U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 04:39 AM

631 posts, read 780,328 times

Advertisements

Have you noticed that these movies both released in 2009 have lots of things in common. For example, they both talk about a man who turns from one race into another. They both accuse people. They both use this robocop/transformer-like machine in the final part of the movie.

Any ideas who ripped off who and how it happened?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2010, 06:49 AM
B&A

336 posts, read 218,309 times
All movies are starting to sound alike these days. It seems like Hollywood is running out of ideas.

Old 09-05-2010, 10:42 PM

3,552 posts, read 5,411,267 times
Both movies are also thinly veiled social commentary. "Avatar" was about the use of superior military force to invade another country without reason or provocation. "District 9" was about the maltreatment and mistrust of illegal aliens from another planet for no apparent reason other than they look different and have different ways.

Old 09-05-2010, 10:59 PM

3,806 posts, read 5,035,862 times
Neither ripped the other off. Avatar as a whole is largely unoriginal. District 9 was a bit more original and added to or changed many of the things it took from sources.

Specifically speaking the man becomes some other creature goes back at least in general terms to The Jungle Book or the Tarzan stories. Now in neither case did the man literally become nonhuman, but he became different from humans in fundamental ways. Far, far before that in the Odyssey we see Odysseus' men literally transformed into pigs. They both accuse people? People are getting accused by the end of the first page of the Bible depending on the font size of your copy. Really this is such a basic aspect of life and fiction as to be unremarkable. It's only slightly better than saying they rip each other off because both have dialogue. As for the machine that goes back in film to Aliens at the very least (directed by James Cameron who directed Avatar) which predates both Robocop and Transformers, and the idea of power armor was fully developed by Robert Heinlein in Starship Troopers which predates Aliens. I'm sure there are examples of things predating those I've given except perhaps for accusations.

Old 09-05-2010, 11:11 PM

3,806 posts, read 5,035,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
"District 9" was about the maltreatment and mistrust of illegal aliens from another planet for no apparent reason other than they look different and have different ways.
The prawns in general didn't seem capable of integrating into human society or even living peacably near it as it was quite clear that almost all of them were incapable of understanding the idea of property. As someone early in the movie says a prawn will take the shoes off your feet if he decides he wants them. We won't tolerate humans who do this so why should prawns be allowed to behave in such a manner? Prawn and human society was so different that most prawns were quite simply incapable of interacting with humans in any normal capacity.

Thus we are provided a case where segregation may well be justified and in the best interest of all parties. The thing is instead of moving the prawns to some wilderness area and allowing them to live freely as prawns without bothering humans or being bothered by humans the South African government knowingly allowed or participated in them being confined in District 9, exploited by gangsters and corporations, and turned into catfood addicts. By Wickus' own words the place the government is relocating the prawns to is "basically a concentration camp."

I do think the message the movie wanted to send was that segregation was bad, but the prawn's behavior does seem to point to segregation being the best solution. The problem is the humans had gone far beyond simply segregating the prawns.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:25 AM

14,693 posts, read 22,583,075 times
I agree with Auburn, Avatar did not rip off District 9. It ripped off Pochantas, Ferngully, Dances with Wolves and about a hundred other movies.

I haven't seen District 9 but from what I have heard the message of the film is much more ambiguous. Avatar definitely had clear cut good and bad guys. I don't get that sense from District 9.

Old 09-07-2010, 01:47 PM

31,385 posts, read 31,257,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
I agree with Auburn, Avatar did not rip off District 9. It ripped off Pochantas, Ferngully, Dances with Wolves and about a hundred other movies.
And;

Lawrence of Arabia, and;

A Man Called Horse, and;

The Last Samurai, and;

And...

As David Brooke's calls it the genre of "The White Messiah".

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/08/opinion/08brooks.html

Old 09-07-2010, 02:17 PM

31,385 posts, read 31,257,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post

I do think the message the movie wanted to send was that segregation was bad, but the prawn's behavior does seem to point to segregation being the best solution. The problem is the humans had gone far beyond simply segregating the prawns.
Considering the movie was written by a South African and filmed there as well, I think that the "message" is a bit more complex than an American centric view point might appreciate.

The irony of South Africa establishing separate "townships" for the aliens based upon the arguments that you outline despite the obvious fact that the aliens possessed technologies far more advance than anything human, certainly wouldn't have been foreign to the first european colonizers to South Africa, was more than interesting. There is also the issue of private security firms which at one time South African lead the world and the desire of the arms manufactures to co-opt the alien weapon systems for their own purposes.

Old 09-11-2010, 05:12 AM

631 posts, read 780,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B&A View Post
All movies are starting to sound alike these days. It seems like Hollywood is running out of ideas.
This time it was not a mere coincidence. I'm sure either Blomkamp or Cameroon knew the script of Avatar/District 9 before making a movie.

Quote:
Both movies are also thinly veiled social commentary.
Exactly, yet I'd remove the word 'thinly'. It was the main and quite plain essence of both movies.

Quote:
"District 9" was about the maltreatment and mistrust of illegal aliens from another planet for no apparent reason other than they look different and have different ways.
Apartheid intended. So literally they were not aliens from another planet.

Quote:
Neither ripped the other off.
Really? Just a coincidence that two most successful and mind-boggling sci-fi movies released in a row have that much things in common?

Quote:
District 9 was a bit more original and added to or changed many of the things it took from sources.
A bit? First off, it was innovative. Nobody talked about apartheid before.

Quote:
Avatar as a whole is largely unoriginal.
Can you list some top-notch mainstream sci-fi movies, where white people are accused of their deeds against other human races?

Quote:
Far, far before that in the Odyssey we see Odysseus' men
literally transformed into pigs. They both accuse people? People are getting accused by the end of the first page of the Bible depending on the font size of your copy. Really this is such a basic aspect of life and fiction as to be unremarkable. It's only slightly better than saying they rip each other off because both have dialogue. .
You're completely off the topic. I'd like to recommend you to re-watch the both movies. Though I'm not sure it will help, if you have already made such weird comparisons and conclusions.

Quote:
As for the machine that goes back in film to Aliens at the very least (directed by James Cameron who directed Avatar) which predates both Robocop and Transformers, and the idea of power armor was fully developed by Robert Heinlein in Starship Troopers which predates Aliens. I'm sure there are examples of things predating those I've given except perhaps for accusations.
That machine appears in the both most successful sci-fi movies released in 2009 right in the final battle scene. Mere coincidence? I don't think so.

Quote:
Avatar did not rip off District 9.
I didn't state that it did. I just asked. It might be that District 9 ripped off some ideas from Avatar. Though it might be vice versa.

Quote:
I haven't seen District 9 but from what I have heard the message of the film is much more ambiguous. Avatar definitely had clear cut good and bad guys. I don't get that sense from District 9.
True.

Old 09-11-2010, 10:05 AM

14,693 posts, read 22,583,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Origin of Symmetry View Post

I didn't state that it did. I just asked. It might be that District 9 ripped off some ideas from Avatar. Though it might be vice versa.

True.
You kind of did. Your quote is:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Origin of Symmetry View Post
Any ideas who ripped off who and how it happened?
Perhaps my reading comprehension skills have diminished with my advancing age but I am unsure how else your question could be interpreted.

At any rate, JC wrote most of Avatar in the 90's and D9 is based on a short story from 2005, I think it is clear that if one film indeed did rip off ideas from another that D9 must be the culprit. Unless James Cameron traveled to the future via a time machine, that is. Which is entirely possible given the amount of money he now has.

Hopefully this puts to rest the question of who ripped off whom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies