Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 09:28 PM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
"Back to the Future II" (1989) is set in 2015 and it predicted rehydrating ovens that can cook a tiny pizza into a full size pizza in 5 seconds, videoconferencing, full length motion pictures in 3D, hoverboards, flying cars, freeways in the sky, leashes that can walk a dog by itself, television you can wear over your eyes like eyeglasses, a weather service that can actually control weather not just predict it, and Miami winning the World Series.
So, I ask you, where is the old Hollywood visionary that predicted a self-cleaning toilet in my lifetime?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 09:32 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,837,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soupson1 View Post
2001: A Space Odyssey. Released in 1968.As measured and bleak as the technology seemed at the time, it was a work of strange optimism. The movie nailed the feel of space travel, and its eventual commercialization, in a way that still resonates today.2001's prediction that one day flying to an orbital space station would require zero training or preperation is gradually coming true.Artificial Intelligence however has been a major disappointment.Until more efficient propulsion systems can be developed, none of the spaceward jaunts in the film are possible.Also videophones are not in high demand now and probably never will be.If getting to the fourth rock from the sun seems like the biggest challange of the century imagine planning a trip to Jupiter.
Hal says I am putting myself to the fullest possible use,which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.
SO2001 was, like most of Clarke's work (and that of a few others of the "old school") rooted in the hard science they actually knew - so it's not surprising those particular stories have proved to be pretty spot on.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:01 PM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
SO2001 was, like most of Clarke's work (and that of a few others of the "old school") rooted in the hard science they actually knew - so it's not surprising those particular stories have proved to be pretty spot on.
In the case of Soylent Green, and I suspect many other movies about the future based on books or short stories, it's the visual image of the movie that jumps out at you as being so horribly wrong or right. Soylent Green, is based on the book Make Room! Make Room! by famous sci-fi author Harry Harrison. Although I don't know for sure, I doubt that Harrison described his characters' hairstyles, clothes, cars and computer games in his book. That's all on Hollywood's movie people to go out on a limb and visualize the imagery of the future.

I think of George Orwell's 1984 and the movie 1984 (John Hurt, Richard Burton) and lately, it has occured to me that he might not have been wrong about Big Brother. There are so many technological advances and law changes where being watched all the time by street cameras, cameras in domestic unmanned aerial vehichles (drones), warrantless wiretaps and searches, full body scanners, government intrusion into private lives, economic decline, forever wars, rewriting history, etc., that the only thing Orwell got wrong was he undershot the year and that 1984 maybe should have been called 2020. I'll have to take a look at that movie, again. It was released in 1984 so it would be hard to say that the look of the movie was wrong.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:20 PM

8,479 posts, read 6,878,349 times
"Things to Come" a British film. Screenplay by HG Wells. Revolved around a future world from 1936 to 2036 and a devastating protracted war. It was very accurate in predicting the strategic bombing campaigns employed against civilians during WW2.

Old 07-22-2010, 04:42 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
And it's amazing how wrong Clarke was on most points.

I remember reading 2001 as a kid, and reading how meat had become a rarity on most American dinner tables, we had a permanent base on the moon, and inter-orbital travel was common.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:56 PM

8,301 posts, read 13,434,842 times
Both are hands down classic and 2 of my all-time favorites:

Forbidden Planet
(1956):

YouTube - "Forbidden Planet" Trailer

Time Machine
(1960):

YouTube - "The Time Machine" Trailer

Old 07-24-2010, 03:23 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,837,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
And it's amazing how wrong Clarke was on most points.

I remember reading 2001 as a kid, and reading how meat had become a rarity on most American dinner tables, we had a permanent base on the moon, and inter-orbital travel was common.
Well I was meaning spot on in the hard science areas....

Old 01-18-2013, 12:29 AM

7,121 posts, read 5,228,525 times
Fahrenheit 451 (1966)

jet-pack travel
"happiness" pills
monorails for public transportation
destruction/abandonment of books for electonic media
large-screen TVs with interactive programs (or programs that only SEEM interactive)

Fahrenheit 451 1966 - YouTube

Old 01-19-2013, 11:53 AM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
Sleeper: the Orgasmatron does not yet exist.
Heh. Check out Youtube for "sperm collector" - be sure to read the parking meter comment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies