Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2010, 01:35 PM

404 posts, read 1,549,734 times

Advertisements

Anyone with any experience here? Pros and cons of a trike?

I am signing up for a course (MSF) when time permits, but never having ridden a bike before I came across an interesting fact in my online research into bike riding. And that is in my state (Cali) if a person is licensed to drive a passenger car, a person is licensed to ride / drive / operate a trike. The trike is registered as a motorcycle, and insured the same. And all laws and privilages apply such as carpool lanes, parking spots, etc. But its legal to ride with a good 'ol Class C (passenger car) license.

Looks like I can get one of these for under $3,000 and get started right away, being I have been licensed to ride one for years!!

What should I know about riding a trike? I am sure all the safety precautions and road awareness applies as usual, so a classroom safety course is desirable. But otherwise what am I to expect of the riding experience and skill level required?

I mean this is exciting news to me. I am licensed to ride one, so should I just go out and get one?

Hmm...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 07:45 PM

660 posts, read 1,645,405 times
Well, you have to actually STEER a trike (unlike a motorcycle). They also require more room in corners so you don't want to be riding side-by-side with a motorcycle around corners. You will need to corner slower (body english doesn't work) since they can flop over and eject you.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:11 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,251,126 times
Hmm. I've never been a fan of the "delta" style (one wheel in front, two in back).

The rake and trail geometry of a motorcycle is made for handling like a single track vehicle, which turns not by pointing the front wheel in a certain direction but by using the rounded profile of the tires to induce a tendency to travel in a certain arc. The way you use the rounded profile is by leaning, and the way you initiate a lean is by handlebar input, but the steering is called countersteering for a reason.

A four-wheeled vehicle turns in a completely differnet way.

A delta trike tries to turn like a four-wheeled vehicle but with the steering geometry of a motorcycle. And the result is less than graceful. Did you know there was once a ten-year ban on the sale of delta trikes in the US?

I'd be a lot more likely to ride a "tadpole" style trike (two wheels in front, one in rear) such as the T-Rex or Can-Am. These turn like a car with a differential steering rack.

Me, I love being on two wheels. I love the way a motorcycle turns. But I also love things with engines -- ATVs, snowmobiles, PWCs, or bikes. So I wouldn't mind trying out that trike.

Take the course *first* and then see what you think -- that's my advice.

Old 06-09-2010, 12:06 AM

404 posts, read 1,549,734 times
thanks guys

i will be taking my MSF course and considering all my options. i have read some more about trikes verses motorcycles, pro and con since i posted this. it would seem some bike riders don't like trikes and consider them less stable and harder to handle. yet others say thats not true, you just can't operate them like a bike. it seems if you learn how to ride a motorcycle first (like most people) a trike just seems unnecessary. yet older riders and disabled riders switch from two wheels to three, which would seem to suggest they are more stable and easier to handle if ridden and operated carefully

no more weaving in and out of traffic, no more fast, hard cornering, and no more leaning the bike to the ground. it would seem a trike is made for upright, strait line cruising and taking it easy around corners. try doing what you would do on a motorcycle, and you're in for big trouble. so for many motorcyclist it just seems unsafe and not fun because its NOT a two wheeler. but for some riders who are willing to adapt out of necessity, they say its great, stable, and safe when operated like a trike, and not a two wheeler

the bike above is a chinese bike. they seem to be the only country with manufacturers who make factory built / kit trikes. don't look now...but i'm about to make a chinese bike thread!!

Old 06-11-2010, 12:34 PM

41,478 posts, read 59,594,003 times
Be afraid. Be very afraid! That thing looks to unstable (narrow rear track) to stand up on its own.

Get a used mid size motorcycle and take the course.

Old 06-12-2010, 08:00 AM

14 posts, read 32,035 times
For me the only value of a trike? They don't fall over when you forget to put down your stand. Lol

Old 06-12-2010, 09:03 AM

660 posts, read 1,645,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Gear View Post
For me the only value of a trike? They don't fall over when you forget to put down your stand. Lol

I guess then a trike may have saved me from a very embarrassing moment once a few years back when I was traveling on the NY Thruway....

I pulled up at a toll booth to pay my toll and just happened to put my foot down on the area where cars and trucks had dripped oil, grease, and diesel fuel. The rubbery sole of my boot hit that and I may as well been on ice skates. As my foot went laterally, the bike slowly started towards the ground. I fought it, but couldn't get any traction and the bike ended up on it's side. To add insult to injury, cars behind me began blowing their horns!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles