U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-05-2011, 10:20 AM

11,259 posts, read 8,242,799 times

Advertisements

Since " Yogi Bear" tanked I thought maybe they could do a new movie aimed at kids and their baby boomer grandparents and generation X parents.
I'd have it based on three cartoons, each about 30 minutes in length.
I'd start off with " Stop That Pigeon" their classic comedy cartoon. For casting I'd go with Jim Carrey as Dick Dastardly, a computer animated Muttley, Jack Black as Klunk, and Seth Green as Zilly. I've worked up a script outline but they could do their own.
Then I'd have them do " The Perils of Penelope Pittstop". With Steve Carrell as Sylvester Sneakly/ The Hooded Claw and any young starlet thats popular nowadays as Penelope. I kind of thought Hillary Duff but maybe she's not hip with kids anymore. For the "Anthill Mob" they could use computer animation to shrink down actors. I could see Brad Garrett( LOL) or Ray Romano as Clyde, maybe Andy Richter in there too.
Then maybe do one thats all computer animated, say "Top Cat", with all voice overs done by well known actors. Or maybe a live action " The Jetsons" Go back to the classic 60s cartoons.
Hollywood is rehashing lots of old ideas and maybe I just gave some hack writer and producer a million dollar idea, but oh well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 10:43 AM

2,421 posts, read 3,293,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Since " Yogi Bear" tanked I thought maybe they could do a new movie aimed at kids and their baby boomer grandparents and generation X parents.
I'd have it based on three cartoons, each about 30 minutes in length.
I'd start off with" Stop That Pigeon" their classic comedy cartoon. For casting I'd go with Jim Carrey as Dick Dastardly, a computer animated Muttley, Jack Black as Klunk, and Seth Green as Zilly. I've worked up a script outline but they could do their own.
Then I'd have them do " The Perils of Penelope Pittstop". With Steve Carrell as Sylvester Sneakly/ The Hooded Claw and any young starlet thats popular nowadays as Penelope. I kind of thought Hillary Duff but maybe she's not hip with kids anymore. For the "Anthill Mob" they could use computer animation to shrink down actors. I could see Brad Garrett( LOL) or Ray Romano as Clyde, maybe Andy Richter in there too.
Then maybe do one thats all computer animated, say "Top Cat", with all voice overs done by well known actors. Or maybe a live action " The Jetsons" Go back to the classic 60s cartoons.
Hollywood is rehashing lots of old ideas and maybe I just gave some hack writer and producer a million dollar idea, but oh well.
Why not just do a "Wacky Races" movie? Both of those shows were spin-offs from this series

Old 03-07-2011, 12:07 PM

43,861 posts, read 27,813,572 times
I'm not sure these original cartoons can be revamped to a new generation. It still behooves me as to how Scooby-Do passed this one off so well.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:28 PM

8,514 posts, read 11,210,223 times
I don't understand the thinking behind taking a classic cartoon and turning it into a live action movie. the overwhelming majority of cartoons just don't translate into live action. Yogi Bear, Alvin & the Chipmunks, the Flintstones ... all horrid movies.

One example I can think of that make break that rule would be Johnny Quest. Loved the original when I was a kid. Didn't care for the remake from a few years back. In the right hands, it would be a great movie.

"In the right hands" is the key phrase.

The problem with most movies based on cartoons (or most movies in general for that matter) is that they are made not because a filmmaker has a brilliant idea for a movie. They are made because someone in the marketing department says, "We could make X amount of $$$ with Y movie by cross leveraging the brand across various media." Then they put together a piece of hackwork.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies