Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 06:44 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,190,613 times

Advertisements

I liked Ben Affleck's performance in Chasing Amy (1997), then again I think most actors 'act' better outside the big Hollywood blockbuster movies.
Or maybe it is because the stories in those movies are of a better quality.

The most overrayed 'actors' in my book are Steven Seagal, Jean-Claude Van Damme and Sylvestor Stallone.
Although, to be honest, they are more Hollywood action-stars instead of actors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 07:04 AM

620 posts, read 1,768,746 times
Keanu Reeves! As for Julia Roberts, I never even thought about her being over-rated, but now that some of you have mentioned it...I tend to agree. I'm so ashamed though because I actually like Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie.

Old 01-21-2008, 09:58 AM

4,720 posts, read 15,564,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Samadhi View Post
Keanu Reeves! As for Julia Roberts, I never even thought about her being over-rated, but now that some of you have mentioned it...I tend to agree. I'm so ashamed though because I actually like Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie.
Dont be ashamed. I like them too. They are actually doing GOOD in the world. Keanu is not much of an actor, but he is certainly entertaining to look at !!! And Roberts, she is the same in every movie.

Old 01-21-2008, 10:15 AM

13,032 posts, read 24,562,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
I liked Ben Affleck's performance in Chasing Amy (1997), then again I think most actors 'act' better outside the big Hollywood blockbuster movies.
Or maybe it is because the stories in those movies are of a better quality.

The most overrayed 'actors' in my book are Steven Seagal, Jean-Claude Van Damme and Sylvestor Stallone.
Although, to be honest, they are more Hollywood action-stars instead of actors.
I agree and I would add Arnie to that category. As you say, not sure acting is what they're doing though ! Having one single expression and line delivery a chimp would embarrassed of is certainly pretty awful.

Mind you there some pretty terrible actors out there. Keira Knightley and Orlando Bloom make my mind go numb with tedium for example. And people like Daniel Radcliffe, Eddy Murphy, Sienna Miller,William Shatner, and many thousands more...

It never ceases to amaze me how people with the acting abilities of planks make it to world celebrity and become multi-millionaires...

I think Hollywood sadly tends to confuse good-looks and toned bodies with acting abilities and talent. Some of the best actors I have seen ( some on the stage) would never get a chance because their physique just isn't "plastic-ey" and fake enough.It's real sad and an indictment on our looks obsessed society.

It makes me cringe to see actors who basically have one very limited range and yet adored and worshipped where ever they go.

Old 01-21-2008, 11:16 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,170,241 times
IMO the following actors are overrated,

Julia Roberts (very)

Reese Witherspoon

Renee Zeilwegger

Jack Black

Brad Pitt

Mark Wahlberg

Ben Stiller

Natalie Portman

Vince Vaughn (I find him hilarious, but he basically plays the same guy, and when he's tried to play different types of roles he's mostly been horrible)

Jack Nicholson (slightly)

Sean Penn (slightly)

Kevin Spacey (slightly)

Benicio Del Toro (a little)

These are underrated,

Edward Norton

Clive Owen

Gael Garcia-Bernal

Wood Harris

Viggo Mortensen

John Cusack

Ron Livingston

James Spader

Gene Hackman

I'm sure there are more for both categories, but can't think of more right now.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 01-21-2008 at 11:51 AM..

Old 01-21-2008, 01:16 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,147,378 times
Catherine Zeta Jones

She is THE most beautiful woman in the world

But, a terrible actress IMO

Old 01-21-2008, 03:40 PM

1,703 posts, read 3,861,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
IMO the following actors are overrated,

Julia Roberts (very) - She was good before they started overpaying her

Reese Witherspoon Are you crazy??? She's Awesome!

Renee Zeilwegger Love her as Bridget Jones but that's it

Jack Black

Brad Pitt

Mark Wahlberg - I think he is actually really good! Shooter was great!

Ben Stiller

Natalie Portman

Vince Vaughn (I find him hilarious, but he basically plays the same guy, and when he's tried to play different types of roles he's mostly been horrible)

Jack Nicholson (slightly) Easily one of the best actors, period!

Sean Penn (slightly)

Kevin Spacey (slightly)

Benicio Del Toro (a little) Totally agree here...you can't understand him enough for him to be good

These are underrated,

Edward Norton Phenomenal in American History X and that one with Richard Gere

Clive Owen Don't get his appeal at all

Gael Garcia-Bernal Who is this?

Wood Harris Who is this?

Viggo Mortensen

John Cusack Love him!

Ron Livingston

James Spader

Gene Hackman I don't like most of his characters, but he is great!

I'm sure there are more for both categories, but can't think of more right now.

In addition to those above, I agree with Tom Cruise to an extent and Zeta-Jones (she is NOT the most beautiful woman in the world, Jolie is by far!). I would add Helen Mirren, Gwenth Paltrow, Nicole Kidman. I know there are more but can't think right now. Denzel is one of the best out there.

Old 01-21-2008, 03:54 PM

620 posts, read 1,768,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Benicio Del Toro (a little)

OMG, how did I miss this? You've cut me deep lol! I so love BDT, he's most definitely one of my favorites.

Old 01-21-2008, 04:35 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,853,109 times
You know who is overrated? Actors in any period piece movie who speak whith an english accent. You ever notice how every single year in both male and female acting categories there is always someon nominated from one of these types of films?

Lets take Helen Mirren, Judi Dench and Kate Winslet and have them act in a movie where they have to speak in "American english" and see how well they can act.

Old 01-21-2008, 04:42 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,853,109 times
Keanu Reeves - waaay overrated. Has same amount of onscreen charisma as a tree.

Ben Affleck - Terrible actor. Perfect example of producers saying "Lets put a guy in this movie that will get us the female 18-36 demographic. Does not matter if he cant act, he only needs to look good".

Orlando Bloom - See above - Ben Affleck

Jennifer Aniston - I hate her. They keep putting her in movies with hopes of tapping into her "Friends" fan base. She's not a good move actress.

Renee Zellweger - When did she become Asian? Everytime I see her she looks like shes squinting her eyes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies