Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 02:52 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,090,041 times

Advertisements

Awful movie.

I was badly hoping it could have been on par with the absolute quality of District 9. Instead, it was one of the worst movies I'd ever seen.

Cheesy dialogue.

Battle/action scenes lacking context (though, I will admit, that some of the special effects and shots were pretty neat - that's where it ends).

Supreme lack of critical thinking from characters.

Terrible character development.

All characters and dialogue are extraordinarily one-dimensional - everything is very black and white.

Unbelievable over-use of triumphant, dramatic music to the point that it really comes off as a propaganda film for joining the Marines. I don't know how many times I had to sit through, "Repeat after me - marines don't quit!" with the uplifting, triumphant orchestra, or a "You're the bravest marine I've ever met" and cue the awful music.

Way to take a terrific concept for a movie and just turn it into the cheesiest, hackneyed and cliched piece of crap - I mean, this was bad on all levels.

Wait for it on Netflix, if at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2011, 02:59 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,746,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parti Rhinocéros View Post
Awful movie.

I was badly hoping it could have been on par with the absolute quality of District 9. Instead, it was one of the worst movies I'd ever seen.

Cheesy dialogue.

Battle/action scenes lacking context (though, I will admit, that some of the special effects and shots were pretty neat - that's where it ends).

Supreme lack of critical thinking from characters.

Terrible character development.

All characters and dialogue are extraordinarily one-dimensional - everything is very black and white.

Unbelievable over-use of triumphant, dramatic music to the point that it really comes off as a propaganda film for joining the Marines. I don't know how many times I had to sit through, "Repeat after me - marines don't quit!" with the uplifting, triumphant orchestra, or a "You're the bravest marine I've ever met" and cue the awful music.

Way to take a terrific concept for a movie and just turn it into the cheesiest, hackneyed and cliched piece of crap - I mean, this was bad on all levels.

Wait for it on Netflix, if at all.
Agreed. Repetitive in their speech : " ( G ) Johnny, do you see that alien ?, ( J ) Yeah, I see that alien ( G ) I see that alien too ! ( Just dumb stuff like that all through the movie .....................

Old 03-12-2011, 08:45 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,379,327 times
Thanks for the reviews, just saved us $15

Old 03-13-2011, 08:49 AM

1,543 posts, read 2,995,260 times
Yikes! Some of you are scary hard to entertain.

The movie was probably one of the best action films I had seen in a long time. Just don't expect to be entertained "intellectually" like many of these posters were expecting. Action films are not really suppose to be entertaining your intellectual curiosity. What it could have done worse is to have included a lot of action scenes not because of the action but to look cool like so many action films do. And then include horrible lines. That is worse than Battle LA. The film is good to watch if you want to see some hardcore battle scenes that would be reminiscent of a video game like HALO.

Old 03-13-2011, 11:54 AM

2,409 posts, read 3,040,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I got dragged off to see the movie today. I said I wouldn't go but I was being polite and went anyway. None of us liked it at all. In fact this is absolutely one of the worst movies I have ever seen. Anyone of us could have been in this movie, because there is no acting experience needed for the parts play. There is no character development at all. All it is and nothing more are the marines shooting it up with the aliens. I think I saw 3 or 4 civilian players in the film and nothing more. Very small bit parts they had. No wonder the reviews are so bad. I really wonder why an actor would take a part in such crap. Actually I wonder why quality films are so difficult for Hollywood to make any more. This subject matter could have been made into a decent film, but evidently the film makers feel differently.
Saw it last night and it was entertaining with all the military crap but other than that was a terrible film. NO character development at all. . No love story. No development of the aliens, i.e. where they came from, what kind of technology they had etc. It was shoot em up nonstop action from the beginning. Just a really stupid nonsensical movie. It could have been an amazing epic movie. Also it had NOTHING to do with the original Battle of Los Angeles UFO consipracy theory. Nothing at all. Don't even know why they named it Battle of LA.

Old 03-13-2011, 11:55 AM

2,409 posts, read 3,040,337 times
Also did anyone notice when they first went down into the sewer it was complete dark outside and then when they came back up after finding the command and control center is was completely light outside? Terrible movie blooper and one more nail in the coffin for the movie.

Old 03-13-2011, 12:33 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,145,396 times
I liked the movie it was very entertaining. Some of you posters seem to like to read to much into a movie and what them to explain every little thing that happens in great detail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
Also did anyone notice when they first went down into the sewer it was complete dark outside and then when they came back up after finding the command and control center is was completely light outside? Terrible movie blooper and one more nail in the coffin for the movie.
I thought that was odd, they were only down there for a few mins.

Old 03-13-2011, 01:20 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,746,538 times
One of the scenes ( I saw this a few times ) Someone was either shot or thrown down to the ground by an aliens, but how they acted * after * was not believable. When you are shot you are going to be dazed and pale, stunned if you will, but they had charactors acting so * normal * and popping their head up as if they had a splinter in their finger !

I was taught in Drama class that acting is * believing * and if you can't get your audience to believe your charactor, then you are sunk

Old 03-13-2011, 01:27 PM

10,028 posts, read 9,500,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkat26 View Post
I am kinda skeptical to see this movie, since I have never seen an alien invasion pulled off in a way that could even be remotely close to being believable.
Alien invasion in Los Angeles? No comment....

Old 03-13-2011, 05:14 PM

1 posts, read 1,239 times
This movie made Sky Line seem like an Oscar winning production. If you need to waste time count White Volkswagons passing you on the street. But, don't pay your hard earned money on this production and I use this word loosely in this case...!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies