Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 02:00 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,880,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by go falcons View Post
Lots of really great films mentioned here. I am going to add a made for TV film to the list that came out late 1980's early 1990 's and that is "War and Remembrance " wit Robert Mitchum and Jane Seymore.
Did you see the first miniseries that W & R was a sequel to-Winds of War? They both come from books by the same name written by Herman Wouk. I read them but there was a lot of details about movement of the war front and other things that weren't included in the movies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2011, 02:04 PM

1,050 posts, read 3,524,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoZ View Post
I think by far the most well-done Holocaust movie is Schindler's List.

I definately agree Schildler's List..........It was heart wrenching.

Old 02-05-2011, 05:01 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
I loathed Schindler's List ... it's nothing but tripe. Oskar Schindler being deified for exploiting slave labor?

The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas, Life is Beautiful, the Holocaust miniseries and Judgement at Nuremburg were much more worthwhile and more true to life than Schindler. But the best Holocaust movie ever made was The Pianist. Period. It will be the film that Roman Polanski will forever be remembered for. Adrien Brody will never have a better performance.

Old 02-05-2011, 05:22 PM

5,008 posts, read 10,684,206 times
The Pianist
Sophie's Choice
Au Revoir Les Enfants
Europa, Europa
Black Book

There's also a new film out called An Unfinished Film, a documentary-style that is supposed to be very good.

Old 02-05-2011, 05:35 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
I loathed Schindler's List ... it's nothing but tripe. Oskar Schindler being deified for exploiting slave labor?

The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas, Life is Beautiful, the Holocaust miniseries and Judgement at Nuremburg were much more worthwhile and more true to life than Schindler. But the best Holocaust movie ever made was The Pianist. Period. It will be the film that Roman Polanski will forever be remembered for. Adrien Brody will never have a better performance.
Gonna have to disagree with you here, Domer. Yes, Schindler's List was sentimental and had glaring flaws, but Schindler himself, while very much a human being with his own flaws, was the real deal, he spent his fortune helping his workers, became destitute and ended up being supported by Jewish organizations after the war. He died penniless.

I had my own problems with Life is Beautiful. If you just look at it as some sort of fable about human strength through love and imagination, it's okay I guess.
But true to life? Don't know about that.

Very much enjoyed Judgement at Nuremburg.

Old 02-05-2011, 06:11 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
The reason I love Life is Beautiful so much is for the same reason I love The Bicycle Thief. Italy gets overlooked in the WWII department. LIB is a true love story about the bonds of fatherhood and how far a man will go to protect his son. I feel tussle way about The Road.

Yea, we'll have to agree to disagree on Schindler. The only performance worth a hoot was Ralph Fiennes ... His will go down in movie history as one of the great villains ever on film.

Old 02-05-2011, 06:14 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,312,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go falcons View Post
Lots of really great films mentioned here. I am going to add a made for TV film to the list that came out late 1980's early 1990 's and that is "War and Remembrance " wit Robert Mitchum and Jane Seymore.
Great miniseries that followed "The Winds of War." I have them in my collection because they are a couple of my favs.

Old 02-05-2011, 06:22 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,312,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Very much enjoyed Judgement at Nuremburg.
That's another one in my collection. What a strong cast!!!

Spencer Tracy
Maximillan Schell
Marlene Dietrich
Burt Lancaster
Mongtomery Clift
Richard Widmark
Judy Garland
Werner Klemperer
Even Capt. Kirk is in it.

The two who impressed me the most were Schell and Widmark as the defense attorney and the prosecutor. I rewatch that movie from time to time. It's a classic.

Old 02-05-2011, 06:39 PM

744 posts, read 2,481,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
Did you see the first miniseries that W & R was a sequel to-Winds of War? They both come from books by the same name written by Herman Wouk. I read them but there was a lot of details about movement of the war front and other things that weren't included in the movies.
I did see "Winds of War "and liked it as well. I have not read either of the books but my mother did and I remember her commenting about the same thing that you mentioned.
What impressed me was that it was the first time that film makers were allowed to film in Aushwitz concentration camp ( sp ?).The scenes they shot there were especially powerful to me.

Old 02-06-2011, 05:32 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Italy gets overlooked in the WWII department. .
I loved Fellini's Roma, but WWII was just a part of this semi-biographical film. Still, you do get a feel for what things were like under Mussolini.

Check out Roberto Rossellini's War Trilogy.

Also, this is a book I just loved. If not sentimentalized, it would make a great movie. A Thread of Grace
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies