U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2010, 02:09 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,743,097 times

Advertisements

I watched an old 1954 movie with Charlton Heston called "Secret of the Incas" when it was recently uploaded to YouTube, and...

Color me stunned. There was Indiana Jones in the flesh, right down to the last detail of how he looked and what his character was like. Even some of the storyline paralleled "Raiders of the Lost Ark."

I'm very much in favor of always giving credit where credit is due, especially when script plagiarizing is serious business in Hollywood with all those entertainment industry lawyers circling over the latest big-bucks project -- just in case.

So I got curious and found this article discussing reasons why the Heston film might have been suppressed and out of circulation for the last quarter of a century:

Excerpt: "This particular film was called "Secret of the Incas" and usually isn't discussed too often when analyzing Heston's films. The reason for that is because it's been out of circulation by its owner, Paramount, for years. However, Youtube has clips available, and once you see them--you'll immediately be knocked over with one undeniable aspect Lucas and Spielberg probably don't want you to know: Heston played a character almost identical to iconic Indiana Jones. People who've been lucky to see the film will tell you Heston's character is so startlingly like Indiana Jones in personality and clothing (right on down to the bull whip) that some think that there's been a deliberate suppression of the film from seeing the light of day...for obvious reasons."

Are Steven Spielberg & George Lucas Hiding the Film that Inspired Indiana Jones? - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com

It's one thing to say a filmmaker was INFLUENCED by a prior movie. It's entirely different to see a prior movie STOLEN in its entirety without giving due credit and remuneration to the original screenwriters and producers.

Lucas and Spielberg are icons. Do they have feet of clay here? I personally feel betrayed here since I thought Indiana Jones sprung from their combined creative genius.

If you decide to watch the Heston movie, how does this affect your view of the Indy movies? And of Lucas and Spielberg?

Or is this old news and I just missed the memo?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2010, 03:04 PM

1,657 posts, read 3,879,764 times

Oh, wait....
It's here somewhere in one of my files....
Ah, yes, here is the memo...

"Hollywood is going "Green." Yada, yada, yada,... Recycling will continue to be the an important commitment by Hollywood producers and script writers alike..."
(Well recycling scripts and plots IS recycling, ain't it?)

'Course green in this context has more to do with cash than trees or whatnot, IMHO.

Old 10-23-2010, 03:08 PM

15,636 posts, read 14,689,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecypher5413 View Post
I watched an old 1954 movie with Charlton Heston called "Secret of the Incas" when it was recently uploaded to YouTube, and...

Color me stunned. There was Indiana Jones in the flesh, right down to the last detail of how he looked and what his character was like. Even some of the storyline paralleled "Raiders of the Lost Ark."

I'm very much in favor of always giving credit where credit is due, especially when script plagiarizing is serious business in Hollywood with all those entertainment industry lawyers circling over the latest big-bucks project -- just in case.

So I got curious and found this article discussing reasons why the Heston film might have been suppressed and out of circulation for the last quarter of a century:

Excerpt: "This particular film was called "Secret of the Incas" and usually isn't discussed too often when analyzing Heston's films. The reason for that is because it's been out of circulation by its owner, Paramount, for years. However, Youtube has clips available, and once you see them--you'll immediately be knocked over with one undeniable aspect Lucas and Spielberg probably don't want you to know: Heston played a character almost identical to iconic Indiana Jones. People who've been lucky to see the film will tell you Heston's character is so startlingly like Indiana Jones in personality and clothing (right on down to the bull whip) that some think that there's been a deliberate suppression of the film from seeing the light of day...for obvious reasons."

Are Steven Spielberg & George Lucas Hiding the Film that Inspired Indiana Jones? - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com

It's one thing to say a filmmaker was INFLUENCED by a prior movie. It's entirely different to see a prior movie STOLEN in its entirety without giving due credit and remuneration to the original screenwriters and producers.

Lucas and Spielberg are icons. Do they have feet of clay here? I personally feel betrayed here since I thought Indiana Jones sprung from their combined creative genius.

If you decide to watch the Heston movie, how does this affect your view of the Indy movies? And of Lucas and Spielberg?

Or is this old news and I just missed the memo?

Is that the one with Uma Sumac? She claimed to be some exotic woman from Peru but it was soon discovered that she was from Brooklyn. LOL

Old 10-23-2010, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Is that the one with Uma Sumac? She claimed to be some exotic woman from Peru but it was soon discovered that she was from Brooklyn. LOL
Yeah, that's the one, and check out her name (Yma Sumac) spelled backwards -- sounds like a nice Brooklyn girl to me!

The "Inca" songs in the movie were atonal and equivalent to listening to a cat fight to me, but I can't quibble with her supposed vocal range, which was multi-octave -- from baritone to soprano.

Old 10-23-2010, 04:59 PM

Well, I stand corrected. According to Snopes:

[SIZE=2]"Sumac was indeed from Peru (though the "high priestess" business was just Hollywood hype). She recorded records under a different name (Ima Sumick, IIRC), before moving to Hollywood and getting renamed.

The "Amy Camus" story was evidently made up by a bunch of band members as a joke; Walter Winchell picked it up and broadcast it. The fact that the name she originally recorded under was not an anagram of "Amy Camus" tends to discredit it."

snopes.com: Was Yma Sumac really named Amy Camus? [/SIZE]

Now if I could just find something on Snopes about Lucas and Spielberg and Incas.

Old 10-24-2010, 01:11 PM

3,552 posts, read 5,376,989 times
I wouldn't call that stealing really, leather jackets, fedoras and bullwhips were standard equipment for adventurers in the 40s and 50s

Old 10-25-2010, 09:21 AM

1,900 posts, read 1,679,355 times
Indian Jones didn't pretend to be an original. It was an obvious salute to the movies of yesteryear, so of course it was going to borrow from the movies it payed tribute to.

Old 10-25-2010, 01:44 PM

16,841 posts, read 51,286,023 times
LOL. There are a number of reasons why the films are so popular and familiar. There aren't really a lot of BASIC plotlines that are successful and meet the written and unwritten codes of censorship. There is bound to be repetition. Lucas in particular had HUGE amounts of help from Joseph Campbell, who clued him in to the power of archetypes in story characters. As for the Heston film, there was also the Alain Quartermain (sp?) stuff, "She", the various Edgar Rice Burroughs stories, and so on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or