Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 05:57 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times

Advertisements

Thank you for the warning. That is very kind of you! She's ten, going on 11.

However, there is going to be a parental lock on the device for younger children. Some sort of a dimmer.

A few weeks ago, when Nintendo came out with the warning there was a large sell off of their shares. I was reading about the warning last night and the medical community has said over and over that there really isn't much to worry about and that Nintendo was basically covering their butts, just in case.

http://technology.gather.com/viewArt...81474978954564

Nintendo: 3DS won't harm children's eyes after all

But I am really just fascinated by the technology. This is a GREAT video explaining how they are able to do this without having the user need glasses. It's very understandable and worth watching. He says that hopefully we will expand the technology to tvs, phones and computer monitors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
problem w/ the Nitendo 3DS is, not sure you'd want you're daughter to use it in 3D mode if she's under 6 years old. apparently, eyeball shrinkage may become an issue:

Nintendo warns children not to play new player in 3D | Reuters

the technology isn't there yet at all in terms of no-glass 3-D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2011, 06:04 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,944,148 times
There is no doubt that the technology itself is fascinating and I don't see it ever going away for the theatre experience - until theatre ticket prices go up so much that it ends up turning people away...but I don't see it ever taking off in the home theatre market. There are always early adopters and I know that Sony is probably selling all their 3D TV's but no matter what - you can't mimic the theatre experience at home unless you are a millionare (although I could do without texting during a movie so maybe I do need my own home theatre. )

Old 01-29-2011, 06:09 PM

1,788 posts, read 2,481,813 times
Quote:
My eyes just told me that they are not sold on the safety of that device.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:18 PM

By the way, in that link I do not see anything that mentions eyeball shrinkage.

Quote:
problem w/ the Nitendo 3DS is, not sure you'd want you're daughter to use it in 3D mode if she's under 6 years old. apparently, eyeball shrinkage may become an issue:

Nintendo warns children not to play new player in 3D | Reuters

the technology isn't there yet at all in terms of no-glass 3-D

Old 01-29-2011, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHAdams View Post
My eyes just told me that they are not sold on the safety of that device.
Wink. Wink. Wink.

The No Glasses Needed Stereo 3D Tech is Fake, Yes it is a Fake… - 3D Vision Blog

Old 01-29-2011, 07:56 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,734,265 times
I saw Tron at the theaters. Great movie. But it was in 3D... barely. Unless its IMAX its totally pointless. I saw the Last Airbender in 3D because i was forced to and i took the glasses off halfway. A cuz my eyes were hurting and B cuz it was totally pointless

Old 01-29-2011, 11:40 PM

627 posts, read 1,295,756 times
I didn't read the article but I can't stand 3D. I really didn't enjoy the 3 movies I watched.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies