U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 01:28 AM

708 posts, read 1,670,652 times

Advertisements

Is it even possible for someone to "live" on a motorcycle the way people now live in there cars?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2010, 01:54 AM

139 posts, read 394,542 times
well, i suppose the nearest thing i could come up with,is the english delivery man who had a honda vfr 800 some years back.He was driving all year around.And had a milage on a bike you probably never see again.

Old 03-27-2010, 11:32 AM

19,127 posts, read 11,602,838 times
Is it possible, yeah it is. You gotta be a roughneck to pull it off well though. The bike will end up looking like a "Rat Bike".

That means all sorts of clutter and junk hanging off. You can likey search Rat bike on google to see what I mean.

1 man , 1 tent, 1 sleeping bag, 1 spoon, and a guy could be set for a long time with tin cans to cook with on the engine or over a fire...

Old 03-28-2010, 11:03 PM

Nice, wonder where you would park to set up tent? At a local camp ground or a bit off road into the distance away from people. With just fuel and food cost you could make do with only $350/month. Depending if you stay on 1 place for more than a day and enjoy the sites and not on the road using up a ton of gas. Could save up a small fortune of 10K and go out in the world to test your endurance.

Old 03-28-2010, 11:14 PM

2,178 posts, read 5,111,493 times
Check out Pashnit.com. Search for "homeless and on the road".

Old 03-29-2010, 11:02 AM

Last time I went to look over Pashnit.com., you had to be a paid member. Has that changed?

I did ride the USA both ways and then some in 05 into 06 10 months on the road with my wife. We had a 01 Nomad and a trailer IT pulled, for most of that.

Went from NH to Cal making 9,000 miles to do it, then from Cal to Fla, making 6,000 miles, then from FLA to Ok, and hung in Arkansas a while. In AR we bought a conversion van and a big trailer, and the bike trailer was never used again.

Winter was the problem, so the van was a better rolling bed room with more room for cooking. From Ar we went to the south east Tn, Ky and Ga mainly. In all we passed thru 40 states, spending as much or as little time as we pleased.

I work in silver, and so could sit in a camp ground a few days and make items to sell.

I don't see how anyone will get cash wealth, but I guess ...

Old 03-29-2010, 11:11 AM

2,748 posts, read 5,129,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Is it possible, yeah it is. You gotta be a roughneck to pull it off well though. The bike will end up looking like a "Rat Bike".

That means all sorts of clutter and junk hanging off. You can likey search Rat bike on google to see what I mean.

1 man , 1 tent, 1 sleeping bag, 1 spoon, and a guy could be set for a long time with tin cans to cook with on the engine or over a fire...
I think "guy" is an operative word here. I used to think of this as a Mad Max survivalist fantasy, but no more!

Rat Bike Zone: Ratbikes, Survivalbikes, Low Budget Choppers, Trikes, Streetfighters, Custom Bikes, Matt Black

Old 03-29-2010, 01:35 PM

Not to sure about what guy means to you. To me it more or less means a man, but can include women, who are not girly girl women. Little things like getting a shower every day out on a bike don't happen. Not unless it is raining anyway. Making 400+ miles in a day leaves a rider pretty grubby. If you sweat, road grim gathers on your flesh, where ever flesh is exposed. The grime will get inside a full face helm too, up your sleeves and into your gloves.

Your hair gets mashed and most women just don't deal with over a long span of time.

I checked the link... Not cleaning, if it means not checking out the bike everyday, or each time you plan to ride it, isn't happening. You don't have to keep the bike bright, but it is a wise idea to check out old paint shaker, and make sure most things won't fall off, which tends to happen a lot. More or less most bikes tend to vibrate more than cars do, and this either shakes parts loose, or breaks them.

This isn't as likely on say a beemer, or a Wing, but it still happens.

Rat bikes are as old as bikes.. Nothing new... Like the car thread with a car/airplane, that ain't new. And like my 1981 xs850sh triple, that idea wasn't new in 81 and it still isn't today, but when 30 somethings see that bike they think it is a new proto type, and for some reason the ciggy butt lighter really sends em, as does the kick starter.

Don't ask me why? I sure don't know.

'IF' I could get parts for that bike on the asking, I would ride it full time, but I can't, so I can't just run it willey nilly as I please. A break down in Spring could end that bikes whole season, while I chase parts. Nothing appears to be breaking, but then I can't see every part. I have been very deep in the engine and at everything else surface wise. But it took a while to get a clean exhaust and a new clutch pack.

I discovered the part numbers have been re-used, for other yammi parts too.

That's weird. You need a part, have a dealer as old or older than the bike, and they look up a number and come back with a part that isn't close to what you want.

Old 03-29-2010, 02:42 PM

Wonder if there is any blogs by bikers of living off the road? Be interesting to try

Old 03-29-2010, 08:01 PM

On occasions I have read blogs like that, but these folks rend to be moiving fast, and don't have time to do more than eat, gas up ride and sleep. Over the 10 months we were on the road it was that way. We have verison cell and it didn't work in a lot of places either.

A friend of mine from Kiwi land went across one way with a ATT cell and it worked less.

My wife and I hit on a few libraries here and they to maintan some limited contact, bit over all we may as well been underground..

No one would have known at all but I made a lot of noise before we were committed, and i was the head mod at mcusa. Same name over there as here, but I stepped down from the job, pretty much and go by macmac there now mostly.

Most of what I wrote is still there in archives now, from spring 05 to June 06 whjen ge got back. We are in slow last editing of a book, but I can't say when it will really be done. This iwas more a tour than trying to live that way, and I have no ambition to live that way. We already did 3 full years living off the land in the backwoods in a tee pee. Thats enough I don't mind living in a box too much.

No power, no stores no money, nuthin modern man did made any difference.. Knowing I can do that again is all I need to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles