Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 08:24 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,915,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
i occassionally give a quick blip before i start to let out the clutch. i really don't know why; maybe i secretly have a need to be a *** (see the SP episode thread). i do it in my car as well, though, and that thing is just a bone stock Scion. somehow it's just a habit with manual transmission vehicles i got myself into.
Mike
I'm with you. I think I give it a quick snap when I drop her into gear and I'm letting the clutch out. Not to be an *ss, but just something I do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 04:16 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,652,487 times
With the Silverwing since it's a scooter I would be in the intersection!!! I see it as sort of being a show off and I'm not impressed....

Old 11-15-2009, 06:05 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times
For a while, I was riding an old rigid panhead that, on cold days, would stall every time I stopped. I revved that at lights when I anticipated a stall. I dont rev my fuel injected bikes at lights though. What would be the point?

Old 11-16-2009, 03:22 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,967,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
I'm wondering if anyone here typically revs their engine at red lights while waiting for the light to change. If you do, can you explain why you do it? I find it annoying personally... thanks.
My pipes are noisy anyway V&H Longshots ... but if I am beside someone that appears to be annoyed ... yes I will rev my engine. Normally I don't.

Old 11-16-2009, 06:52 PM

1,135 posts, read 3,982,336 times
Be proud of yourself.

Old 11-21-2009, 09:57 PM

2,637 posts, read 4,463,432 times
On older Limey Bikes, we got in the habit of blipping the throttle at red lights and any time we stopped, cause they would not idle on their own. so to keep them running we had to keep them running. If they died, it could take awhile to get them fired up again. Today's stuff runs like a car. they just fire up and idle. But old habits are hard to break.

Old 11-24-2009, 09:48 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
My pipes are noisy anyway V&H Longshots ... but if I am beside someone that appears to be annoyed ... yes I will rev my engine. Normally I don't.
So, you have a bike that is intentionally loud....and make it louder if anyone is bothered by it. Something to remember the next time some person whips out their cell phone in a movie or at the table next to yours and starts talking loudly into it. And remember, if you complain....they should just talk LOUDER to **** you off.

Southpark nailed this one one the head.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:10 AM

83 posts, read 228,430 times
most people that i know does it to prevent from stalling including myself...
but i know there are people thinks it's cool...

Old 11-24-2009, 11:41 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cksean View Post
most people that i know does it to prevent from stalling including myself...
but i know there are people thinks it's cool...
I still find this wierd because well...revving your engine is sorta "racing related" and Harleys in particular are known for already being the loudest and frankly a bit slow. I know speed is not the point of Harley's but from my point of view, having a Harley revving it's engine at a light is like seeing someone off-roading in a mini-van.

If someone on a hog does that to me, I'm going to rev back and rattle their dentures.

Old 11-24-2009, 12:07 PM

83 posts, read 228,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I still find this wierd because well...revving your engine is sorta "racing related" and Harleys in particular are known for already being the loudest and frankly a bit slow. I know speed is not the point of Harley's but from my point of view, having a Harley revving it's engine at a light is like seeing someone off-roading in a mini-van.

If someone on a hog does that to me, I'm going to rev back and rattle their dentures.
please understand that not everyone does it to annoy you...
an older carbureted bikes have problems stalling in cold...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles