Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 11:26 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,173,926 times

Advertisements

My 26-year-old Honda V65 Sabre requires a few minutes' warm-up, but the choke control takes care of that, giving it a rich faster idle. I adjust it down as it warms. It isn't happy if I rev it on top of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2010, 12:24 PM

18,453 posts, read 15,234,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
AMD, This seems odd, but my memory ain't to great either, but if you give the throttle grip a hard look just ahead, where the controlls are, underneath there just might be a set screw, or a sort of thumb screw, which is a sort of throttle lock many vintage bikes had. It might just be set to leave the throttle where it is and then can be adjusted to spring back, even if there is push pull cables.
Nah. I have spent a lot of time memorizing the manual and on the antique motorcycle forums lately. The 70 and earlier XLCHs and K models are all like this. The manual says nothing about a set screw or throttle lock. But I will take a close look, just to satisfy my curiosity. Thanks though.

Old 02-27-2010, 01:49 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,173,926 times
I know that some old bikes had those throttle locks, but I don't know which ones. They were somewhat like a 'Vista Cruise' or similar add-on friction lock, except that the latter can be quickly disabled, an important safety feature.

Old 02-27-2010, 06:53 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,954,062 times
My old 650 bonnie and BSA's did. A simple thumb screw under the grip holder. You could set it to drag and stay. Not a great set up, but it could work sort of.

There is everything here of a 1960 sporty EXCEPT the engine tranny combo, but i haven't looked to see. These parts are all in boxes in a dusty dark shop loft. The story why the engine is missing is just sad.

These are not like Vista Cruise, no lever. I have most of a vista cruise on my Nomad right now. The parts missing I didn't want, which were the big ugly black clamp and the rod that holds that clamp to the devise. I gave that to someone else long ago who broke his clamp I guess. I don't really know, but I didn't want those parts in the first place.

If there is anything at all then there could be a screw.

Old 02-28-2010, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post

If there is anything at all then there could be a screw.
I checked. No screw or anything else that might adjust the throttle. These guys on the classic/antique forums refer to them as suicide throttles, and as I said, in all my reading I have not come across anything about throttle adjustment. I think it is what it is. It is actually very easy to get used to, and even helpful in certain situations, like I mentioned before with the cold engine at red lights. It keeps me from having to rev.

I have been messing around with the idle, hoping it would help, but my idle adjustments dont seem to be helping too much. I figured it would kick easier and not stall so easily with a higher idle adjustment. Turning the screw seems to do little to nothing.

Old 02-28-2010, 06:22 AM

2,497 posts, read 7,474,051 times
This bothers me too. I understand maybe rev on start up so it don't die, but 99% of the time these big kids just need the attention their parents never gave them. I like the bumper sticker "Loud Pipes Save Lives".....usually the same morons are not wearing helmets Anyway, here's a video you may enjoy.

YouTube - South Park - RUMNUMNUMNUM!!

Old 02-28-2010, 06:54 AM

1,837 posts, read 4,352,413 times
I find that a lot of Harley riders love to get on the throttle and make a lot of racket . The fact that most of them have straight pipes with no baffles makes it worse . I love bikes and have owned a few . I never felt it nescessary to show my ass and annoy the rest of the world .

Old 02-28-2010, 07:01 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,166,713 times
I will say that is is somewhat necessary to at let let a bike idle for a few minutes to warm up. Even brand new bikes can be quite cold-hearted if you try to just fire 'em up and go. For this reason, I've gone back and forth as to whether to leave the silencer in the aftermarket exhaust I have on my bike. I really LOVE the way it sounds uncorked; the silencers make it sound like it's basically stock. Still, I do leave early in the morning on many occasions and I do need to let the bike idle for a couple of minutes before I take off. To be considerate, I park the bike so the exhaust points into the garage and don't get on it 'til I'm out of the neighborhood. No complaints yet.

Mike

Old 02-28-2010, 07:29 AM

2,360 posts, read 5,244,284 times
I have a 64 FLH and the throttle has to be physically shut down. Never really had to rev the motor when starting. Stock exhaust,pretty quiet old bike. Used to leave early for work, no complaints.

Old 02-28-2010, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
I have a 64 FLH and the throttle has to be physically shut down. Never really had to rev the motor when starting. Stock exhaust,pretty quiet old bike. Used to leave early for work, no complaints.
Do you run a tillotson?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles