Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 10:35 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,929,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecypher5413 View Post
Does anyone know if it's based on a book?
Apparently it's based on an original idea from Nolan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 02:11 PM

891 posts, read 2,450,519 times
The reviews overall have been great. many saying it is the best movie they have seen in several years. Even the critics that don't like it, admit it is well done, but hard to follow.

I cannot wait to see it. This summer is the worst summer I can remember as far as movies are concerned, just horrible, so I love when a completely original movie comes out

Old 07-15-2010, 07:23 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,929,780 times
NY Times review:

Movie Review - 'Inception' - Decoding the Mind in Christopher Nolan’s Thriller - NYTimes.com

Prolly better to just go and see the thing.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:06 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,151,683 times
I saw it tonight. Worst movie I've seen in years. Walked out after about forty minutes. Completely confusing. Was so bad.

Old 07-16-2010, 11:38 PM

3,804 posts, read 9,323,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
I saw it tonight. Worst movie I've seen in years. Walked out after about forty minutes. Completely confusing. Was so bad.
Sorry to hear about your inability to grasp exposition.

I saw the film at noon today and was completely blown away. I haven't heard applause like that in a movie theater in my life.

This film is beyond amazing.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:00 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,029,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfhtex View Post

I saw the film at noon today and was completely blown away. I haven't heard applause like that in a movie theater in my life.

EXCELLENT FILM. Pure & Utter genius. The plot in & of itself was fantastic & truly original. It's def. worthwhile. Yes, it can be confusing but the details are what made it soooo great in my opinion. It's not a film that caters to just anyone that's for sure. Probably the best film of the summer in my opinion.

Old 07-17-2010, 01:14 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Just saw this movie today. All flash and no central plot worth mentioning. I give it a C- and I'm surprised at Leonardo DiCaprio. He's usually much better at picking good movies to be in. I defy you to finish this one sentence after seeing the movie. Inception is a story about (fill in the blank). When the plot is disjointed, I'm never sure if the problem is the script or the editing.

Most of the actors are recognizable (the woman from Public Enemies is the adult female and the girl from Juno is the throw-in young person so they could sell this movie in the summer). I recognized Tom Berenger, Cillian Murphy (not looking as weird as usual), Lukas Haas, Michael Caine, Ken Wantanabe and the used-to-be kid from Third Rock from the Sun whose last name is something Levitt.

The actors are fine. The effects are fine. The story is a mess.

The director is the guy (Nolan) who did the last 2 Batman movies with Christian Bale and Memento. I kept thinking this movie Inception is more like Batman Begins which I thought was a snooze than The Dark Knight which I thought was terrific.

Old 07-17-2010, 01:53 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,151,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfhtex View Post

It wasn't my inability to grasp. It was the boring, let's continually beat you over the head with the same point all movie long. Throw in some pretty boring special effects and drag it until your begging someone to pull your eyes out. I guess everyone has different things that they like. I don't want to hang on to every sentence when I watch a movie expecting some great twist, when all they were really doing is recycling the same boring thesis over and over. I go to a movie to relax and enjoy. If I wanted mental masturbation, I would have stayed home and played chess. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy suspense and a great thriller like anyone else, but this movie bored me to tears. And was not great in any regard. I get it, they wanted Leo to go into someone elses dream and make them want something that they didn't. Wow, that was simple. But lets explain that all movie long. And while were at it, will overexplain it to the point of confusion because if you have to hear something put a hundred different ways, sooner or later you get exhausted to the point of confusion. To the point in which you would rather cut your own throat than watch any more of it. It was god awful. After you understood the point, it was like who cares? Got the point after oh about the first twenty minutes and what was the point of the rest of the movie? I personally am not one for special effects and such. So movies like this don't impress me. I will take a good script over a multi-million dollar made movie anyday. But that's just me.

But feel free to insult me if it makes you feel better. We have different tastes in movies, not a big deal. Im not one for sci-fi, star trek, big blockbusters. I did like Shutter Island. Now to me, that was a good movie. I agree with the last poster. I was surprised at Leo, usually he picks good movies. This movie was so boring it was painful. Me and the lady joked that we should rent it some day if we ever need to be put to sleep. By the way, I don't know what movie theatre you were in, but the one I was in was about half as many people as what it was when it ended, or atleast our forty minute ending. We weren't the only people to walk out. And maybe you mistook those claps for gratitude that it was over. Maybe in your jest, you misunderstood what other people were clapping about. Or maybe Leo entered your dream and made you think that the movie was great...Hmmm, maybe we'll never know...

But at the end of the day, who really cares? It's just a movie and your not worth insulting because you and I have different tastes in movies. Some might think it was the best movie ever written, others (like myself and my girl) will think it was one of the worst movies that we have ever seen. I haven't walked out of a movie since,....ever. I think that was my first time.

I think this quote sums it up, "The actors are fine. The effects are fine. The story is a mess." I couldn't have said it any better, thank you Laura. Simple and to the point.
And I agree with everything you said, I expected better choices from Leo. He's why I saw the movie, cause he usually picks good scripts. Everybody messes up some times.

Last edited by supermanpansy; 07-17-2010 at 02:16 PM..

Old 07-17-2010, 03:19 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,734,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
It wasn't my inability to grasp. It was the boring, let's continually beat you over the head with the same point all movie long. Throw in some pretty boring special effects and drag it until your begging someone to pull your eyes out. I guess everyone has different things that they like. I don't want to hang on to every sentence when I watch a movie expecting some great twist, when all they were really doing is recycling the same boring thesis over and over. I go to a movie to relax and enjoy. If I wanted mental masturbation, I would have stayed home and played chess. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy suspense and a great thriller like anyone else, but this movie bored me to tears. And was not great in any regard. I get it, they wanted Leo to go into someone elses dream and make them want something that they didn't. Wow, that was simple. But lets explain that all movie long. And while were at it, will overexplain it to the point of confusion because if you have to hear something put a hundred different ways, sooner or later you get exhausted to the point of confusion. To the point in which you would rather cut your own throat than watch any more of it. It was god awful. After you understood the point, it was like who cares? Got the point after oh about the first twenty minutes and what was the point of the rest of the movie? I personally am not one for special effects and such. So movies like this don't impress me. I will take a good script over a multi-million dollar made movie anyday. But that's just me.

But feel free to insult me if it makes you feel better. We have different tastes in movies, not a big deal. Im not one for sci-fi, star trek, big blockbusters. I did like Shutter Island. Now to me, that was a good movie. I agree with the last poster. I was surprised at Leo, usually he picks good movies. This movie was so boring it was painful. Me and the lady joked that we should rent it some day if we ever need to be put to sleep. By the way, I don't know what movie theatre you were in, but the one I was in was about half as many people as what it was when it ended, or atleast our forty minute ending. We weren't the only people to walk out. And maybe you mistook those claps for gratitude that it was over. Maybe in your jest, you misunderstood what other people were clapping about. Or maybe Leo entered your dream and made you think that the movie was great...Hmmm, maybe we'll never know...

But at the end of the day, who really cares? It's just a movie and your not worth insulting because you and I have different tastes in movies. Some might think it was the best movie ever written, others (like myself and my girl) will think it was one of the worst movies that we have ever seen. I haven't walked out of a movie since,....ever. I think that was my first time.

I think this quote sums it up, "The actors are fine. The effects are fine. The story is a mess." I couldn't have said it any better, thank you Laura. Simple and to the point.
And I agree with everything you said, I expected better choices from Leo. He's why I saw the movie, cause he usually picks good scripts. Everybody messes up some times.
Thank you for writing down exactly my opinion about this movie. My husband & I watched it last night and we couldn't wait for the movie to finally end so we finally could get to the point.

This movie made me think of 'The Matrix'. When it came out, everyone was raving about how brilliant, how original, etc..etc... At least The Matrix has great plot & storyline and the Wakoswki brothers (hope I spelled the name right) spend just enough time in the beginning to explain the idea and then move on to the storyline. With The Inception, it's almost as if Christopher Nolan was doubting his audiences the whole time (do you get the idea? You sure you get the idea? Really, really sure? OK, just to be safe, I'll explain this to you again, o you little brained audiences ONE MORE TIME).

The idea maybe brilliant, but the delivery failed miserably IMO. I want my money back!

Old 07-17-2010, 04:32 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacq63 View Post
Normally I wouldn't bother with a movie like this because of the heavy use of special effects. But I trust DiCaprios' movie choices, so I'll try and get over my fear of the big screen and go and see it. I've heard it described as a 'thinking persons blockbuster.' The idea and plotline are intriguing to say the least.
That's a snow job. it makes you afraid to say the story is a mess for fear of being labeled 'not intelligent." In other words, it's your fault you don't get it. Don't buy that bs. I always laugh at Bravo for saying their audience is smart when shows like The Real Housewives From A Lot of Places is about as "smart" as Jerry Springer's show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies