Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 02:13 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
LOL !!! this is laugable .sympathy give one of the greatest actors of the time .
Greatest actors of all time? THAT is laughable. Yea, he had range!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2010, 04:11 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Yes.
It's been many years since I read the Charles Portis book, or saw the first movie version. I too felt that the new one is quite good if not awesome, but still better than the first one because all the elements (screenplay, cinematography, acting) meshed perfectly. It *felt* like the book that I read.

Phonelady, I love John Wayne as much as the next person but I liked that this movie focused more on Mattie's point of view, IMHO she is a very intriguing character. For those who want the John Wayne Show, they'd best stick to the first adaptation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
My wife just flat out hates John Wayne for that bigger than life, over the top macho tough guy schtick he portrayed in most of his movies; all that post WW-II bravado, hollywood patriotism and jingoism. When I was young, a long time ago, all that stuff was very cool with me, but as I've sopped up culture and intelligent thought for 40+ years since then, I now view John Wayne as just another exaggerated caricature. I worked 30 years for the Army, and I've never seen Wayne's sort of sneering braggadocio by the professionals I was fortunate to work with/for. Still, if you want a rousing, flag waving movie, you can't go wrong with "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon" or "The Longest Day" or any number of others.

In this new version of True Grit, I found it very fine entertainment and a great story line. It was kind of sad at the end of the movie to see how the old gun slingers from the wild west had been reduced to circus side show personalities.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-25-2010, 05:47 PM

John Wayne and Ronald Reagan weren't too far apart ... full of myth.

Old 12-25-2010, 11:29 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,370,711 times
I just rewatched the original True Grit and like so many westerns of that time I really liked it. Moviemakers of that time knew one of the appeals of the western was simply showing off the beauty of the western landscape and making it an appealing character of the movie itself.
I think one reason the western died is moviemakers got away from that. They made the western so dark and dreary and depressing and so "realistic" and at the same time took the life out of it.
I will watch this new version at some point just because I like westerns and this is a good story with good characters.
However, I think years from now the original, with John Wayne facing off against Robert Duvall's gang in that meadow, will still be the one remembered as the classic that most people will want to watch again while this new one will be just an interesting remake, but I will have to see it for myself to say for sure.

Old 12-26-2010, 05:09 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Quote:
Check this one out: John Wayne as Ghengis Kahn
At one time I was dismissive of him, but I can't dislike John Wayne.
He was a product of his time (and did display bravery when facing serious illness.)
I just think that people mistake his personality, walk, and distinctive drawl (along with many plum roles) for acting ability.
I recently re-watched Stagecoach and loved it.
But I appreciated the turn that westerns took in later years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
I just rewatched the original True Grit and like so many westerns of that time I really liked it. Moviemakers of that time knew one of the appeals of the western was simply showing off the beauty of the western landscape and making it an appealing character of the movie itself.
I think one reason the western died is moviemakers got away from that. They made the western so dark and dreary and depressing and so "realistic" and at the same time took the life out of it.
I will watch this new version at some point just because I like westerns and this is a good story with good characters.
However, I think years from now the original, with John Wayne facing off against Robert Duvall's gang in that meadow, will still be the one remembered as the classic that most people will want to watch again while this new one will be just an interesting remake, but I will have to see it for myself to say for sure.
During the 70's anti-hero years, westerns took a more cynical tone, reflecting our disillusioned times.

Still, two of my favorite movies of all time are Little Big Man and McCabe and Mrs. Miller, both visually stunning (and full of heart) in their way.

Check out this latest version of True Grit and tell me what you think. As I said earlier, I appreciated the Coens' palette of colors in True Grit, the texture of the bare trees and the campfires and lanterns lighting up the night.

The plot too is on the dark side--but that is how the novel was.
The cavalry doesn't always show up to save the day, and Mattie Ross knows this, as does Rooster Cogburn.

Of course it is all a matter of taste and what one looks for in a film.

Old 12-26-2010, 08:15 AM

I'm thankful that movies no longer glorify the western lifestyle ... sorry, folks, but it was dirty and LAWLESS. Even the so called heros of the day weren't far from being lowlifes themselves.

LOVE LOVE LOVE Little Big Man, one of my alltime favorites. I remember watching Unforgiven for the first time. Wow ... THAT'S a western! Heck, Jim Jarmusch's western, Dead Man, runs circles around most westerns. I appreciate the Eastwood/Leone films .. you want to talk about one of the greatest actors of all time? Eastwood runs circles around Marion. You know, I think what annoys me about John Wayne are the myth builders around him. It's too bad that he just went along with it. I'm sure there was a normal guy and a decent actor in there who wanted to be more than an exploited so called tough guy ... his try at Ghengis Kahn notwithstanding.

The Coen's partnership with the cinematic genius called Roger Deakins will make this picture a great one. He's the one who made you feel freezing cold in Fargo, the one who used sepia tones to invoke the depression of the 1930's in OBWAT ... and the sweltering heat of No Country. Also, his work in The Assassination of Jesse James made that film an instant work of art and another classic western tale. That man is the best at what he does.

Old 12-26-2010, 02:26 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
Ever seen the movie My Favorite Year? Peter O'Toole (playing an actor obviously modeled on Errol Flynn) at one point in the movie cries out, "I'm not an actor! I'M A MOVIE STAR!"

That is John Wayne in a nutshell.

An actor he wasn't. But he was a great movie star. A true Hollywood icon and all that entails -- both good and bad. Still, I've always been more of a Clint Eastwood fan.

Old 12-26-2010, 02:40 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
Quote:
I'm thankful that movies no longer glorify the western lifestyle ... sorry, folks, but it was dirty and LAWLESS. Even the so called heros of the day weren't far from being lowlifes themselves.
Very true, but the Western of cinema was never about reality. It was myth, and the tone and theme of the myth was always a reflection of times in which it was made. In the post-War era of the ’40s and ’50s, the Western was about heroes, and John Wayne personified that like no other.

But in the post-Vietnam era of the ’60s and ’70s the Western took on the role of the anti-hero in the Sergio Leone films, The Outlaw Josey Wales, The Wild Bunch, or went the de-constructionist route of Little Big Man (one of my all-time favorite movies).

I’m not quite sure why Westerns are not in vogue like they used to be. I don’t think the Western is dead. Just when all the experts start saying it is, movies like Unforgiven or Tombstone come out and prove them wrong.

Old 12-26-2010, 03:07 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,312,432 times
I have never been a fan of John Wayne but thinking about it he was very good in three movies, IMO. The Searchers, The High and the Mighty, and True Grit.

It would be hard to beat the original True Grit. But, if anyone can do it it would be Jeff Bridges. The previews look really good. I look forward to seeing it.

Thinking about reruns I would have bet money that The Long, Hot Summer with Paul Newman could never be bettered. I was so surprised that Don Johnson was even better in the remake than Newman was in the original.

So, I try not to second guess remakes. There are some real beuts out there. True Grit just might be one of them. I remember that the book was fabulous and that is why I saw the original movie.

Old 12-27-2010, 10:23 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,419,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
My wife just flat out hates John Wayne for that bigger than life, over the top macho tough guy schtick he portrayed in most of his movies; all that post WW-II bravado, hollywood patriotism and jingoism.
I don't care for John Wayne for the same reasons. Ironic that he never even served in the military during WW II, considering how many times he played the tough-guy-Army-dude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies