Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 11:09 AM

438 posts, read 1,351,859 times

Advertisements

Greetings,
I have traveled South America and Africa extensively on the following Bikes:

Honda TransAlp, Honda Africa Twin (both 750cc) and a Suzuki DX800S.

I am due to return to the USA after many years abroad and have been searching the web for the Honda's but they seem very difficult to find.

I have enjoyed my Suzuki DX800S but do not find it as comfortable, seat height etc, and easy to ride as the Honda's.

Is there anyone who may be able to offer a suggestion for a "Dual Purpose" (Road legal/Safe and Dirt Safe) bike that would meet with similar specifications and is as reliable as those mentioned above?

I have looked at the BMW's and although they are great bikes, are a bit out of my budget and spares are not freely available in many countries where I would like to continue my travels.

I will probably have to go for a low mileage pre-owned model initially to get into a comfort zone with any suggestions before making any commitments on a new model.

I would like to examine all the probabilities and your input would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
Dee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 01:17 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,179,640 times
I have wanted a TransAlp for a long time, but in today's economy especially, I don't expect it to be for sale in the USA any time soon. I don't know anything at all about the "Africa Twin".

Japan gets bikes in its home market that are attractive to me too. They have big air-cooled transverse fours for sale that I'd like to have available. It's mostly roadrace replicas and cruisers here.

Old 02-23-2009, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I have wanted a TransAlp for a long time, but in today's economy especially, I don't expect it to be for sale in the USA any time soon. I don't know anything at all about the "Africa Twin".

Japan gets bikes in its home market that are attractive to me too. They have big air-cooled transverse fours for sale that I'd like to have available. It's mostly roadrace replicas and cruisers here.
.................................................. ...........................................
Thanks Catman for your input,

Fe de Errata: The TransAlp was actually a 583cc engine, a bit sluggish compared to the Africa Twin (750cc) which was a more comfortable ride, better seat position, clearance, weight distribution and torque.

You notice the Difference when you are packed to travel with saddlebags and on occasion an extra passenger. The TransAlp suffered terribly compared to the Africa Twin.

The TransAlp seemed a little "softer" - if you get my drift- and the Africa Twin is certainly the better machine. I rode across parts of Africa on both bikes on the Trans Africa "Highway" (more like a dirt trail in places) and had absolutely no problems with either.

I have ridden both the Suzuki (mentioned in my previous posting) and the Africa Twin through the Andes to almost 5000 metres above sea level and have had absolutely no problems, minor adjustments were necessary, but that is understandable

Don't get me wrong, both are excellent bikes and worthy of the name Honda. But take into consideration the "two up" with long distance travel equipment if you plan to do some tough roads and conditions.

Top cruise/acceleration speeds are also significantly different and the Africa Twin comes out on top.

I think that the difference arises from the purpose of each motorcycle:-

• The TransAlp was developed for the European market where the majority of these bikes are on tarred/asphalt roads, mainly warm weather riding, and have mountains. The Transalp is made for 15% off road and 85% Road.
  • The Africa Twin was developed for consumption by all weather African and Australian riders who have a whole lots of drifts, deserts, rivers, rough roads- or nothing at all,- extreme conditions (both below zero and way above "Bloody hot, Mate") Made for 40% Offroad.
I particularly noticed the difference between the two bikes when in Africa and a pride of lions wanted a pre- wrapped "Hot Pocket" breakfast (me in my sleeping bag), or when a herd of 250+ elephants decided they didn't particularly like the sound of my gearchanges when going through a drift........and it was not that easy to dig holes with your teeth and change your underwear at the same time while on a Honda in motion.....!!

I have been looking for either as they will both serve my purpose of riding in the USA. Those I have found have high mileages and are getting on in years and sound like they have been ridden hard.

Is there any chance of importing or obtaining either from Japan? I know that in Japan most used bikes are exported to third world countries as they dont want them on te island due to no space. I will be consulting with people (on my return to USA) in the Import/ export business in Japan and USA to see what can be done. In that case I will definitely go for the Africa Twin.

Thanks for any feedback and for replying to this thread...
Have a great remainder of the week.
Take care
Dee

Old 02-23-2009, 10:13 PM

DBCC: You have had a considerably more varied motorcycling experience than I have. Mine has all been all on the roads of the USA. I didn't know much about the TransAlp, other than that it wasn't built for speed, but it still interested me. I would assume that the 750cc Africa Twin would be more powerful, although I had never heard of it before.

My first bike was a Suzuki X-6 Hustler (T20), a 250cc two-stroke that I rode all over several states on. I have a classic bike now, a 1984 Honda V65 Sabre, which is certainly powerful enough for me. It's my sixth bike. My favorite trip is to the mountains of New Mexico from here in Texas.

Old 02-25-2009, 12:49 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,765,227 times
Try a Used GS series BMW

Old 02-27-2009, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Try a Used GS series BMW
Thanks GregW for your comment. The problem with the BMW's is that if I continue traveling as much as I like to and being on the road, it is sometimes difficult to find spares. Honda spares are more freely available and are normally cheaper. There is nothing worse that having to sit around for a couple of days waiting for BMW to ship spares to where you're at.

BMW's are certainly good bikes and I would love to have one on these trips, but sometimes one has to be practical.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:24 PM

Ok guys, I think my search is over. Found a Kawasaki Versys 650cc which is not really a dual-purpose bike (Versys stands for VERsatile SYStem) but suits my needs.

It's only defect so far is that the tank is pretty small but power/comfort (after you have changed the seat) and handling is just what I am looking for.

There are a lot of2008 models with O mile/with warranty/guarantees etc available from concessionaires and retailers in a number of states that have not been sold .......at amazingly low prices!

I have visited the Versys Forum Kawasaki Versys Forum - Powered by vBulletin and there seem to be a lot of people very happy with them.

I have ridden one on a test-drive in the mountains here. Great bike, lots of power, nicely positioned center of gravity, and smoothe as silk.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:18 PM

You are welcome. I've heard good things about the Versys.

BTW, I read that the engine in the new 'light tourer' Honda 700 V-twin is the same one as is in the TransAlp!

Old 04-15-2010, 11:31 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,765,227 times
I just got my 1980 Kawasaki KZ1300 on the road. So far I only dropped it from a stop while approaching an uphill stop sign and the engine stalled. With some help I righted the thing and rode it home. No damage to the bike and a set of sore ribs for me. Although this is as far from what you want as a Harley Super whatever I just wanted to express my interest in what you are doing. I would have held out for a BMW but I just fell, literally and figuratively for the Kawasaurus.

I still recommend BMW because of the reliability (I sold mine with 155k on the clock) and the fact that there are dealers all over the place.

Good luck and safe riding.

Old 04-15-2010, 12:16 PM

GregW. Damn!!
Sorry to hear about the fall. Hope you are doing ok. Those buggers look pretty heavy and just suppose that it takes some getting used to.
Take it easy till you get the hang of it.
Safe riding and stay well!
DBCC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles