Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 02:09 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,635,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
wasn't Batman's "fall" at the end of the last movie, when he has to go on the run b/c he takes the blame for Dent's death? at the time of his death, no one outside of Batman and Gordon knew Dent had become Two-Face, so he was still seen as a good guy. this next movie could be Batman trying to win back the public's trust/affection after those events
That's what I've inferred the title to mean. Not a literal rising from physical injury, but a figurative rising to restore his image. In the first film, he talks about how Batman is supposed to be a symbol mean to inspire people to take back their city from criminals. By the end of The Dark Knight, that symbol is tarnished. Since this is the last movie, he has to prove to the public that what he's trying to accomplish is worthwhile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 03:39 PM

1,742 posts, read 6,136,238 times
Aaron Eckhart signed for two movies, so will he be used in this one?

Old 01-31-2011, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Continental View Post
Aaron Eckhart signed for two movies, so will he be used in this one?
Check your facts. This is false. Great thing about the internet. Enough people repeat a lie and before long, everyone starts to report it as fact.

Old 02-01-2011, 02:54 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,226,849 times
Originally Posted by DennyCrane
Quote:
But don't expect it from Nolan.
Why not?
As far as I know Superman and Batman are both part of the DC Universe, unless it was Nolan's plan the entire time to have Batman in a separate Universe.

Quote:
Maybe he thinks that's something for the viewer to decide. Personally, I like that better than having the movie tell me what to think.
Pointing something out and telling viewers something are 2 entirely different things.
For example: in the ending of Alan Moore's The Killing Joke Moore did this by the Joker telling Batman a insightful joke at the end; from this one could conclude that the Joker like Batman isn't insane at all or that Batman is as insane as the Joker.
It is for the reader to decide which is which.

In the movie Nolan only revealed that Batman is no different than the Joker when it comes to using terror as a tactic.

Quote:
The whole back-breaking thing seems contrived, the kind of thing someone would come up because it helps sell comics.
If Bruce Lee's biography is true he got his back broken because he taught Kung Fu to non-Chinese students.
His doctors even stated that Bruce Lee would never walk again.
And yet he did.
Funny how art imitates life.

( or maybe you're right and it is just a ploy to sell books)

Quote:
It might look good for a comic book cover, but it in a live-action movie, it'll look ridiculous, like you're watching a wrestling match.
Then it is a good thing it is a movie directed by Nolan and not the average WWF wrestling match.
There are many 'unspectacular' yet still realistic ways to break someone's back.
And breaking Batman's back fits Bane's MO perfectly, because he also is a brutal wrestler (which means he doesn't care at all for show).

Old 02-01-2011, 07:28 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,368,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I love the 3rd movie, but him playing the Joker was average at best. I actually prefer the more vibrant Joker over the depressed darker one.
I liked them both. They were so different it's hard to compare them. I loved the scene where Jack came in with the radio dancing tho

Old 02-03-2011, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Why not?
As far as I know Superman and Batman are both part of the DC Universe, unless it was Nolan's plan the entire time to have Batman in a separate Universe.
Why not? Because he's said so. That's why not. Do a search for some of his interviews and you'll see that he specifically addresses this point. He doesn't want any fantastical elements. If Superman existed in his Batman world, that would open the door for all the other fantasy elements that he's deliberately omitted.

Quote:
Pointing something out and telling viewers something are 2 entirely different things.
For example: in the ending of Alan Moore's The Killing Joke Moore did this by the Joker telling Batman a insightful joke at the end; from this one could conclude that the Joker like Batman isn't insane at all or that Batman is as insane as the Joker.
It is for the reader to decide which is which.

In the movie Nolan only revealed that Batman is no different than the Joker when it comes to using terror as a tactic.
Sorry, but that's just lazy writing. I don't want a movie to tell me a character is insane. I want them to SHOW me.

Quote:
If Bruce Lee's biography is true he got his back broken because he taught Kung Fu to non-Chinese students.
His doctors even stated that Bruce Lee would never walk again.
And yet he did.
Funny how art imitates life.

( or maybe you're right and it is just a ploy to sell books)
So? What does this prove? Nothing, except that someone can break their back and still recover. That's not the issue. The issue is whether Bane's breaking of Batman's back is gimmicky. To me, it seems pretty obvious what happened. A bunch of writers sat around trying to come up a new villain, something different than what had been done before. Super strong? Already been done. Super smart? Already been done. Breaks the hero's back and paralyzes him? Ooh that's new. We've never seen that before. Take away the fact that Bane broke Batman's back and what's so memorable about him?

Quote:
Then it is a good thing it is a movie directed by Nolan and not the average WWF wrestling match.
There are many 'unspectacular' yet still realistic ways to break someone's back.
And breaking Batman's back fits Bane's MO perfectly, because he also is a brutal wrestler (which means he doesn't care at all for show).
You can try and do it in an unspectacular fashion, but the underlying idea is still ridiculous. It comes across as something that's being done for shock value more than anything else. If anything's clear about Nolan, it's that he's more interested in the psychological aspects of his characters, which is why I think the "breaking of the bat" will be more figurative than literal. To have Batman be seriously injured and then miraculously recover just in the nick of time to save the day would be such a cliche, not to mention disappointing from such an inventive filmmaker. I doubt it would happen, but if Bane ended up killing Batman, that would really make people notice and certainly ensure that this was the final chapter.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:18 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,368,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
but if Bane ended up killing Batman, that would really make people notice and certainly ensure that this was the final chapter.
not necessarily. You know Hollywood hates to kill a cash cow. The death of Bruce Wayne doesn't equate to the death of Batman.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:13 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,226,849 times
Originally Posted by DennyCrane
Quote:
He doesn't want any fantastical elements.
Really no fantastical element whatsoever? Then why bother with making a superhero movie?
A superhero with no fantastical element in it is like a science fiction movie with no element of science in it.
Nolan should've bothered with making a movie about a fictional hero like Zorro or a non-fictional hero like Ghandi and not a superhero like Batman.
Heck, dressing yourself to look like a bat already is a fantastical element.
The whole reason why the criminals fear Batman is because he is perceived as a supernatural creature, which to me is a fantastical element.
Like I've posted before, Batman's one man war on crime in a large city and not losing is further proof of a fantastical element.

Quote:
Sorry, but that's just lazy writing. I don't want a movie to tell me a character is insane. I want them to SHOW me.
LoL dressing up as a bat fighting criminals dressed with their underwear on the outside and who are behaving as erratic like any insane person would isn't proof of insanity?

FYI my proof that the Batman is insane is the fact that he keeps refusing to kill the Joker. In reality any criminal with the body count of the Joker would be considered an extreme menace to society.
And executed, even if he was considered clinically insane.

Quote:
You can try and do it in an unspectacular fashion, but the underlying idea is still ridiculous.
True, Bane would most likely have killed Batman in real life, because in real life the only good enemy is a dead enemy.

But I guess bringing Batman back from the dead would be invoking a fantastical element.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
not necessarily. You know Hollywood hates to kill a cash cow. The death of Bruce Wayne doesn't equate to the death of Batman.
It wouldn't kill the franchise, but it would make it harder for someone to continue this particular series. Whoever took over would probably just start over from the beginning. As we've seen with franchises like James Bond, Star Trek, and Spiderman, Hollywood doesn't have a problem with doing that. The irony is that it was Nolan's Batman Begins that kicked off the whole reboot trend.

Quote:
Really no fantastical element whatsoever? Then why bother with making a superhero movie?
Maybe because that's the kind of movie Nolan wanted to make and maybe because there's an audience for it. Judging by the box office returns for Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, I'd say he was onto something. It sounds to me like you're just upset that Nolan didn't make the kind of movie YOU wanted. Like I said, if you want a more fantastical take on Batman, go find some other director willing to make that movie.

Quote:
Heck, dressing yourself to look like a bat already is a fantastical element. The whole reason why the criminals fear Batman is because he is perceived as a supernatural creature, which to me is a fantastical element. Like I've posted before, Batman's one man war on crime in a large city and not losing is further proof of a fantastical element.
First of all, Batman Begins already addressed why Bruce Wayne dresses up as Batman. There's nothing fantastical in explaining why people do things. Second, the fact that criminals perceive Batman as a creature doesn't make it fantastical. That's like saying a movie about people who believe in a magician's tricks is fantastical. Lastly, if you think Batman's not losing his one-man war on crime, then you obviously didn't watch The Dark Knight. By the end of the movie, Rachel, the person he cared about the most is dead, the "hero" of the movie Harvey Dent is dead, and Batman is wanted for murder. That doesn't sound like someone who's winning.

Quote:
LoL dressing up as a bat fighting criminals dressed with their underwear on the outside and who are behaving as erratic like any insane person would isn't proof of insanity?
First you criticize Nolan for not pointing out that Bruce Wayne is insane and now you say that it does by having him dress up as a bat. Seriously, make up your mind.

Quote:
FYI my proof that the Batman is insane is the fact that he keeps refusing to kill the Joker. In reality any criminal with the body count of the Joker would be considered an extreme menace to society.
And executed, even if he was considered clinically insane.
Really? Being opposed to murder makes you insane? Does that mean we should round up all the people who oppose capital punishment?

Quote:
True, Bane would most likely have killed Batman in real life, because in real life the only good enemy is a dead enemy.
Spoken like someone who's either a Republican or has the intellectual maturity of a 5-year old.

Old 02-04-2011, 03:57 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,746,342 times
Are they filming in Chicago again? We lived right in the middle of the filming area last time and the lights kept us up at night. Although we did get to see the bike/pod before anyone else from our 14th floor window one night as the revving woke us up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies