U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-17-2011, 10:38 AM
 
2,179 posts, read 1,652,160 times
Reputation: 2542
Default 20 Must See Movies

Of any era, any genre, and for whatever reasons..

On The Waterfront
It's a Wonderful Life
Mystic River
Raging Bull
Dog Day Afternoon

Sophie's Choice
American Beauty
From Here to Eternity
The Verdict
Godfather II

Easy Rider
Taxi Driver
State of Grace
The Graduate
Ordinary People

In the Heat of the Night
Unforgiven
The Big Lebowski
The Big Chill
Angels with Dirty Faces
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-17-2011, 10:44 AM
 
Location: Maine
8,153 posts, read 10,580,592 times
Reputation: 6748
A good list. Personally, I think The Big Chill, American Beauty, and Raging Bull are over-rated. Good movies, yes, but they wouldn't make my "best of" list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2011, 10:47 AM
 
2,179 posts, read 1,652,160 times
Reputation: 2542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
A good list. Personally, I think The Big Chill, American Beauty, and Raging Bull are over-rated. Good movies, yes, but they wouldn't make my "best of" list.
The Big Chill, I'll give you. I'll confess to a weakness for reunion flicks. Come to think of it, I do have a bias for the other two as well. Raging Bull, believe it or not, reminds me of a part of my childhood, and American Beauty, well, I am a middle age guy who glorifies his youth; thank God the only women I have a yen for are legal!!

I might throw in a few Bogart classics. Treasure of the Sierra Madre, Maltese Falcon, and instead of The Big Chill, how 'bout The Big Sleep?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2011, 10:53 AM
 
Location: New England
914 posts, read 960,573 times
Reputation: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Humble View Post
Of any era, any genre, and for whatever reasons..

On The Waterfront
It's a Wonderful Life
Mystic River
Raging Bull
Dog Day Afternoon

Sophie's Choice
American Beauty
From Here to Eternity
The Verdict
Godfather II

Easy Rider
Taxi Driver
State of Grace
The Graduate
Ordinary People

In the Heat of the Night
Unforgiven
The Big Lebowski
The Big Chill
Angels with Dirty Faces

Amelie
What the Bleep Do We Know?
Waking Life
The Devil and Daniel Johnston
American Splendor
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2011, 10:59 AM
 
2,179 posts, read 1,652,160 times
Reputation: 2542
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuteishungry View Post
Amelie
What the Bleep Do We Know?
Waking Life
The Devil and Daniel Johnston
American Splendor
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Great choices, haven't seen the first two though. Eternal Sunshine blew me away. Jim Carey to me is one of those guys that can do anything. Like Robin Williams in that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2011, 04:31 PM
 
5,428 posts, read 5,755,197 times
Reputation: 5376
Gone With The Wind - on a big screen only

You have some good ones on your list and now their all I can think of! Shouldn't have read it.
Some of your list doesn't do that much for me.
American Beauty - agreed

They aren't great movies but had such a huge impact on my generation of kids - Ol Yeller - oh the sobbing! The Incredible Journey. More sobbing. Even Bambi. We are a family of big animal lovers

2001 Space Odyssey
Dr. Zhivago - ? maybe
The original Manchurian Candidate - I think I saw this in a big refurbished theater with live music in the 80s - was very impressed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2011, 05:57 PM
 
Location: Maine
8,153 posts, read 10,580,592 times
Reputation: 6748
I can appreciate 2001 as a masterpiece of cinematic art.

As a story? It doesn't work. The pacing is turgid. If Kubrick's theme had been, "Space is cold and quiet and boring" ... mission accomplished. And the ending? Had I not read the book before seeing the movie I would have had no clue what was going on.

Still, HAL is one of the greatest movie villains of all time. You gotta give the movie that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2011, 06:37 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis
1,686 posts, read 889,915 times
Reputation: 2382
Battleship Potemkin
Intolerance
Metropolis
Modern Times
Nosferatu
The Crowd
All Quiet on the Western Front
The Grapes of Wrath
Citizen Kane
Forbidden Games
The Bicycle Thief
Mr Smith Goes to Washington
The Seventh Seal
Seven Samurai
The Best Years of Our Lives
Casablanca
The Night of the Hunter
L'Avventura
2001 A Space Odyssey
Taxi Driver
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2011, 01:53 PM
 
5,428 posts, read 5,755,197 times
Reputation: 5376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I can appreciate 2001 as a masterpiece of cinematic art.

As a story? It doesn't work. The pacing is turgid. If Kubrick's theme had been, "Space is cold and quiet and boring" ... mission accomplished. And the ending? Had I not read the book before seeing the movie I would have had no clue what was going on.

Still, HAL is one of the greatest movie villains of all time. You gotta give the movie that.
I remember the monkey with the bones and the cross to tools and the idea that maybe aliens had helped us make the leap - WOooowowoWoowowoW! Cool Man! It was the 60s and a pretty novel iidea to me at the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2011, 03:57 PM
 
Location: Maine
8,153 posts, read 10,580,592 times
Reputation: 6748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I remember the monkey with the bones and the cross to tools and the idea that maybe aliens had helped us make the leap - WOooowowoWoowowoW! Cool Man! It was the 60s and a pretty novel iidea to me at the time.
The first time some friends of mine sat down to watch that movie, they were all sitting in the room, just staring. My friend Alan's jaw kept getting tighter and tighter. About 20 minutes into the movie he stood up and screamed, "SOMEBODY SAY SOMETHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIING!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top