Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 09:40 AM

6,266 posts, read 19,166,056 times

Advertisements

Absolutely!!! All 3 are outstanding. I love "That Thing You Do" and The Green Mile......well totally awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoAdrian View Post
Another Vote for "What Dreams May Come." Robin Williams and Cuba Gooding Jr. are both amazing in that movie.

One of my favorites ... "That Thing You Do!" with Tom Hanks and Liv Tyler. Just a totally fun movie about a garage band becoming one-hit wonders in the '60s ... and their whilrwlind trip from Pennsylvania nobodies to L.A. superstars. It always makes me feel good, every time I see it.

And one more from Tom Hanks -- "The Green Mile." Intensely moving performances from everyone in the cast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2007, 07:31 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,295,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Flash Gordon. Okay, the critics were right on this one. It's absolutely terrible. But it is so absolutely terrible that it transends its own terribleness to awesome. It is SOOOOOOO bad that it is fantastic.
OMFG!!!! SO TRUE!!! I'm drawn to that movie whenever I see it like I'm rubbernecking a trainwreck or something.... Bad Acting, the WORST special effects I've ever seen. Throw in a theme song that Queen must have been paid a billion dollars to do (otherwise why would they associate themselves with this film) and you have INSTA-CLASSIC!!!!

Old 07-23-2007, 07:32 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,295,651 times
As for mine

I've mentioned "A Simple Plan" in another thread. Very good movie in a "What would I do in that situation" kind of way...

Also "Beautiful Girls"..... One of my all-time favorites.

Old 07-24-2007, 08:58 AM

3,102 posts, read 1,113,238 times
Robin Williams, Nathan Lane & Gene Hackman in "The Birdcage" is the funniest movie I have ever seen. I watch it over & over. I quote lines from it almost on a daily basis. It is laugh till it hurts funny.

I also enjoyed "Monster's Ball" with Billy Bob Thornton & Halley Berry.

Old 07-24-2007, 10:04 AM

22,920 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFury View Post
Also "Beautiful Girls"..... One of my all-time favorites.
I love that movie, too. But I don't remember it being critically panned. It had sort of mixed reviews. Some critics loved it. Others kind of went...meh. Yeah, I love the movie. Great performances all around. Even Rosie O'Donnell is great in it.

Did you watch that TV show October Sky (at least I think that was the name of it) on ABC last season? It was done by the same guy who made Beautiful Girls and is set in the same town. Different characters though.

Old 08-29-2007, 09:58 PM

18,015 posts, read 27,463,514 times
True Romance. Don't think it hit critical acclaim when it first came out, thus a great B-movie. Dennis Hopper was so awesome.

Anyone ever here of WW and The Dixie Dancekings? Not bad. But my favorite Burt Reynolds flick would be White Lightning.

For Clint Eastwood, it would be Thunderbolt and Lightfoot.

For Jack Nicholson, you've got The Last Detail.

For Chuck Norris, you've got Silent Rage.

12 Chairs. Repo Man. Return to Macon County. A Boy and His Dog.

Old 08-30-2007, 06:22 AM

6,266 posts, read 19,166,056 times
A Boy and His Dog is indeed a great movie.
I also love "What Dreams May Come" with Robin Williams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
True Romance. Don't think it hit critical acclaim when it first came out, thus a great B-movie. Dennis Hopper was so awesome.

Anyone ever here of WW and The Dixie Dancekings? Not bad. But my favorite Burt Reynolds flick would be White Lightning.

For Clint Eastwood, it would be Thunderbolt and Lightfoot.

For Jack Nicholson, you've got The Last Detail.

For Chuck Norris, you've got Silent Rage.

12 Chairs. Repo Man. Return to Macon County. A Boy and His Dog.

Old 08-30-2007, 01:23 PM
CBB

481 posts, read 2,242,150 times
NOBODY'S FOOL
FRIED GREEN TOMATOES
THE BIG CHILL
PARADISE
SOMETHING TO TALK ABOUT

There are so many ... Mostly women's films, I think.

Old 09-02-2007, 10:37 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,681,129 times
Somebody's got to say it ...
Ishtar - with Warren Beatty & Dustin Hoffman.

"Hannover Street" with Harrison Ford & Christopher Plummer has got to be one of the most ... (trying to find a word here...) bittersweet, heaviest movies ever, and the score is beyond beautiful. Downright haunting. I break up during the opening credits!

Old 09-02-2007, 11:52 PM

578 posts, read 2,529,594 times
Default I'll try Coupe DeVille since all my other picks are on long wait lists

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
I find movies that don't win major awards to be some of the most entertaining.
One of my all time favorites is Coupe Deville. Stars Alan Arkin, Patrick Dempsey, Daniel Stern and others. I won't give away the plot but it's a feel good movie with a meaning.
Another I happened across and really like is Tea With Mussolini. I was really surprised at how much I enjoyed it. Cast includes a great performance by Cher, Maggie Smith,Judi Dench,Lily Tomlin,Joan Plowright. It is sort of a complex movie but well worth watching.
I totally agree with the (nobody blowing a horn) for the "Tea w/Mussolini". I also, find that Cher is FANTASTIC when she plays in movies. I wish she would have done some more during that time when she played the mother of the lion-faced boy? what was that his name was rockie, and she was a biker mom named Rusty? the name of the flick was "Boy in the Mask? or Mask" something like that,,,,and when she played (during those yrs.) the woman that slapped the sh*t outta Nick Cage in her other appearance (winning the Oscar) that year for it.

I recently saw a foreign (swedish) film that WAS HORRIBLE, stupid unless you were on LSD, so I guess that's what I missed. Called "Songs from the Second Floor"...set in the future with the symbolisms, artsie-fartsie kinda thing....It had to be explained to you with "well, the scuba gear-wearing businessman represented the struggle for rights of bla bla bla".... OOoohhh I hate that kinda sh*t.... I'm not an idiot but then again, I shouldn't have to "interpret" a film/art/music thru some other ass**le's left brain, eh? fuggaboudit!!!
whew, I guess that makes me feel better anyone else felt cheated with an Artsie film like that? that is to say; every Critic raving about it, and you "JUST DONT GET IT".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies