other weekend and have a long trip planned over the Christmas/New Years week.

Old 10-29-2008, 12:33 PM

21 posts, read 57,657 times
Talked my Mother into buying a '68 Yamaha yg5t 80cc when I was 14 years old. I bought it new for $449 and still have it. Was hooked. Just enjoyed riding on the rural roads I grew up on and a little dirt biking to boot. Family,jobs, military etc and got out of riding for 20 years. Bought a new Harley in '96 and just enjoy the heck out of being on two wheels. Even after totalling the HD in '99 on the side of a car whose driver did not understand yield at stop sign. Now riding a 2000 HD that will probably go with me to the grave. I will be the first to admit that motorcyclists have to ride with a mind set that each and every driver is out to kill you in one form or another..... Even the local dog or deer if they decide to run out in front of you at the wrong time.

I guess it is one of those things that is hard to explain other than I just plain like to ride......

Old 11-02-2008, 07:57 PM

6,681 posts, read 10,040,394 times
Been riding for about 4 years now I think. I love the freedom of two wheels and even ride when it is stone cold outside. People often ask me am I crazy for riding year round like I do and I tell them "Id rather be freezing on two wheels then warm and trapped in a cage". Simple as. I am not a big fan of Chrome so I stick to the older bikes, they are a bit "classier" IMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles