Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2009, 12:45 PM

668 posts, read 2,185,962 times

Advertisements

I personally rode Hondas for a great many years. My last was a Honda 750. (I always wanted a Goldwing, but, since I didnt have a garage, or a decent place to keep a 'good bike' out of the weather, I never bothered to get one).

My Brother in law got a Harley, and its an awesome bike...(At least it was, until he got new 'headers' or mufflers for that silly thing so that it sounds like there is absolutely no mufflers at all, just a huge noise machine, which all Harley members seem to appreciate). I never liked a 'loud bike'...The quieter the bike was, the better it was...and it never bothered me that people always called mine a "japaneese rice burner" ROTFLOL! If thats what it takes to be quite on the road, so be it!

A buddy of mine recently got a Harley and showed it off to me...that puppy has the biggest back tire I have ever seen! It looks like a cartoon balloon, (how they would blow up thier thumbs and it would get huge...well, this one looks about on the same route as that!), and I laughed at it when I first saw it... (I think I offended my poor bud...but, I told him that it simply looked hilariously stupid and cartoonish...Its a good thing he is an easy going fella, because he is my mechanic for when ever I have car trouble...LOL!).

I gave my bike away to my other buddy, who traded it in for a real nice bike...(I figured I cant ride anymore, since I am on blood thinners for my heart, and unless the temperature is up to 90+ I am simply freezing while on the road...ferring and all!), unfortunately, he is dead now, and the bike went back to the bank, but, it was nice to see him ride, even if I cant anymore.

May the LORD Bless each of you.

I wish you well...

Jesse
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2009, 05:38 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,073,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkingmenace View Post
I personally rode Hondas for a great many years. My last was a Honda 750. (I always wanted a Goldwing, but, since I didnt have a garage, or a decent place to keep a 'good bike' out of the weather, I never bothered to get one).

My Brother in law got a Harley, and its an awesome bike...(At least it was, until he got new 'headers' or mufflers for that silly thing so that it sounds like there is absolutely no mufflers at all, just a huge noise machine, which all Harley members seem to appreciate). I never liked a 'loud bike'...The quieter the bike was, the better it was...and it never bothered me that people always called mine a "japaneese rice burner" ROTFLOL! If thats what it takes to be quite on the road, so be it!

A buddy of mine recently got a Harley and showed it off to me...that puppy has the biggest back tire I have ever seen! It looks like a cartoon balloon, (how they would blow up thier thumbs and it would get huge...well, this one looks about on the same route as that!), and I laughed at it when I first saw it... (I think I offended my poor bud...but, I told him that it simply looked hilariously stupid and cartoonish...Its a good thing he is an easy going fella, because he is my mechanic for when ever I have car trouble...LOL!).

I gave my bike away to my other buddy, who traded it in for a real nice bike...(I figured I cant ride anymore, since I am on blood thinners for my heart, and unless the temperature is up to 90+ I am simply freezing while on the road...ferring and all!), unfortunately, he is dead now, and the bike went back to the bank, but, it was nice to see him ride, even if I cant anymore.

May the LORD Bless each of you.

I wish you well...

Jesse
GOOD POST!!! Rep to ya

Old 04-18-2009, 02:44 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,173,926 times
woodworkingmenace: Great post. I'm sorry you can't ride any more. Harleys don't have to be loud, but most are. I don't know whether it actually improves the performance much to make them loud. I think most H-D riders just like them that way, possibly in connection with the 'loud pipes save lives' concept. I used to have a 650 Yamaha twin that I put a 2-into-1 on that was fairly loud, but after taking a 2500-mile trip on it and listening to it all day for a week, I put the stock exhaust back on.

Old 04-18-2009, 03:36 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,351,166 times
Harleys with fart pipes are quite possibly the most AWFUL sounding things on earth. At idle they sound decent, but once they crack the throttle and get rolling, it sounds like pure, unadulterated flatulence. Awful, awful, awful sounding garbage.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:34 AM

995 posts, read 2,726,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Harleys with fart pipes are quite possibly the most AWFUL sounding things on earth. At idle they sound decent, but once they crack the throttle and get rolling, it sounds like pure, unadulterated flatulence. Awful, awful, awful sounding garbage.
All depends on the bike and the type of pipe.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:54 PM

I agree. I don't mind them if they're deep and mellow and not terribly loud. Harleys have a nice sound, but so do a lot of other bikes.

Old 04-24-2009, 08:25 PM

458 posts, read 1,355,052 times
As the bros and I always say "If I have to explain it you would not understand" perhaps there are a few here who get this quote?

Old 04-24-2009, 10:32 PM

Default "If I have to explain..."

It's the same way with jazz music.

I don't feel that way about any particular brand of bike, but I do feel that way about motorcycling in general. It doesn't matter what you ride as long as you ride.

Old 04-25-2009, 09:40 AM

54 posts, read 73,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belinda_Cooperstone1 View Post
As the bros and I always say "If I have to explain it you would not understand" perhaps there are a few here who get this quote?
You're right. People rag on Hardleys basically because they suck as a motorcycle. As you and your "bros" always say, "If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand"!

Old 04-25-2009, 10:53 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,860,391 times
I sort of laughed when I read the title to this thread. I am a 62 year old Male. I fell in love with motorcycles when I was ten years old. When I was 13 I bought my first Harley, a 175cc Super10. I rode it until I was 16 and then I bought a 1960 XLCH. I have owned over 100 motorcycles in the past fifty years both street and off road. I have loved them all!

When I was in my teens and twenties I caught a lot of Flack from people because I usually rode a Harley on the street. Since I turned fifty I haven't owned a Harley. I am currently riding a Kawasaki 900 Vulcan. Now I get grief from some of the Harley riders that are in their forties and fifties and just recently purchased a motorcycle (usually a Harley) for the first time in their life. On a recent charity ride several of us were sitting around a shade tree eating Hot Dogs and the fixins when one of the Harley riders with all the H-D apparel he could wear asked me if I didn't feel out of place hanging around with a bunch of "real bikers". One of the guys ( Wild Bill) in the group had owned a Harley dealership in the 1970's and I had purchased several Harleys from him. When he heard the newby ask me that question I thought he was going to choke on his hot dog. After Wild Bill told of a few adventures we had shared the idiot that posed the question went after a cold beer and we never saw him again.

Any time I hear anyone knocking the bike that someone else rides I get a little bit peeved. Just be thankful that not all of us have the same tastes in bikes! Or Women!

GL2

GL2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles