Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2010, 05:31 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,997,649 times

Advertisements

It's a stretch, maybe cynical. but is it possible that Douglas postponed the revelation of his cancer as free publicity for his starring role in Wall St 2?
I always notice that movie stars' names and talk show appearances start just a few weeks before the release of their new movie to boost attendance.
I think that most of Hollywood are just pure money hores. You never hear or see about many of them until it's time to go see one of their often lame flicks at the box office.

Last edited by wehotex; 09-20-2010 at 06:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 05:46 PM

10 posts, read 38,444 times
I don't think it was originally deliberately conceived as a strategy but I admit that while I admired his evident strength/ vitality under these circumstances, it did also cross my mind that night. I don't generally watch the late night commentary/ talk programs (xcept Craig Ferguson who is really surprisingly perceptive or mischevious in enjoyable proportions) ...but I was pretty much tuned in strongly as that interview with M. Douglas got going. These days film releases and associated marketing are developed weeks and months in advance.

Perhaps once he began treatments and they were going successfully, he and his doctors thought "Well, it could also seem encouraging as showing people not to be intimidated by the first mention of the c***** word and so do that medical area/ patients some good" ....in other words, as they saw how his treatment progressed, they perhaps saw its mention as a win (film industry) win (cancer patients). Probably M. Douglas told the network he would participate/ guest during the film's release, DEPENDENT on his medical vitality or exhaustion.

Old 09-20-2010, 05:50 PM

232 posts, read 676,376 times
I doubt it was specifically planned that way, but I wouldn't be surprised if he postponed it until just the right moment, and it just worked out to add some extra publicity.

Old 09-20-2010, 06:20 PM

1,995 posts, read 3,376,742 times
Well of course their appearances start a few weeks before the release - that's probably part of their contract. I don't see anything wrong with that and no, I don't think he revealed his cancer just at the right moment to get free publicity for his movie.

Old 09-23-2010, 06:07 AM

51,691 posts, read 15,692,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandhillian View Post
Well of course their appearances start a few weeks before the release - that's probably part of their contract. I don't see anything wrong with that and no, I don't think he revealed his cancer just at the right moment to get free publicity for his movie.
I agree.

Old 09-23-2010, 06:18 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,591,053 times
I didn't read any crass motive into the timing. If anything, he'd probably prefer to protect his privacy as far as his health is concerned. With the movie and required appearances, though, it was bound to come out. My guess is that they waited as long as they could and then revealed his news on his own terms and timing instead of letting it leak out as rumor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies