Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 03:33 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
I was surfing youtube and I thought I would give you another GOOD NATURED dig "Sleeping Doc".

YouTube - Honda Valkyrie Nickel Test

ALL IN FUN!
Alright...where's my video camera? lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 04:32 PM

262 posts, read 567,172 times
In my opinion you ride what you have researched and like,what is comfortable and suits you.For me its all about riding,I just love to ride!.If someone doesn't like my bike then whatever!,I love my bike and I will not change my view because someone digs at it.I am an avid Gixxer fan (GSX-R) and always will be.If you like Harleys ride a Harley,if you like Yamaha's ride a Yamaha etc.Its all about enjoying riding.Thats me anyway.

Old 01-29-2009, 05:55 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,080,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Alright...where's my video camera? lol.
LOL

Old 01-29-2009, 09:40 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,032,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerotallica View Post
In my opinion you ride what you have researched and like,what is comfortable and suits you.For me its all about riding,I just love to ride!
Ditto on that

Getting into riding was literally a lifesaver for me. I had just gone thru a period of job burnout and depression that was so severe, I was off work for 6 months. When economic conditions dictated that I needed to get off my butt and start earning a paycheck, I felt that a bullet to the head would be more merciful Then I got a wild hair to try riding and started with a 250. Now I vary between my 600cc Silverwing, a Spyder, and a Ural. Each is different and fun in their own way, but what is most important is that I found an enjoyment in life that I thought lost.

I could give a fat rat's @ss what other people ride, or what they think of my bikes. I'm on my preferred ride and out in the wind for me. If work gets stressful (most of the time it is) I can just think of the coming weekend, when I take my bike up on the Blue Ridge Parkway or just to toodle around the back roads in my area. Lunch breaks are spent with my topo maps spread out, me taking a highlighter and marking routes I haven't explored yet. That long, 1000 mile one-way trip to visit family isn't the chore that it used to be because I take it on my bike instead of the claustrophobic car. When I need a periodic break from the job, relationships and responsibility, I toss camping gear in the sidecar of my Silverwing, check the weather and head out to whichever part of the state is going to be sunny for the next three days.

It's the verb, not the noun, that's important to me

Old 01-30-2009, 07:12 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,456,964 times
Quote:
Roaddog's post does deserve reps. For the most part, I feel the same. The part you highlighted may have been his and your experience, so why not save it for the real world? Because in this forum, most of the Harley riders seem to be pretty gracious, all things considered.
Yes, there are many fine Harley folks out there, but I'm sure they'll be the first to admit that alot of baggage (good and bad) comes with the brand. Truth be told, it's probably a big reason they chose it. But if you really wanna know why folks rag on Harleys, believe me, it's not out of envy or competitiveness.

I hear your "peace, love, can't we all get along" thing there "MD", and in a perfect world it would be great. But in case you hadn't noticed, there's a pretty popular perception that Harleys have also become a symbol for playing a particular role, and one that gets "judged"..... how 'ya dress, how 'ya act, and first & foremost, what's a "proper" ride. So right there you're not talking about riding bikes anymore, you're talking about "motorcycle as a fashion accessory". The fact of the matter is that much of Harley "Culture" is mainly about just that.... culture, identity, respect, brotherhood, etc., and much less about motorcycles.

Note that the term "poser" is basically about judging all that stuff, and it's rarely used on or by any other brand owner than Harleys. Dunno how long you've been riding, but perhaps you've also heard this is the crowd that's so obsessed with "image", they say things like, "a Sportster is a girls bike"! Or take the term "rice-burners"... is that a compliment and where do you think it began, with Vespa owners? And don't get me started about the big "American V-twin fests" like Sturgis, Laconia, etc. which definitely ain't about Hondas, Beemers or even "touring"...!

As far as the "waving thang", so maybe absolutely everybody near you always waves back (which frankly I kinda doubt), but long-time non-Harley riders all over the country will tell you it's a pretty common occurence, and that somehow the snooty "non-wavers" always "just happen" to be riding Harleys. And that may be a small thing, but just like the guy who refuses to shake hands with you, folks tend to remember that kinda stuff (duh)!

Add all that up, along with a machine that's consistently at the bottom of the heap anyway as far as value, performance, comfort and especially reliability.... and now you've got something that's just begging for frequent ridicule. So you may have a more "idealistic" view... fine, but also recognize that folks have good reason to want to vent occasionally and poke a little fun at some of our "cooler than thou" brethern.

Maybe it's kinda like being into, say, sportscars for a long time (Porsche, MG, Jag, whatever), and then having your already annoying neighbor suddenly start acting like he's a real sportscar buff too (and one with 'attitude' at that), because he just traded-in his old Taurus for an old Miata... worse, now listen to him try to convince you that Miatas are "cool", or even "bad-ass"!

Old 01-30-2009, 08:29 PM

Yeah, it's a reactionary response. I get that. I still think if a person is really secure in their own choices, all that other stuff wouldn't bother them. I certainly take some ribbing from motorcycle riders when I ride my Vespa, but I dont feel the need to retaliate. I just feel like I am privy to a secret that they dont know about. So maybe it's just me or my personality that I'm projecting on other people, expecting the same from them. I dont know.
I could hear a thousand more digs and jabs and I would STILL be 100% sure I made the right decision in buying my Harley. So people can jab away, if thats what it takes to make them feel better. I doubt it would be taken as well here though if a Harley owner pointed out the inadequacies of a Kawasaki or Honda. Personally, I would feel bad if I were to do so unless it was with a friend that I know well, and knew he would take it lightheartedly. I also find it interesting that all this venting is going on on a forum of pretty benign and friendly Harley owners (from what I have seen), as opposed to out in the real world with the true offenders of which you guys speak. That right there is proof that a lot of people look at the ride before the rider. Libertarian philosophy says you should always treat people as individuals because the moment you treat them as a part of a group, you are depriving them of their liberty. I agree with that philosophy. My "peace, love, can't we all get along, thing" as you put it, can only work one person at a time, so if someone wants to keep their attitude thats fine, and I'll keep mine.

Old 01-30-2009, 09:54 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,456,964 times
Quote:
Yeah, it's a reactionary response. I get that. I still think if a person is really secure in their own choices, all that other stuff wouldn't bother them. I certainly take some ribbing from motorcycle riders when I ride my Vespa, but I dont feel the need to retaliate. I just feel like I am privy to a secret that they dont know about. So maybe it's just me or my personality that I'm projecting on other people, expecting the same from them. I dont know.
I could hear a thousand more digs and jabs and I would STILL be 100% sure I made the right decision in buying my Harley. So people can jab away, if thats what it takes to make them feel better. I doubt it would be taken as well here though if a Harley owner pointed out the inadequacies of a Kawasaki or Honda. Personally, I would feel bad if I were to do so unless it was with a friend that I know well, and knew he would take it lightheartedly. I also find it interesting that all this venting is going on on a forum of pretty benign and friendly Harley owners (from what I have seen), as opposed to out in the real world with the true offenders of which you guys speak. That right there is proof that a lot of people look at the ride before the rider. Libertarian philosophy says you should always treat people as individuals because the moment you treat them as a part of a group, you are depriving them of their liberty. I agree with that philosophy. My "peace, love, can't we all get along, thing" as you put it, can only work one person at a time, so if someone wants to keep their attitude thats fine, and I'll keep mine.
Oh great, now we gotta bring Libertarian ideology into it too (actually, I think that's over in the "Political" forum)! BTW, telling folks what they can & can't criticize doesn't sound very "free" to me...

OK, you asked the OP, and sorry you don't "approve" of the answer. But maybe you protest too much. If you're really so "secure" with your own ride, and all those "digs & jabs" that you receive don't really bother 'ya as you say, then why would you care so much (& self-righteously too!) about "digs & jabs" at brands you don't even own (or are you secretly hankering for a Harley)?

In any case "Happy Trails" (and be sure to get back to us with how you still feel after those "thousand more digs and jabs"....)!

Old 01-31-2009, 05:00 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,080,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Yes, there are many fine Harley folks out there, but I'm sure they'll be the first to admit that alot of baggage (good and bad) comes with the brand. Truth be told, it's probably a big reason they chose it. But if you really wanna know why folks rag on Harleys, believe me, it's not out of envy or competitiveness.

I hear your "peace, love, can't we all get along" thing there "MD", and in a perfect world it would be great. But in case you hadn't noticed, there's a pretty popular perception that Harleys have also become a symbol for playing a particular role, and one that gets "judged"..... how 'ya dress, how 'ya act, and first & foremost, what's a "proper" ride. So right there you're not talking about riding bikes anymore, you're talking about "motorcycle as a fashion accessory". The fact of the matter is that much of Harley "Culture" is mainly about just that.... culture, identity, respect, brotherhood, etc., and much less about motorcycles.

Note that the term "poser" is basically about judging all that stuff, and it's rarely used on or by any other brand owner than Harleys. Dunno how long you've been riding, but perhaps you've also heard this is the crowd that's so obsessed with "image", they say things like, "a Sportster is a girls bike"! Or take the term "rice-burners"... is that a compliment and where do you think it began, with Vespa owners? And don't get me started about the big "American V-twin fests" like Sturgis, Laconia, etc. which definitely ain't about Hondas, Beemers or even "touring"...!

As far as the "waving thang", so maybe absolutely everybody near you always waves back (which frankly I kinda doubt), but long-time non-Harley riders all over the country will tell you it's a pretty common occurence, and that somehow the snooty "non-wavers" always "just happen" to be riding Harleys. And that may be a small thing, but just like the guy who refuses to shake hands with you, folks tend to remember that kinda stuff (duh)!

Add all that up, along with a machine that's consistently at the bottom of the heap anyway as far as value, performance, comfort and especially reliability.... and now you've got something that's just begging for frequent ridicule. So you may have a more "idealistic" view... fine, but also recognize that folks have good reason to want to vent occasionally and poke a little fun at some of our "cooler than thou" brethern.

Maybe it's kinda like being into, say, sportscars for a long time (Porsche, MG, Jag, whatever), and then having your already annoying neighbor suddenly start acting like he's a real sportscar buff too (and one with 'attitude' at that), because he just traded-in his old Taurus for an old Miata... worse, now listen to him try to convince you that Miatas are "cool", or even "bad-ass"!
You have pretty much laid it out correctly.My earlier post on the subject was already to long so I cut it down,but I was going to mention the sports car thing.The "type" of folks that have got into riding HDs in the last 15 yrs or so are the same ones who in the '70s had to have a curly permed mullet,gold chains and a vette to be "in style" .....later it was the high sitting 4x4s and boats and now it's motorcycles.It's more of a "hey,look at me" sorta thing to a lot of them (not all by a long shot,but more than enough to get a label hung on all of them).Those type guys were azzholes before they got a bike and will be azzholes when they get into another "fad" in a few years and HD has nothing to do with it,just the way they are.Those are also the "type" you see getting their teeth knocked out in beer joint parking lots,wiping out a lot and revving their bikes the most and just generally being noisy and stupid.

On the other side of the coin you have millions of guys/gals who just love to ride and HD is what they want and are willing to pay for and they don't let it go to their head and think they have "street cred" just for the mere fact that they purchased a HD.

Old 01-31-2009, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Oh great, now we gotta bring Libertarian ideology into it too (actually, I think that's over in the "Political" forum)! BTW, telling folks what they can & can't criticize doesn't sound very "free" to me...

OK, you asked the OP, and sorry you don't "approve" of the answer. But maybe you protest too much. If you're really so "secure" with your own ride, and all those "digs & jabs" that you receive don't really bother 'ya as you say, then why would you care so much (& self-righteously too!) about "digs & jabs" at brands you don't even own (or are you secretly hankering for a Harley)?

In any case "Happy Trails" (and be sure to get back to us with how you still feel after those "thousand more digs and jabs"....)!
I dont think you are really understanding what I am talking about. You are free to criticize whoever and whatever you like, just I a free criticize your criticism. You cant get much more free than that. Hell, thats what this country was founded on.

I dont really protest too much...or at all, for that matter. You cant really tell in a forum where you see typed words rather than hearing the tone of my voice and seeing the expression on my face, but I am pretty unemotional about the whole thing. It's all pretty academic to me. I'm not protesting so much as pointing out the realities of this particular situation.

I dont really get what you are saying here in this next sentence...
" then why would you care so much (& self-righteously too!) about "digs & jabs" at brands you don't even own (or are you secretly hankering for a Harley)?"
I dont really care about digs and jabs about brands I dont own. I do own Harley though, and as I said, I dont really care all that much about those jabs either. I just dont get anything out of dissing other people's bikes, thats all. If you do, go for it, but dont get mad when people call you on it.

If my statement about there being nothing you can say that will change my feelings about my bike, makes you feel happy for me that I found the right bike, that would be a the response of a secure person. Hell, even if you feel totally indifferent to it, thats fine, but if it makes you feel a little pissed off, that would be the response of an insecure person.

Last edited by AnesthesiaMD; 01-31-2009 at 06:02 AM..

Old 01-31-2009, 08:46 AM

717 posts, read 1,955,042 times
I actually like HD's. I like smokin' them each and every opportunity I get! Such fun to spank these pretenders with true performance and grit. I really don't know who I enjoy more: the "look at me yuppies" on their shiny Road King dressers or the leather clad long hairs on their old Pan and Knuckle Heads...both are great fun to B**** Slap on the twisties and straightaways with my boosted, built and NOS'd VTX!!! With a 160 pounds of torque eating a steady diet of HD products is a requirement for good "rice burner" health!

On the flip side, I do like some recent HD styling changes and technological improvements. Your nameplate is not as antiquated as it once was doc. The V-Rods, not really HD but in the peripheral family, so to speak, are really the only Harley product worth throwing a leg over in my view but this is my choice. I seek performance and style...not measly style and image. HD is mostly just style and image and history. This is not to say some S&S mills cannot perform. The largest S$S motors, not typically used in HD applications, can be obtained in tremendous bikes such as Bourgets, and others. Some can even exceed 200 horse power and that is impressive with pushrods and air cooling! I really like the look of S&S and other clones of this style; beautiful power-plants to be quite sure. Harley stays with the little motors, however, and performance remains pathetic.

Ride whatever you want, doc, your pockets are certainly a lot deeper than those of most of the rest of ours. Hell, buy an OCC original why don't ya and shut us all up!!!!!

Last edited by dracul; 01-31-2009 at 09:09 AM.. Reason: enjoying smoking road kings all day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles