Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 11:20 AM

126 posts, read 320,482 times

Advertisements

I am a Southern Belle, and I don't understand the way Southern female characters are constantly portrayed in movies.

On one hand, we have the stereotype of the submissive Southern woman. This is the stereotype that I love being associated with. Every Northern guy I have gone on dates with always admits to me that that is one thing inparticular he likes about Southern women. And then when I come on forums like this, it seems to be the common stereotype about us as well.

If this is the case, then why does EVERY Southern female character in EVERY movie get portrayed as a loud mouthed, obnoxious , feminist, man-hating, slutty piece of trash? If a Southern female character isn't portrayed this way fully, then at least one of these "attributes" describes her.

Gone With the Wind: Scarlett O'hara fulfills many mens' fantasies of a Southern Belle, yet she is hardly what I would call feminine and submissive.

Fried Green Tomatoes: That loud-mouthed blonde haired tomboy on there who is the friend of the more calm and feminine brunette that gets beat by her husband, hardly represents women in the South.

Sweet Home Alabama: The main female character on there is so loud mouthed and obnoxious, it disgusts me that this movie has my home state as its centerpiece. I have to give the producers credit though for showing how the people back home in Alabama are disgusted by her lewd behavior she shows after moving back from NYC.

Forrest Gump: We don't even need to discuss the lead female character in this movie. What I have to say about her is pretty obvious. At least Forrest Gump's mother shows redeeming Southern Belle qualities, other than the fact that she sleeps with Forrest's principal to get what she wants.

Norma Rae: Once again, the lead female in this movie needs absolutely no explanation.

Crazy in Alabama: I haven't seen this movie, but the title of it, and the previews tell me enough.

The Blind Side: I think it is sad that the lead female character in this movie actually represents a real live Southern woman who actually exists in real life. I was ready to turn the movie off after watching her boss her husband around as well as slap the butt of a male football coach and proceed to tell him how to coach his football team.

Urban Cowboy: I am almost glad the lead female character in this movie gets slapped around by two different men after acting like a loud mouthed tomboy.

I could go on and on, but I think that is enough for now. It is a wonder to me that the "sweet Southern Belle" stereotype even exists still. Hollywood has done enough to tarnish our image, that is for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 01:02 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,491,257 times
Meh, you could say the same thing about people from any area of the country. Midwesterners portrayed as dumb, New Englanders portrayed as hicks, New Yorkers portrayed as a**holes, the list goes on. Just keep telling yourself that it is only a movie.

Old 11-08-2010, 01:13 PM

23,410 posts, read 36,818,072 times
You do understand these are fictional characters, right?
As far as the whole submissive thing, my Moms family is Southern, not a submissive woman in the whole family.
I wouldnt exactly call submissiveness a Southern trait.

Old 11-08-2010, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Meh, you could say the same thing about people from any area of the country. Midwesterners portrayed as dumb, New Englanders portrayed as hicks, New Yorkers portrayed as a**holes, the list goes on. Just keep telling yourself that it is only a movie.
Many stereotypes have a lot of truth to them as harsh as that sounds. I am even willing to say that about certain funny stereotypes about the South. But the stereotype I complain about above (Southern women in movies portrayed as loud, loose, and feminist) makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. That is my whole point.

Last edited by southerndiver; 11-08-2010 at 01:22 PM..

Old 11-08-2010, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
You do understand these are fictional characters, right?
As far as the whole submissive thing, my Moms family is Southern, not a submissive woman in the whole family.
I wouldnt exactly call submissiveness a Southern trait.
It is a Southern trait whether most of us like that or not. Or at least it is a common stereotype that has a great deal of merit. Just because it doesn't describe your family hardly means anything.

I guess it also depends on how we define submissive. No, most Southern women aren't submissive in the same way Asian women are stereotyped to be. Maybe I should be using another word other than submissive.

But most guys I meet from up North agree unanimously that Southern women tend to be less hostile towards men and less feminist than women elsewhere in the Western world (including Canada and parts of Europe). That just goes without saying.

Old 11-08-2010, 01:17 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,622,468 times
Ahh I get it! Its ok to portray a certain stereotype as long as there is some truth to it because it must apply to the entire race, culture or whatever but when it applies to you its not ok because it makes you angry.

Old 11-08-2010, 01:17 PM

23,410 posts, read 36,818,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerndiver View Post
It is a Southern trait whether you like it or not. Or at least it is a common stereotype that has a great deal of merit. Just because it doesn't describe your family hardly means anything.
Um, its a stereotype....
I cant think of a single Southern woman I know that is submissive.

Old 11-08-2010, 01:18 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,497,515 times
They are portraying Southerners--women too--as white trash.

Old 11-08-2010, 01:23 PM

271 posts, read 353,696 times
the problem is of actesses admitting to be like this

Old 11-08-2010, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
Ahh I get it! Its ok to portray a certain stereotype as long as there is some truth to it because it must apply to the entire race, culture or whatever but when it applies to you its not ok because it makes you angry.
Don't put words in my mouth please. I already said that many stereotypes about the South are true as well. This is just one that doesn't make sense. I don't know if it can even be called a stereotype actually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies