Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 09:11 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,444,223 times

Advertisements

I never saw the movie until today when it was on ABC Family. I remember when it first came out and all the hoopla, awards, etc.....

I don't get it. The movie wasn't really THAT good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 09:14 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,336,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
I never saw the movie until today when it was on ABC Family. I remember when it first came out and all the hoopla, awards, etc.....

No, it was just long. It was a decent movie, I did cry when the boat sank and again when Jack died but it's not anything I would watch over and over again so I too was lost on the accolades it received. I did love the soundtrack though.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:16 PM

874 posts, read 1,644,344 times
I didn't care for it. It's not bad though. Did it get awards or something? lol

Old 02-20-2011, 09:19 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,350,733 times
Ah, The Titanic...I was 19 years old when this movie came out. I remember loving the movie, the soundtrack, the characters and crying at the end. Now that I'm older, this movie doesn't impress me as much anymore. I see too many cliches and cheesy lines, too many mistakes (she is running with the necklace in one shot and without it in the other).

However, don't forget, this movie was made at the end of the 90s. In the last decade, the technology has gotten so much more advanced (especially with 3D movies). At a time, we all thought that the special effects and depiction of the ship sinking was unbelievable, right now, we are not so impressed. Besides, it makes a difference whether or not we are watching it on the big screen or on TV.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:25 PM

1,863 posts, read 4,290,032 times
I remember people running to the movies over and over to see this film. I still haven't made it to the end!

Old 02-20-2011, 09:29 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,336,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
However, don't forget, this movie was made at the end of the 90s. In the last decade, the technology has gotten so much more advanced (especially with 3D movies). At a time, we all thought that the special effects and depiction of the ship sinking was unbelievable, right now, we are not so impressed. Besides, it makes a difference whether or not we are watching it on the big screen or on TV.
I think that was probably it. I saw it at the movie theater and the way the ship sank was shocking.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:41 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,775,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post

No it wasn't really...You're right....it was all hype just to make money...Hollywood also likes to get subtle messages into the minds of people is what I think

Old 02-21-2011, 06:44 AM

1,083 posts, read 1,188,161 times
I'll admit that it wasn't all that great looking back on it now....but I believe Avatar just beat it's record for the highest grossing film ever made. (Correct me if I'm wring there, I haven't had my second cup of coffee yet. ) That says something about it. It was pretty cool for the 90's.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:06 AM

891 posts, read 2,444,101 times
it is the type of movie you feel. if you don't feel it you don't really like it too much. if you do feel it then yes you think it was great.

I thought it was great.

But I can understand if you don't feel the love story and care about the story then it is just a boat hitting an iceberg.

omigawd, I think you watching it on ABC family with commercials (and probably some parts cut out) is a lot different from watching it on the big screen.

Old 02-21-2011, 12:05 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,690,958 times
I am embarrassed to admit that I watched the film for Leo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies