Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 01:17 AM

2,408 posts, read 14,392,665 times

Advertisements

I only ever saw him on Three's Company so I can't attest for his dramatic acting chops nor his comedy outside of that show, but for what it's worth, I wasn't impressed by him on Three's Company. He overacted like mad. I actually thought he was the weakest actor on that show.

But whatever, just my two cents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2007, 06:38 AM

177 posts, read 613,905 times
I have noticed that a lot of comedians seem to transition better to doing more serious roles than those who tend to be more theatrical doing comedy.

Some may disagree, but I was somewhat amazed at the range of acting WIll Farrell did in Stranger Than Fiction. I think it's almost natural for "good" comedians to be able to convey characters to the audience. And isn't that what acting is about? Not taking anything away from actors who are dramatical, that's an art as well.

But I agree, John Ritter was genius...I think it was too bad he got limited to the show Three's Company. Although good, I don't think he was fully realized as an actor/comedian.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:01 PM

7,121 posts, read 5,229,871 times
To me, he was a "so-so" actor. He did better at drama. I just didn't care for "Three's Company" at all because of its tackiness. I never watched his other series; I think there were two others. The only role that stands out for me is the one on "Buffy the Vampire Slayer", and he seemed the same as he always does: sort of a neutral actor, neither all that bad but certainly not all that good~just fair. I don't think he was a "comic genius". He was in feature films but never fared well except if it was a bit part as in "The Other" (1972).

I was never a fan. I never went out of my way to see anything he was in; I just happened to view it.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:23 AM

147 posts, read 228,984 times
I was and am a fan of "Three's Company," for the light, everyday humor, stuff that makes you laugh and reminds you not to take life too seriously. I see the essence of his acting when I see Kaley Cuoco on TV as well because they were working together early in her career. I don't know if it is just my perception. Child actors tend to take on the facial expressions and skills of the experienced actors that they work with, like Dakota Fanning and Michelle Pfeiffer or Shia LeBeof and Harrison Ford.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:59 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,130,732 times
I miss John! He had much talent but came across as a likable, regular guy. The kind of guy you could sit and have beers with. He was capable of drama as well and I think he would have done more serious roles as he got older, like Jeff Bridges standout role in Crazy heart.

Old 02-05-2013, 03:11 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,651,685 times
I liked him--I agree with above poster, a kind of guy you could sit down and have a a cup of coffee with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies