Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 01:12 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,066,267 times

Advertisements

In the towns I live in and own property in here in Montana I see unlicensed Quads running about the streets every day and nobody blinks an eye.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2009, 06:22 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,471,711 times
To clarify, ATV's can be made street legal and licensed as motor vehicles for travel on streets, county roads, and some highways (with variations) in the following Rocky Mountain and Great Plains states: North Dakota, South Dakota, Montana, Idaho, Utah (just recently), Wyoming and Arizona. They can NOT be licesnsed as motor vehicles per se in New Mexico or Colorado. Both Colorado and New Mexico have specific provisions prohibiting their use on most public streets and roads outside of designated public land trails and roads. Of the states mentioned that allow licensing, South Dakota and Wyoming appear to be about the least restrictive, Utah the most.

Old 09-06-2009, 09:34 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,177,205 times
sorry, Jazzlover ... but it've quite legal to make a 4-wheeler "legal" in Colorado for street use. Wikipedia even has an article on this and the relevant statutes posted.

The applicable statutes took effect 1-1-1995, which essentially detail the lighting and safety equipment needed to register and operate a quad on the street. The biggest obstacle that I see in the statutes is the requirement for "turn signals" which typically don't come on quads ... but with a little ingenuity (a motorcycle handlebar mounted TS switch) and wiring them into the brake light circuits (ie, my late Polaris 6x6's have dual rear lights), they'll qualify. A horn would be no big deal to install and wire up, too.

The requirement for a windshield is easy to get around by using appropriate eyewear or goggles when operating the machine on the streets.

I've seen license plated and street operated ATV's on public roads around everywhere from Georgetown to Steamboat Springs to Walden .....

The current Colorado statutes that address the use of ATV's on roads in "public lands" ... such as state forest areas ... are designed to control the use of an unregistered/unlicensed ATV in a local use where it may be a short distance between true "off-road" use areas connected by roads (or trails) where motorized vehicle traffic is legal. But these statutes don't address the situation where a "utility motor vehicle" (such as an ATV) may be a registered/licensed/insured "street legal" motor vehicle ... because at the time they were written, the legislature didn't recognize that an ATV could be brought into compliance as a street legal vehicle and licensed (ah, but they can ...). Case in point, I have a friend who got into manufacturing an 8-wheeled utility all-terrain vehicle that could "swim" back in the 1970's ... powered with a Wisconsin v-4 aircooled motor set into a fiberglass bathtub enclosure and equipped with legal lights, brakes, and a plexiglass windshield. Had his sales and dealership network been a success, you'd have seen more than the half-dozen of these that he built running around the Lakewood area ... and they were street legal and licensed back then, much smaller than a VW based dune buggy with seating for two and some gear (intended to be a "go anywhere" hunting/fishing vehicle).

I have no doubt that Colorado will have to change their statutes to reflect the Fed recent statutes and language regarding "utility" vehicles, where the Colorado existing statutes regard ATV's as a sub-set of motorcycles. This is the same situation that Wyoming faced in their laws, and it's been a process to get them changed/implemented. But the fact is that many ATV's are quite street legal ... or can be made so with minimal alterations ... in accordance with the latest Fed statutes; it's just a case now of the states' updating their statutes to reflect the latest requirements. Wyoming doesn't require turn signals on street licensed ATV's, so that made it a lot easier as far as mods go to make the licensing.

Last edited by sunsprit; 09-06-2009 at 10:15 AM..

Old 09-06-2009, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
sorry, Jazzlover ... but it've quite legal to make a 4-wheeler "legal" in Colorado for street use. Wikipedia even has an article on this and the relevant statutes posted.

The applicable statutes took effect 1-1-1995, which essentially detail the lighting and safety equipment needed to register and operate a quad on the street. The biggest obstacle that I see in the statutes is the requirement for "turn signals" which typically don't come on quads ... but with a little ingenuity (a motorcycle handlebar mounted TS switch) and wiring them into the brake light circuits (ie, my late Polaris 6x6's have dual rear lights), they'll qualify. A horn would be no big deal to install and wire up, too.

The requirement for a windshield is easy to get around by using appropriate eyewear or goggles when operating the machine on the streets.

I've seen license plated and street operated ATV's on public roads around everywhere from Georgetown to Steamboat Springs to Walden .....

The current Colorado statutes that address the use of ATV's on roads in "public lands" ... such as state forest areas ... are designed to control the use of an unregistered/unlicensed ATV in a local use where it may be a short distance between true "off-road" use areas connected by roads (or trails) where motorized vehicle traffic is legal. But these statutes don't address the situation where a "utility motor vehicle" (such as an ATV) may be a registered/licensed/insured "street legal" motor vehicle ... because at the time they were written, the legislature didn't recognize that an ATV could be brought into compliance as a street legal vehicle and licensed (ah, but they can ...). Case in point, I have a friend who got into manufacturing an 8-wheeled utility all-terrain vehicle that could "swim" back in the 1970's ... powered with a Wisconsin v-4 aircooled motor set into a fiberglass bathtub enclosure and equipped with legal lights, brakes, and a plexiglass windshield. Had his sales and dealership network been a success, you'd have seen more than the half-dozen of these that he built running around the Lakewood area ... and they were street legal and licensed back then, much smaller than a VW based dune buggy with seating for two and some gear (intended to be a "go anywhere" hunting/fishing vehicle).

I have no doubt that Colorado will have to change their statutes to reflect the Fed recent statutes and language regarding "utility" vehicles, where the Colorado existing statutes regard ATV's as a sub-set of motorcycles. This is the same situation that Wyoming faced in their laws, and it's been a process to get them changed/implemented. But the fact is that many ATV's are quite street legal ... or can be made so with minimal alterations ... in accordance with the latest Fed statutes; it's just a case now of the states' updating their statutes to reflect the latest requirements. Wyoming doesn't require turn signals on street licensed ATV's, so that made it a lot easier as far as mods go to make the licensing.
Sorry, sunsprit, but that is not correct. Colorado Statute specifically prohibits the use of ATV's on public roads or highways, with some specific exceptions. Many counties have been lax in enforcing this, but are becoming much more rigorous. There are also some counties who permitted people to license ATV's as motor vehicles. I checked with our local County Clerk on this--she contacted the state, who told her it is flat not legal, and if it was done, it was done in error.

The salient statute can be read here:

OHV Laws - Colorado State Parks (http://parks.state.co.us/OHVsandSnowmobiles/OHVProgram/OHVLawsRegulations/OHV+Laws.htm - broken link)

This part is specific:

Quote:
33-14.5-108 - Off-highway vehicle operation prohibited on streets, roads, and highways.
(1) No off-highway vehicle may be operated on the public streets, roads, or highways of this state except in the following cases:
(a) When a street, road, or highway is designated open by the state or any agency or political subdivision thereof;
(b) When crossing streets or when crossing roads, highways, or railroad tracks in the manner provided in section 33-14-112;
(c) When traversing a bridge or culvert;
(d) During special off-highway vehicle events lawfully conducted pursuant to the authority granted to local political subdivisions in this article;
(e) During emergency conditions declared by the proper state or local authority;
(f) When local political subdivisions have authorized by ordinance or resolution the establishment of off-highway vehicle routes to permit the operation of off-highway vehicles on city streets or county roads, but no street or road which is part of the state highway system may be so designated;
(g) When using an off-highway vehicle for agricultural purposes;
(h) (I) When the United States or any agency thereof authorizes by any means such operation on lands under its jurisdiction.
(II) No action is required to be taken by the United States pursuant to this paragraph (h) to authorize the use of off-highway vehicles on lands under the jurisdiction of the United States.

(2) Any person who violates subsection (1) of this section is guilty of a class 2 petty offense and, upon conviction thereof, shall be punished by a fine of twenty-five dollars.
I wish Colorado had statutes like Wyoming's or South Dakota's, but it does not.

Old 09-06-2009, 02:26 PM

Sorry, Jazzlover ... but you and your source County Clerk are correct only to the extent as to apply the statutes as they exist when you're dealing with an ATV in Colorado.

My point remains that under the sections 42 and 38, I (and anybody else) can readily modify a motor vehicle titled ATV that has factory brakes (and brake lights), compliant exhaust system, headlights, and tires (not tracked vehicles, to my knowledge) with turn signals, a horn, and qualify it as a street legal and licensed motor vehicle (with appropriate insurance) in Colorado.

The Colorado statutes are pretty clear about exempting the requirement for a safety glass windshield, too, by using appropriate glasses or goggles on such a vehicle on the street.

It has been done by others in the past, and I've seen the license plated vehicles on public streets and roadways in Colorado. Of course, they were on 35-45 mph streets, typically dirt or gravel roads, but they were legally used on paved roads, too, to get to shopping/recreation areas.

We had a similar discussion about a related ATV topic on the Wyoming thread a little while ago ... where ElkHunter's County Clerk had a different interpretation of the applicable laws regarding titling/registration of ATV's in Wyoming ... my CC was requiring titles on all new sales and transfers (leading to licensing OK for the streets), and his CC was not. It took a call to the head of the WYHP to get a clarification of the existing laws ... and a notification that the ambiguous language here was being changed in the Wyoming legislature to mandate the titling as opposed to leaving it optional with the CC. I suspect the same situation is happening in this thread ... you're visiting with your CC who has their take on the ATV regs (and isn't conversant with how to make an ATV comply with the street legal requirements), and I'm reporting what I've seen in other counties and how folks have, in fact, legally complied with making their ATV's street legal in Colorado and used them for that purpose. Again, all this stuff revolves around the latest Federal motor vehicle standards and their new "utility" vehicle category as opposed to the old statutes which considered an ATV a motorcycle variant ... where now they are considered a "motor vehicle" subject to their own standards of height, weight, length/width, HP, seating, lighting placement, etc.

The real answer here, for the moment, will probably be ... in which Colorado county do you want to register your ATV for street use? It's probably all in the hands of the CC's for now until more clarification comes in the state statutes.

Old 09-06-2009, 02:41 PM

sunsprit,

You're probably right about that. The Clerk in my county won't register them as a vehicle. She hangs her hat on the statutory definition of an "Off Highway Vehicle," quoted below from 33-14.5-101, C.R.S.:

Quote:
(3) "Off-highway vehicle" means any self-propelled vehicle which is designed to travel on wheels or tracks in contact with the ground, which is designed primarily for use off of the public highways, and which is generally and commonly used to transport persons for recreational purposes. "Off-highway vehicle" does not include the following:
(a) Vehicles designed and used primarily for travel on, over, or in the water;
(b) Snowmobiles;
(c) Military vehicles;
(d) Golf carts;
(e) Vehicles designed and used to carry disabled persons;
(f) Vehicles designed and used specifically for agricultural, logging, or mining purposes; or
(g) Vehicles registered pursuant to article 3 of title 42, C.R.S.
and the citation from the C.R.S., with my emphasis added in bold:

Quote:
33-14.5-108 - Off-highway vehicle operation prohibited on streets, roads, and highways.
(1) No off-highway vehicle may be operated on the public streets, roads, or highways of this state except in the following cases:
(a) When a street, road, or highway is designated open by the state or any agency or political subdivision thereof;
(b) When crossing streets or when crossing roads, highways, or railroad tracks in the manner provided in section 33-14-112;
(c) When traversing a bridge or culvert;
(d) During special off-highway vehicle events lawfully conducted pursuant to the authority granted to local political subdivisions in this article;
(e) During emergency conditions declared by the proper state or local authority;
(f) When local political subdivisions have authorized by ordinance or resolution the establishment of off-highway vehicle routes to permit the operation of off-highway vehicles on city streets or county roads, but no street or road which is part of the state highway system may be so designated;
(g) When using an off-highway vehicle for agricultural purposes;
(h) (I) When the United States or any agency thereof authorizes by any means such operation on lands under its jurisdiction.
(II) No action is required to be taken by the United States pursuant to this paragraph (h) to authorize the use of off-highway vehicles on lands under the jurisdiction of the United States.
Things are also getting interesting in places like Hinsdale County, where they have an ordinance against riding ATV's on the town streets in Lake City and on county roads outside of the National Forest boundaries. ATV'ers from states (like Arizona) with valid motor vehicle licenses on their ATV's say they can ride legally on those streets. Local law enforcement thinks otherwise, and I haven't heard how that little dust-up is coming out. The county insists that ATV's must be trailered to a trailhead at the Forest Service boundary, and not driven on the county road leading to the forest. That is inconvenient as hell, and plenty of people are ticked off about it.

As I said earlier, it would be nice if the statute was amended to read like Wyoming's or South Dakota's on ATV's. Considering, however, that Colorado's Legislature is dominated almost entirely by metropolitan representatives and senators (87 out of 100 of the Legislature being from metro counties), I doubt that will happen.

Old 09-06-2009, 08:45 PM

It would also be interesting to see how it would be handled in Colorado if someone were to bring in from Wyoming a titled/legally licensed/insured street motor vehicle ... a "utility vehicle" ... which bore a remarkable resemblance to an ATV as defined by Colorado 33 CRS. Same potential for conflict on the streets that a legal AZ licensed vehicle represents to the local police/sheriff depts.

From what I understand, there's inter-state reciprocity on street legal licensed vehicles, so the Wyoming (and AZ) plated vehicle could legally be operated on Colorado roads. Properly licensed/insured, and operated in accordance with the street laws, I don't see how the local law enforcement can discriminate against these vehicles.

I don't see any difference in this situation than comparing other Colorado regs against Wyoming's ... for example, two of my motor vehicles will not comply with Colorado front range emissions requirements (missing emissions equipment, like the over-run solenoid on my Alfas SPICA fuel injection pump, although all will pass a tailpipe test on the dyno) or Colorado safety regs (windshield cracks). Even Coloradoan's skirt around those issues on Front Range compliance with vehicles that will not meet the emissions testing with vehicles that are registered in other counties, even though Colorado's Air program mandates that vehicles operated frequently (as in a worker who commutes into the Front range counties) there must have an emissions test/compliance. Colorado even tried to enforce that against Wyoming workers that commute into the Front Range ....

Last edited by sunsprit; 09-06-2009 at 09:06 PM..

Old 09-06-2009, 09:29 PM

There has been a hot debate on the reciprosity issue. It is discussed in some Q & A's on the Colorado Off-Highway Vehicle Coalitions web page: Colorado OHV Coalition

Another interesting rub is that some states consider a 4-wheel ATV as a "motorcycle" when street-licensed, and some of those states require the driver to have a motorcycle operator's license. A common complaint is that driving examiners haven't even been instructed on how to give a driving test to a "motorcyclist" driving a 4-wheel ATV. What's more, many ATV riders do not want to drive or can not safely drive a motorcycle, but are forced to test on one in order to be able to drive their ATV's on the street. I noted that South Dakota and Wyoming do NOT require this, but I believe Utah does.

In my own case, I could actually drive an ATV to work every day rather than an automobile. But, I can't legally do that in Colorado right now. I also have a physical disability that precludes me from riding a two-wheel motorcycle, though I can ride a 4-wheel ATV just fine. When I lived in Wyoming, I knew a guy that rode his ATV to work every day in Cheyenne, winter and summer--all legally licensed.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:46 PM

1 posts, read 52,023 times
Hello. I live in missouri and I have been wanting to get my atv street legal. I was wondering what i needed to do to make my atv street legal or if its even possible. i did read that atv's are prohibited on streets but are "legal for farm or industrial purposes only". So does this mean that i could license and insure and register this trx 450r under my fathers Company's name? I will really appriciate any information about this especially the missouri rules and regulations. Thanks Philip

Old 10-16-2009, 05:03 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,682,072 times
In Maine many rural towns have made all town roads open to ATVs. From my home I can ride over 100 miles to the ocean. stick my tires in salt water just to say I did and ride back, all legally. We ride on public roads, private logging roads and trails. We can ride to restaurants and gas stations on many state highways. We can run on state highways to get to bridges that cross rivers. We have over 10,000 miles of trail and people tell me this is ATV heaven.

Caution: You can't just ride anywhere you want. You must be on designated trails, authorized public roads or have permission from the landowner. 95% of Maine is privately owned land. We have no BLM to contend with here.

We have a Polaris 500 ATP, Polaris 300 Sportsman and an old Suzuki 250 that has more forward speeds than a Peterbilt. ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles