Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 11:33 AM

23,559 posts, read 70,077,656 times

Advertisements

I had hopes for this movie. Then I saw it.

SPOILERS AHEAD (If the film can be spoiled more than it already is)

This is supposedly a film about the underground and spies in WWII. I didn't realize that it was a requirement for every spy or military agent to always be freshly showered, shaved, or have impeccable make-up, no matter what the situation unless breaking into a jail. Never any five-o-clock shadow, so sign of fatigue even in the worst of circumstances.

Of course, to go with the neat appearance, even in wartime your linen shirts must be absolutely white, have no sign of any type of stains, and not even a stitch out of place, much less the tiniest of tears or signs of wear. When you go into the desert and a sandstorm for some nookie and come back, your car is miraculously perfectly clean with no sand on it.

Those who would spy on you must peek from behind curtains in high windows and be obvious enough about it that you see them - repeatedly. When married men go on a roof after "making love to their wives" only Brad Pitt gets to go on the roof.

The kid you send out for information on a raid, who is scared he is going to die might as well be wearing the red starfleet uniform that signified on away teams in Star Trek that this was the crew member destined to die.

The smiling nanny and intellectual type are the characteristic German spies. The doomed spy wife shoots herself in the head so that her husband can live, and his CO covers for him. Yeah, right.

The operation to tell whether his wife is a spy requires him, as her husband, to be in on it and write a message that she finds. If she sends it, she is a spy. Of course no one thinks that he might F***ing CHANGE the message if he was in league with her. The doofus head of the mysterious section stupid breaks dozens of protocols.

The planes he flies never are challenged in the air either by England or Germany, and the one is so obviously a set piece that it all most falls apart being dragged across scene.

To add insult to injury, the book Pitt reads in bed is a John Grisham book, shown prominently to give credit within the film, even though he wasn't born until 1955.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2016, 03:25 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,260,770 times
Thank you.

Old 12-05-2016, 05:06 PM

9,510 posts, read 16,426,360 times
I saw it today and I liked it. Though I would of liked to know, why she was a spy for Germany.

Old 12-05-2016, 05:09 PM

9,510 posts, read 16,426,360 times
I saw the movie today. For the most part I enjoyed the film.

Old 12-07-2016, 04:10 AM

3,110 posts, read 1,979,624 times
Thumbs up Allied--no spoilers

I guess in the tradition of the two Dr. Strange threads, I'm going to start a second Allied thread because I really loved this movie.

Also, no offense intended, but I think that the OP of the other Allied thread over thought this movie, and in doing so spoiled it for other people who may have liked this film. Therefore, if you are looking forward to going to see this film, I would recommend that you not read the other thread.

Also, this film was not what I expected. That is, the complicated spy story with a complicated plot. But instead, there's a sort of simplicity that is weaved throughout this film. Therefore, you should go where this film is taking you... and follow the story to what this film is really about.

Also, for those who don't know, talented film director Robert Zemeckis directed this movie.

Old 12-07-2016, 04:14 AM

And one more thing. For those who post in this thread, please use spoiler tags when needed.

Old 12-07-2016, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
The operation to tell whether his wife is a spy requires him, as her husband, to be in on it and write a message that she finds. If she sends it, she is a spy. Of course no one thinks that he might F***ing CHANGE the message if he was in league with her.
But what difference would that have made? Because the test involved her passing on 'made up' information to the Nazis. Therefore, there was no 'right' information that Pitt could have given her if he was in league with her.

Quote:
To add insult to injury, the book Pitt reads in bed is a John Grisham book, shown prominently to give credit within the film, even though he wasn't born until 1955.
Well, I didn't notice that.

Old 12-07-2016, 04:48 AM

Quote:
I had hopes for this movie. Then I saw it.

SPOILERS AHEAD (If the film can be spoiled more than it already is)

This is supposedly a film about the underground and spies in WWII. I didn't realize that it was a requirement for every spy or military agent to always be freshly showered, shaved...
But to the outside world, for a good part of the movie, Pitt played a French businessman who owned a phosphate company. Therefore, what other type of image should he have had?

Quote:
When you go into the desert and a sandstorm for some nookie and come back, your car is miraculously perfectly clean with no sand on it.
But when did the movie show their car after the sandstorm?

Quote:
When married men go on a roof after "making love to their wives" only Brad Pitt gets to go on the roof.
But I thought that Cotillard told Pitt that that was the tradition for married men in Morroco.

Old 12-07-2016, 04:58 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,260,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I saw it today and I liked it. Though I would of liked to know, why she was a spy for Germany.
And I would like to know why you just wrecked it for me...
that is what "Show/Hide" is for above...or a warning.

Old 12-07-2016, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
And I would like to know why you just wrecked it for me...
that is what "Show/Hide" is for above...or a warning.
Actually, Miss Hepburn... that one little question that Jimrob1 asked doesn't spoil anything. However, if you read the OP, all that information would spoil the movie for you big time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies