Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 09:50 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,861,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
It is my understanding that the new Bonnies are much more reliable. I'm also 63 and still riding my 1984 Honda V65 Sabre. Old guys can still go fast when they want to! I ride fairly conservatively 95% of the time. I'm sure the Vulcan is a nice ride, but the Bonnie is more my cup of tea (that seemed like an appropriare expression).
The V-65's were a great bike Catman. I had a 82- 650 and 83-750 Nighthawk at about the time the V065 came out. I thought about getting a V-65 but I wasn't satisfied with the trade in offered by the dealer. If you can find a decent V-65 in my area now it is bringing top dollar.

I still like to go fast but the reflexes aren't what they used to be and if I laid a bike down now I break a lot easier now LOL. I get my go fast thrills in the four wheelers now. They are a lot more forgiving.

GL2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2009, 10:54 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
Gunluvver2: Ten-four on the breaking a lot easier. I found that out in 2002, when I had a little spill at about 50 mph that broke a bone in my left hand. I had a nearly identical accident about 20 years earlier that didn't break anything!

I love my V65. It has 98K on it and is still running fine. The only thing I don't like about it is that it runs hot when it is trapped in traffic. I found out that the thermostat doesn't even open until it gets to 190 F, so apparently it's designed that way, possibly for lower emissions.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:17 AM

1,384 posts, read 2,345,632 times
I ride a Ducati now, but if I could have a second bike, it would definitely be the Bonneville.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:19 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
The Bonnie's practically the only standard bike left in current production. That's my preference, as well. I hate having my feet way out in front of me or shoved behind me.

Old 09-29-2009, 02:08 PM

I agree completely. I like a nice neutral riding position with a slight forward lean, so as to balance against the wind at highway speeds. The feet-forward, sitting up straight cruiser position just isn't comfortable IMO, and I'm too old to ride crouched over low bars for hours at a time.

Old 10-03-2009, 09:43 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,861,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I agree completely. I like a nice neutral riding position with a slight forward lean, so as to balance against the wind at highway speeds. The feet-forward, sitting up straight cruiser position just isn't comfortable IMO, and I'm too old to ride crouched over low bars for hours at a time.
I know what you mean about the straight up seating position and wide handlebars catman. When I bought my 2006 Vulcan I was worried about that issue. However I did several 100 mile runs on the Interstate at 75mph and even though I do NOT have a windshield the seating was very comfortable and I didn't have that constant need to pull myself forward. The Kawasaki engineers did a fantastic job in seat and handlebars for my situation at least.

I have degenerative joint disease and I have to have a low slung bike that I can swing my leg over easily. That was the main reason I purchased the Vulcan 900. When I was in my 20's and 30's I made several trips from Nebraska to Santa Cruz, CA to visit my father. I did the 1800 mile trip several times in a day and a half on Sportsters with the 2-1/4 gallon tanks. I cannot stay in the saddle that long now. But then I am retired and if I have to get somewhere in a hurry I take the airlines or Amtrak. If I was in my twenties I would not be riding the Vulcan but now that I am in my sixties my riding style has changed. The old Yamaha commercial about different strokes for different folks makes a lot of sense.

GL2

Old 10-03-2009, 01:46 PM

Wow, that long trip on a Sportster with the small tank must have been something! And those were the old Sportsters that vibrated a lot more than they do now (they were fine at 60 mph, but 70 up was a big buzz). But at least you had to stop fairly often.

One big advantage of the Vulcan is that it doesn't have a chain to deal with. Chains are fine for short hops, but I don't think they are great for long trips, at least not on a frequent basis. Sooner or later you'll get into a dust storm or some other bad weather that will mess it up. I remember coming back from New Mexico with the chain and both sprockets trashed because of the grit blowing around and sticking to the poor chain.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:12 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times
Great article in Slate magazine this week....

The cult of the vintage Honda. - By Tim Wu - Slate Magazine

Old 10-14-2009, 01:11 AM

I can remember when that 305cc Super Hawk (or 250cc Hawk) pictured was a hot bike! It would blow away all the 90s and 160s. And it is pretty, ya gotta admit that. There should definitely be more little street bikes. People shouldn't learn to ride on big bikes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles