Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 06:26 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,508,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
I guess I'm to much of a Basil Rathbone traditionalist to wrap my head around Robert Downey Jr. as Sherlock. I like it that the Sherlock stories are sturdy enough to play to a new audience but the liberties that have been taken to keep it 'fresh" are simply to much for me. I see Sir Arthur rolling in his grave.

The new Sherlock Holmes is not entertaining to me at all. How disappointing.........
I am a Rathbone purist myself. However, Rathbone never did much of the things on a physical level that I've always heard Holmes was capable of. I love how they show how his mind works ....his powers of observation.

I have officially made room for Downey next to Rathbone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 08:27 AM

31,943 posts, read 34,477,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
Every hero needs tragedy. That's why I think she's dead. And the fact that Moriarty did it, makes it better. This movie was even better than the first! Just saw it last night!
I don't think she's dead. It was too undramatic. I heard that McAdams didn't want to do the second movie and that Guy Ritchie essentially had to twist her arm to get those two scenes out of her. I think Ritchie designed it be sort of open-ended; remember, we're really just taking Moriarty's word that she's dead. I wouldn't be surprised if she becomes a major focal point in the third movie.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:41 AM

8,263 posts, read 13,350,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
I guess I'm to much of a Basil Rathbone traditionalist to wrap my head around Robert Downey Jr. as Sherlock. I like it that the Sherlock stories are sturdy enough to play to a new audience but the liberties that have been taken to keep it 'fresh" are simply to much for me. I see Sir Arthur rolling in his grave.

The new Sherlock Holmes is not entertaining to me at all. How disappointing.........
I felt the same way when I saw this movie. It was almost like they were trying too hard to outdo the first one that this one became a huge commotion of special effects with not much of the old school SH style and substance I expected. Robert Downey's SH seems like a mischievous clown with good observation skills. How he always sees the entire fight moves ahead and how they get executed to the last detail, is far from plausible in my book.

Old 12-29-2011, 06:12 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,680,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
It was almost like they were trying too hard to outdo the first one that this one became a huge commotion of special effects with not much of the old school SH style and substance I expected.
I totally agree. Although I enjoyed the film, I felt some seems were overwrought. I did find it very silly that all of them, heroes and villains, were not obliterated when the large mortar hit them. Or that is was used with such precision in the first place along with total disdain for the people chasing them.

Quote:
How he always sees the entire fight moves ahead and how they get executed to the last detail, is far from plausible in my book.
Yeah, they took that too far.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:46 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,641,560 times
Good movie on an intellectual scale but the movie falls short for me since I was expecting more action like the first movie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies