Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2010, 07:53 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,262,001 times

Advertisements

the unforgivable variety.

i can think of several just from the Star Wars Movies alone. on the new (I-III) episodes, i dont know whether to call them plot holes or just heavy handed, hack writting by George Lucas in how there are so many unnecessary connections to the older films - like how Chewbacca knew Yoda, and Darth Vader built C3PO...and R2D2, i think? i suppose that by the later episodes, these characters caught amnesia or something.

but my favorite movie plot hole (that i can think of right now) is in fact from Star Wars - Return of the Jedi, and it is this:

General Solo

that's right. General Han Solo.

let's examine this. so, in episode IV, he is a smuggler, contracted by Obi Wan Kenobi to smuggle two passengers to Alderon.

by episode V, he has been paid for his services, and is enroute to pay Jaba the Hut, at that point, still a civilian. but he is captured by a bounty hunter, and turned into a block of ice.

in episode VI, he is thawed out, rescued, and awarded the rank of General *slaps hands together* just like that! i think his buddy, Lando was a general too - also a civilian in the previous episode. so, does the Rebel Alliance hand out General's rank like candy or what!? i mean you can wake up from a coma and have stars slapped on your collar like it's nothing.

George Lucas is a hack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 06:10 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,213,642 times
That doesn't bother me as much as some. While not the worst by far, the most recent thing of this variety jumped out at me immediately when I finally got around to seeing "I Am Legend" for the first time over the weekend. So Will Smith's character has been all by himself in NYC for years yet he still has electricity and running water?

Old 06-22-2010, 06:20 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,263,704 times
The Matrix didn't have plot holes so much as plot caverns.

Old 06-22-2010, 06:22 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,839,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
That doesn't bother me as much as some. While not the worst by far, the most recent thing of this variety jumped out at me immediately when I finally got around to seeing "I Am Legend" for the first time over the weekend. So Will Smith's character has been all by himself in NYC for years yet he still has electricity and running water?
He had a generator I remember that much. Not sure about the water deal, possibly a rooftop tank? That would make it a gravity feed so it COULD run out of the taps.

Old 06-22-2010, 07:38 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,612,994 times
If General Solo was the worst plot hole or hackneyed trick in the series, then the prequels would have been almost watchable!

I've always wondered about "end of civilization" movies. How long would electricity last? It would have to go on for at least a little while on its own, I would think.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:23 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,839,560 times
I remember them saying in "Life after People" that most energy grids would go down pretty fast (as in days), but that the turbines that run off Hoover Dam could last quite a long time (relatively speaking).

Of course most end of days scenarios assume there are still people around who are capable of figuring out how to run generators etc.

Old 07-20-2010, 01:42 PM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
Well, they showed the generators in his house. As far as the water's concerned, I don't know...

Old 07-20-2010, 01:55 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,677,220 times
yeah he had a generator. You can power your own generators. Its easy if you have the know how and tools. As far as running water is concerned that is easy too. Water lines run to your house, they decrease in diameter as they get closer to your house and build up pressure. If he had a tank or a well somewhere above it would create running water just like in real life :P Its not that far fetched. I know you guys are all like, wow skel is really smart. Yes I am but I also know how to google stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies