Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 06:45 PM

24,606 posts, read 55,914,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linson View Post
yeah, Sound of Music was a horrible example. a lot of people, myself included, hate all musicals, Sound of Music included.
What about the songs themselves, I guess you hate them too? Or is it just that you find the idea of musicals corny to start with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 04:54 AM

13,032 posts, read 24,589,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
What about the songs themselves, I guess you hate them too? Or is it just that you find the idea of musicals corny to start with?

I personally dislike the very, very vast majority of musicals ( I basically can only cope with 2) , I find the music somehow really awful and the lyrics never quite seem to fit the rhythm .

I adore Opera ( which is very contrived in terms of plot more often than not , I accept that) and live theatre and was told once by a musician that people who love Opera do tend to find Musicals extremely discordant musically speaking. It seems to be true for me. I find most musicals almost painful to sit through.

I love " My Fair Lady" and greatly enjoyed "Mamma Mia" ( the latter mostly because of the wonderful Greek locations and because I love ABBA - there was an enthusiasm and sense of joy I found difficult to resist in Mamma Mia though I knew it was really quite corny ). I love Shaw's "Pygmalion" and wished the ending of "My Fair Lady" had followed the play but I guess a corny ending was always going to be required by the populace. Audrey Hepburn was sublime in it as were all the other actors though.

"Les Miserables" made me want to leave within about 5 minutes though and I could hear Victor Hugo spinning in his grave at high velocity. As someone who adored the book I felt it was blasphemy .

Also anything by ALW makes we want to throw things. All his musicals seem to follow exactly the same musical blueprint as well as making want to retch....

Old 08-05-2010, 02:57 PM

29,700 posts, read 34,240,753 times
Quote:
I personally dislike the very, very vast majority of musicals ( I basically can only cope with 2) , I find the music somehow really awful and the lyrics never quite seem to fit the rhythm .
I'm 50/50 on musicals. While the idea of folks spreading their feet wide and bursting into song gives me a very visceral negative reaction, there are certain musicals I like (mostly older: Wizard of Oz, Singin in the Rain, Sound of Music.) The one I cannot stand, and I am apparently the only woman in my age group who feels this, is Grease. It makes me want to rip my eyeballs out and cram them in my ears.

Old 08-05-2010, 05:56 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,255,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
i find the idea of musicals corny to begin with. and i hate the songs themselves. i do like the movie, The Wizard of Oz, but i dont care for most of the singing. i liked some Disney animated movies as a kid, but never cared for the singing parts.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:42 PM

311 posts, read 693,109 times
The Star Wars trilogy.Best redemption story ever told and a hell of a heros journey.I would also say The Neverending Story is liked across the board,

Old 08-06-2010, 03:10 AM

23,862 posts, read 71,268,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
So I saw wizard of oz mentioned. So far no one has said they didnt like it. Could this be the thread winner?
Everybody,but me.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:59 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,255,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tired-of-mn View Post
The Star Wars trilogy.Best redemption story ever told and a hell of a heros journey.I would also say The Neverending Story is liked across the board,
wrong and wrong. there are enough people (women) who dont like the Star Wars trilogy. i'd even say that as a child, it was the greatest story ever told, but as an adult, it really doesnt hold up that well - what with the poor acting and bad dialogue.

i personally didnt care for Never Ending Story when i was a kid, and i know plenty of people who are maybe half as cynical as me who also probably wouldnt have anything good to say about it.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:06 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,651,453 times
Mary Poppins. Everyone loved this as a kid

goonies?

Old 08-06-2010, 10:05 AM

41,882 posts, read 74,938,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larkmoni View Post
Car Wash ... ROFLMAO! Just kidding! I don't know why that movie popped in my head.
LMAO ... Who doesn't like Car Wash??

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I am apparently the only woman in my age group who feels this, is Grease. It makes me want to rip my eyeballs out and cram them in my ears.
I hear you on musicals -- there are very few of them where it actually makes sense for people to drop what they're doing to sing and dance. The Sound of Music does OK on that score.

But Grease is in the category of "it's so bad it's fun to watch." Olivia Newton-John playing a teenager is priceless. Seriously, they couldn't find anyone else ... at least five years younger?

Quote:
When I was a kid, I pestered my parents to go see it every time it came to the theater (no doubt my mom was sorry she taught me to read the newspaper ads ...) Now, I'm OK with it if I skip through the "jolly holiday" animated part.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:24 PM

13,032 posts, read 24,589,694 times
Quote:

goonies?
Julie Andrews again... Brrrrrrrrrrr. Not for me. She is just too perky in a really artificial sort of way.

I loved "The Goonies" though. A real kids classic and very much of its time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies