U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-02-2010, 11:28 PM

2,770 posts, read 3,894,156 times

Advertisements

I live in Nebraska. Our State legislature is thinking about repealing the mandatory helmet law for riders over 21. The subject of insurance has came up. I am wondering how much MORE motorcycle insurance costs in a State that does NOT have a helmet law versus a state like Nebraska that does have one.

My 2006 Vulcan 900 with the 500,000/500,000 liability, $50,000 Medical and a $500 deductible on collision and comprehensive plus uninsured and under insured costs me $232 annually. I am a 63 year old Male with no accidents or tickets in over 30 years plus a MSF class in the past two years for a ten % discount.

How does that $232.00 annually compare to say Iowa? Any other states with no helmet law?

GL2
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 06:10 AM

33,807 posts, read 29,265,714 times
I live in New Hampshire where there is no mandatory helmet law for adults but they are mandatory for anyone under 18. IIRC compared with the rest of New England we have a higher motorcycle accident incidence and fatality rate. We also have the highest registration rate.

I have noticed that the riders on the big Harley cruisers are the most likely to ride without a helmet while the riders of foreign cruisers tend to wear helmets. I also note the wannabe road racers on the high powered sports bikes always wear helmets.

My own preference is to wear a helmet because it makes me feel safer in the event of a get off at speed. I think wearing a helmet is good idea but I also do not think it should be mandatory.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I live in New Hampshire where there is no mandatory helmet law for adults but they are mandatory for anyone under 18. IIRC compared with the rest of New England we have a higher motorcycle accident incidence and fatality rate. We also have the highest registration rate.

I have noticed that the riders on the big Harley cruisers are the most likely to ride without a helmet while the riders of foreign cruisers tend to wear helmets. I also note the wannabe road racers on the high powered sports bikes always wear helmets.

My own preference is to wear a helmet because it makes me feel safer in the event of a get off at speed. I think wearing a helmet is good idea but I also do not think it should be mandatory.
Greg W,
I also wear a helmet and will continue doing so even if the helmet law is repealed. The one exception is on those hot , humid summer days when the temperatures are above 95 and I have to make a short run across town. I am convinced that a helmet is a danger in conditions like that. It would be nice if I was the one allowed to make the decision when to wear it.

I posted the original link to get an idea how insurance rates compare on similar vehicles in states with NO HELMET laws versus those here in Nebraska. What kind of bike to you ride in NH? How do your rates compare to those I pay on my 2006 Vulcan 900 here in Nebraska?
T.I.A,
GL2

Old 02-03-2010, 06:03 PM

1,499 posts, read 2,106,828 times
Florida has no helmet law, but if we ride without 1 we are supposed to carry a million dollar medical rider. Something to that effect anyway. I dont carry the million in coverage, I wear a helmet most of the time. Sometimes I just dont feel like wearing one and the way I see it, if I go down do I really want to be alive after the wreck ? I have lost 11 freinds since 2002 in bike wrecks, another is a vegetable and he wore a helmet, if he didnt wear 1 that afternoon his misery would have ended. Ride safe my freinds

Old 02-03-2010, 08:25 PM

4,174 posts, read 4,854,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Winter View Post
Florida has no helmet law, but if we ride without 1 we are supposed to carry a million dollar medical rider. Something to that effect anyway. I dont carry the million in coverage, I wear a helmet most of the time. Sometimes I just dont feel like wearing one and the way I see it, if I go down do I really want to be alive after the wreck ? I have lost 11 freinds since 2002 in bike wrecks, another is a vegetable and he wore a helmet, if he didnt wear 1 that afternoon his misery would have ended. Ride safe my freinds
That's insane. You have lost almost 2 friends per year? I always thought the guys down in FL are crazy riding with no helmets around all those old people who can barely see over the dash of their huge cars, but 11 friends in 8 years is astonishing. My condolences.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:38 PM

Hot rodding motorcycles and cars has been a huge part of my recreational activities for close to fifty years. Then when you consider I drove trucks for close to thirty years I have had a lot of friends die in vehicle accidents. Farm equipment accidents killed a few also. Things with wheels on them can be hazardous to your health.

GL2

Old 02-27-2010, 05:08 PM

265 posts, read 276,339 times
New Mexico does not require a helmet, unless the rider is under 18. I pay about $8 per month for $25K liability insurance on a Vulcan 800.

Old 02-27-2010, 07:35 PM

19,127 posts, read 11,629,874 times
I too live in NH. The insurance question can't be dealt with well since it will vary from bike type, age, stated use and etc. Also what you buy for insurance can add, such as my 06 Kawii nomad is insured for $1,000.00 over value, because i added more than that in accessories. I have a very low deductable too.

So far I have never dropped this bike, but never the less ruined the ft fender hitting a jeep, that hit a moose last August 3rd. The fender was under the raised bumper, and when the moose rolled off the jeep the fender got crunched.

Someone lent me a carpenters hammer to pry the fender off the tire, and my wife and I rode the bike home and for the rest of the season. If I can't come up with the jingle I may ride it that way this season too. The bloomin paint to fix it costs more than a fender in paint!... The other option is fix the fender and paint it and the rest of the bike in something else. I haven't decided yet.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:05 AM

33,807 posts, read 29,265,714 times
MUZ - paint a bandage on the bent part with cheap rattle can paint.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:24 AM

19,127 posts, read 11,629,874 times
I put a big band aid on it as the "Brake for Moose" logo...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles