Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 08:47 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,153,734 times

Advertisements

Last time I went to the movies some goober sat in front of me wearing a very large hat; I asked him to remove it and he refused, and then grumped about it for the rest of the movie. By the time the film was over, everyone around him had moved to the other side of the theater.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2007, 07:40 PM

484 posts, read 1,944,175 times
I'd rather watch DVDs than go to a theater, but I married a movie buff. I'm lucky enough to live in a area with a lot of independent theaters. The crowds there behave much better than the crowds at the chain theaters. They're there to watch the film, not talk. If a film isn't in at an indie theatre, I'll wait for the DVD.

The last time I went to the movies, I saw Spiderman 3 at a chain theater. The movie was okay, but between the people who brought a baby and a 3-year-old to a 9:30 show, and the people behind us who would not shut up, it was a miserable experience. We ended up moving halfway through.

One thing I can't stand is people who don't speak English bringing "translators" to the movies. DVDs usually have Spanish, French, and Portuguese subtitles.

Three years ago, a local paper had a story about bad movie behavior. The best story was from a theater manager, about a woman who refused to take her screaming kid out of "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon." He told her that he was going to give a refund to everyone in the theater, except her.

I do like the little clip the movie theater by us does now. Right before the previews roll after all the commercials a blank screen comes up and all of a sudden you hear a baby crying. It sounds real and the first time you hear it you start looking for the baby. Then another one starts crying, then a phone rings, then another phone rings then people start talking till all of a sudden they say, "please be considerate" or something along those lines and to turn off cellphones or to silence them and to be quiet.

I've seen fake previews just like that. A cell phone rings, the characters look around, and someone points and said "It's in the back row!" Other ads had a baby crying instead.

A few weeks ago we went w/o the kids to an adult movie and the people behind us had the whole family w/ them. The kids were WAY too young to see the movie (mine are older and it was not for them either and I did not take them).

When "8 Mile" came out, the Boston Globe had a report by a woman who took her 10- and 12-year-old kids to see it. An ex-coworker bragged about bringing her 12-year-old son to see "Get Rich or Die Trying." A very sanctimonious Christian ex-coworker always talked about the TV shows and movies she wouldn't let her 13-year-old son watch. Yet she took him to see "The Passion of the Christ," which was extremely violent.

Last edited by Hatless Wonder; 07-06-2007 at 07:47 PM.. Reason: More infomation

Old 07-07-2007, 07:40 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,011,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatless Wonder View Post

A very sanctimonious Christian ex-coworker always talked about the TV shows and movies she wouldn't let her 13-year-old son watch. Yet she took him to see "The Passion of the Christ," which was extremely violent.
Yeah, that reminds me of acquaintances of ours when our kids were in 4th grade: they let their kid see The Matrix multiple times, but were shocked that I let my kid see Shakespeare in Love.
In American entertainment, gun violence bests naked boobies every time.
During the first Lord of the Rings, we sat next to a 4 or 5 year old who was terrified of those horrible Orcs. Poor kid.

Old 07-07-2007, 02:03 PM

484 posts, read 1,944,175 times
According to my ex-coworker, her son got very upset during "Passion", but she wouldn't let him leave because "this is about Jesus!".

Old 07-08-2007, 01:07 AM

2,433 posts, read 6,676,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter View Post
Saw 1408 yesterday...seemed pretty good, but I can't really tell you how good b/c I couldn't concentrate on the movie. 2 people wheeled babies in strollers into the theater...and as babies often do, they cried. not sure what was louder, though, the crying, or the moronic mothers constantly telling them to "SHHHHHHHHH".

Then, a lady on my row answered her cell phone. That's always nice.

Two girls sitting directly behind me carried on a conversation the entire time. They were doing "play by play" of the happenings on the screen. When a guy climbs onto a ledge to get out of the room, I don't need someone behind me telling me that "he's getting out of there". Thanks, but I have 2 eyes.

Young teenagers may be the worst of all though. They travel in groups and the young boys always try to impress the girls by making noises and talking.

Yep, I"m done. Not going back.

I hate all that as well. So I usually don't go and see a movie until its been out for a month or two. The theater is usually thinned out by then.

Old 07-08-2007, 04:32 PM

378 posts, read 1,203,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
Cil, that is too funny. As children we were scared to death of the ushers. Actually, I still feared the wrath of the usher why my son and I attended movies together. After they instituted the rule about buying candy from the theater concession stand, we used to sneak our treats in hoping the usher wouldn't notice. LOL
Funny!!!

We still do sneak it in, though it is rare when we go to a movie!

Old 07-08-2007, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Last time I went to the movies some goober sat in front of me wearing a very large hat; I asked him to remove it and he refused, and then grumped about it for the rest of the movie. By the time the film was over, everyone around him had moved to the other side of the theater.
Goober? Why does that just say it all???

Old 07-08-2007, 04:55 PM

165 posts, read 555,257 times
These days you have to sneak your candy in. By the time you pay the Ten doller ticket, the 4.50 candy bar and the 4.50 drink. Youv'e spent twenty Dollers. 20 dollers that couldv'e been used for beer at the bar or the party you were going to after the movie.

Old 07-08-2007, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter View Post
Back in December, I was in line for tickets to Rocky Balboa and a group of 13 year olds were behind me in line making all kinds of noise and just acting like complete idiots. Of course, they also were seeing Rocky...and they sat behind me. They talked all through the previews, so I got up and moved away from them.

They then talked for the first 5 minutes of the movie...and I became completely enraged. I turned and screamed "SHUT UP" in the most menacing voice I could muster....this did the trick, but I think it scared everyone else in the theater that was minding their own business. I'm a quiet, reserved person, but I had just reached my boiling point. My heart is beating faster as I'm typing this...just thinking about it.
Yeah!!! You and Clark Kent! You go, Splinter!

Old 07-08-2007, 05:39 PM

165 posts, read 555,257 times
Ayo !!!! Those Kids were a bunch of Kuntucky Fried Bums who are Mentally erragular and Punchy. So Yo !!! What you think of my movie ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies