Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 04:14 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times

Advertisements

Saw this yesterday and liked it. A good but not great movie. Gyllenhal and Farmiga are good actors, as are all the others. Very realistic scenes. Finding the terrorist made a good plot but I thought they put too much into explaining the "how" of Jake's character and not enough into the "how" of the person whose place he took.

Still worth seeing for those of us who like the genre.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2011, 08:20 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,837,211 times
Going to wait for it on dvd release

Old 04-03-2011, 11:32 AM

3,197 posts, read 2,851,678 times
Didn't like the ending...would have ended better if it ended
Spoiler
where they kissed and it was a freeze frame, and everyone was happy and smiling.
Fade to white there and it would have been 8/10 stars for me....instead its 5.5/10.

Old 04-03-2011, 12:17 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
Is this movie along the lines of if the airplane engine hadn't killed Donnie Darko, he would have lived to make Source Code?

Old 04-03-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Is this movie along the lines of if the airplane engine hadn't killed Donnie Darko, he would have lived to make Source Code?
Its been a while since I have seen Donnie Darko, but from what I remember about it and this movie, not really similar at all...its an interesting concept, the just break one of their own rules at the end of the movie, which is frustrating.

Old 04-03-2011, 01:34 PM

It's more about alternate universes and creating them.

Old 04-04-2011, 12:44 AM

2,346 posts, read 6,924,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
Didn't like the ending...would have ended better if it ended... Fade to white there and it would have been 8/10 stars for me....instead its 5.5/10.
I completely agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
...just break one of their own rules at the end of the movie, which is frustrating...
At first, I thought the same thing. After reading other comments on the film, I realize that isn't true.

Spoiler
Colter survives past the 8 minute mark at least twice: Once when he gets run over by the second train (you can tell this because he lives to see the aftermath of the explosion that marks the end of the 8 minutes), and once when he discovers the white van and is shot, lying there for an unspecified time. Each time, he isn't kicked out of the sim until he dies. The military doesn't know he's lasting longer than 8 minutes - but Colter does, certainly by the second time it happens. One interpretation is that he realizes that he can remain in that reality indefinitely as long as he doesn't die. That's why he is so eager to go back in one last time - he has figured out that this isn't just a sim, but a viable alternate reality for him, and he doesn't plan to return to the "real world".

Old 04-04-2011, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
I completely agree.

At first, I thought the same thing. After reading other comments on the film, I realize that isn't true.

Spoiler
Colter survives past the 8 minute mark at least twice: Once when he gets run over by the second train (you can tell this because he lives to see the aftermath of the explosion that marks the end of the 8 minutes), and once when he discovers the white van and is shot, lying there for an unspecified time. Each time, he isn't kicked out of the sim until he dies. The military doesn't know he's lasting longer than 8 minutes - but Colter does, certainly by the second time it happens. One interpretation is that he realizes that he can remain in that reality indefinitely as long as he doesn't die. That's why he is so eager to go back in one last time - he has figured out that this isn't just a sim, but a viable alternate reality for him, and he doesn't plan to return to the "real world".
Ahh...ok that spoiler makes sense. Eh..still would have preferred the fade to white.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:06 AM

Big G, I missed that entirely! Thank you for telling us.

Old 04-04-2011, 12:58 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,924,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Big G, I missed that entirely! Thank you for telling us.
Early in the film, Colter and Rutledge are chipping at each other. Rutledge tells Colter that he can't possibly understand the science behind the sim,and Colter rips Rutledge for being a desk jockey - not a "real" soldier.

The interpretation in my spoiler (which I didn't come up with - it's off IMDb) is just an extrapolation of that. Rutledge only believes his equations, while Colter uses his on-the-ground experience to figure it out using common sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies